Do you like love and Romance in video games?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
It the as with love and romance in any other medium, if it's written in as a central part of the story/plot then I'm fine with it. If it's shoehorned in for no reason other than "look the protagonist has emotions but we're too lazy to have them express it in other ways" then it's shit and the writers should check themselves, for they have wrecked themselves.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
In almost every case, no. I've almost never seen it done properