Do you like entertainment from other countries?

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Hentai folder: 20.8GB... Guess that's a yes. :3

Seriously though as a Canadian on the west coast most of the entertainment (meaning video games and movies) I get is from the states or japan and I enjoy both.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I tend to dislike entertainment from my own country, unless it's nostalgic. It just all went downhill after 1998 & I started looking elsewhere.

I find UK comedies to be significantly funnier than American. Though if it's macabre humor it's funny from anywhere.

Music is where I really start doing some globetrotting:
*Mexico.
*Russia.
*Italy.
*Romania.
*Sweden.
*South Korea.
*Japan.

Been listening to foreign music for so long, that if I hear music in English, it just sounds like gibberish.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Anything with Rowan Atkinson in it like Black Adder and the Thin Blue Line. I also love Faulty Towers.

Japanese gameshows are the best thing I've ever witnessed.

PFCboom

Sep 20, 2012
I'm... not impressed... with the state of modern music coming out of the US. I can appreciate the odd pop song or electronic/house/whatever song, but on the whole, not great. That's why I prefer mostly European and a bit of Japanese music, as well as a handful of Youtube personalities (Erock, Brentalfloss).

American comedy is hit-and-miss for me. A handful of shows are genuinely funny and smart, but, as you would expect, most are... dumb. British comedy is just as hit-and-miss, though, and I really don't know any others besides.

Cartoons... oh boy. REALLY hit-and-miss, and this is a world-wide thing, I think. Through the ages, there's been the good, the bad, and the ugly. Some are hilarious, some are insultingly stupid, and some are so ass-retarded it frightens me that there are people who believe such tripe should be allowed.

Movies are largely the same as above, though I've noticed that when I see a foreign movie that I like, I tend to REALLY like it.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I do enjoy myself Guru Larry and Ashens, both being English shows.

I'm an anime fan, so there's that. I do enjoy Marvel and DC shows, which are from the USA.

Other then that, I don't usually look

Also, I like this guy because he's insane.

Rickolas Walrus

Mar 2, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
Anime, anime, JRPGs and more anime. Also manga.

I just don't bother with TV programmes in general. They're all pretty much "meh" 99% of the time.
This minus the manga (I have nothing against it I just don't read it). Not that I don't watch American stuff or live action, I just tend to find anime/animation more entertaining

Most of my music is foreign too, especially if it's heavier music. Maximum the Hormone, Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Meshuggah, Dir En Grey, that sort of thing

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I'm American, and I do enjoy stuff from other countries. I'm catching up on some anime, love a lot of Japanese games (seriously, they do boss fights better than anyone) and different movies from all over. Haven't seen to much TV other than anime. So, to summarize, yeah, I do.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I like alot of stuff form all over the place haha.

Games: Australia, America, Europe, Japan.

Cartoons/anime: Japan

TV Serials: Some form all over the place to be honest. I don't mind Law & Order or Dexter, but things like NCIS/Law&Order : LA make me want to start hitting people for ripping off a good show and trying to make a spinoff for the idiots. Hate all forms of reality TV shows with a passion though.

Movies(including anime): Australia: Tommorow when the War Began" pretty much made any American move involving teenagers look like a piece of shit (or revealed it to be). Teenagers don't have to be dumb as shit or one dimensional America. Remember that.
Japan: for their anime movies of course.
America: Can do some good stuff when they put their mind to it.

GB-1025

Jul 30, 2012
Absolutely. Over the past few months my friends have been making me watch Miyazaki movies including Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Princess Mononoke and I am loving every moment of it! Plus they introduced me to 'Panty and Stocking', which was definitely something else... and it was awesome. Though the bulk of my international entertainment mainly comes in the form of music. There's the Beatles, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and a handful of other rock bands. Plus there's the Vocaloid movement which has basically conquered Japan. About 1/3 of the songs on my ipod are sung by Vocaloids.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
I enjoy many different forms of entertainment from around the globe, but not a great deal from my home country, The U.K.
I prefer the English sense of humor much more than American's, which I find a bit OTT at times. Though some American comedies are amongst my favorites. i.e Curb your enthusiasm. A lot of my childhood cartoon memories are mostly American made too.
I do prefer American drama's too, specifically HBO's stuff, like The Wire.
In all honesty though, I don't watch T.V very often (I don't own one) as I find most of it gut wrenchingly bad.

My bookshelves, I would say, are 40% American, 30% Russian, 10% English, 10% French with the last 10% authors being from 'elsewhere'

I predominantly listen to American and French underground hip hop but also listen to a fair amount of electronica/ambient from the U.K

I generally enjoy films from everywhere though, bar maybe B/Hollywood. In fact, me and my wife do a thing every month were we get a map and pick a country at random, then the following weekend we will watch a whole bunch of films from that country, eat their traditional foods, drink their traditional alcohol and listen to a few songs from said place.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Australian. The only things I watch on TV, and even then only through streaming onto my PC, are Doctor Who, various Anime, and Joss Whedon stuff. Everything else? Meh. Hate American TV, and I've already watched my way through the good British stuff so I'm left with just Doctor Who as the one on-going show to watch, Anime there's too much of to ever see all of it and a lot of its great, and Joss Whedon... Need I even comment?

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
im Australian and most things i enjoy are from America
drama's like- dexter,breaking bad, game of thrones, SVU
comedy shows like-big bang theory and modern family
and movies of course.

from japan- anime

UK- comedy shows like the IT crowd, older shows like allo allo

as for Australia we have pretty good music qiuz shows like rockwiz .

the only aussie film i really enjoyed is romper stomper. not much else

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Another Aussie here. I love UK comedy, at the moment I'm watching Dr. Who, Threesome and The Office and as for US tv, only some comedy, Portlandia, Parks and Recreation and I used to watch NCIS.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Mostly Japanese everything and British TV shows.

British TV shows are DA BOMB! The Inbetweeners is still one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

and Japan just never seems to disappoint.
Jrock > Any other countries rock and roll
Jpop > Any other countries pop (And most forms of music in general)

Anime = awesome
Japanese game shows are the best
Japanese horror movies put all other horror movies to shame

JRPGs = awesome
Other Japanese games that aren't New Super Mario Brothers Wii

Manga > American comic books (Yeah I said it)

Lots of the best shows are filmed in Canada, the UK and New Zealand
And I'm sure that a lot more things I love are developed outside the US that I don't even now about.

I would be remiss if I didn't post this

Oh, and I can't forget about Australian video game reviews and Canadian sketch comedy
[sub] yeah, I am talking about Zero Punctuation and LRR... thanks for noticing[/sub]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I grew up on a lot of British music and a few movies. Hell, my dad even rented some anime early on in the VCR boom. Yes, I'm that old. I grew up on British books and British and Canadian television (though less of the latter). Later on, I started watching action movies from Japan and China, then some drama. I got more into anime, though I'm still not that diehard about it. I'll listen to music from just about anywhere, though I have preferences for British and North American music.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I don't watch TV very often, but when I do, I prefer Canadian.

(Rick Mercer, 22 Minutes, Dragons Den, Arctic Air, Mr. D, Sanctuary)

And Mass Effect blows everything else out of the galaxy, everything. Just by existing.

I do find Colbert and Stewart mildly amusing though, not bad time wasters (which is what most TV is)

I'm definitely an Otaku, Japan definitely produces the best TV shows, only Dr. Who comes anywhere close to the best anime in terms of intellectual quality.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Swedish tv sucks, so heck yeah I like entertainment from other countries. Especially Japan, I'm a big fan of manga. Pretty much everything I watch/read/listen to is foreign.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
EstrogenicMuscle said:
That video, I'm not sure how to put this...I think it might have broken my brain. Catchy music that wasn't unappealing to listen to paired with so much weird imagery that I'm pretty sure I've seen in dreams when I was extremely ill. It wasn't bad though and I would watch\listen to more of it. Maybe not all the time but I would indulge in that again.

Yes, I do like entertainment from outside the US, I watch Doctor Who and I watched the original runs of Torchwood before it became American entertainment by partnering with Starz. On the CBC there used to be a show called Royal Canadian Air Farce that was a sketch comedy and satire show of current events that I used to watch every Friday night until it ended, they did a few New Years specials after that but I'm not sure if they even do those anymore. Also the Red Green show where duct tape could fix anything and if it's not broke you're not trying.

I used to be more interested in anime but now it's been boiled down to pretty much Ghost in the Shell, and I do enjoy watching the real Godzilla movies produced by Toho, that crappy one with Matthew Broderick in doesn't count and I fear for the one that's in production now. Also, I picked up a Gamera 2 for 1 blu-ray for $5 that wasn't bad either. I know that's a pretty narrow slice of Japanese entertainment to sample but whatever.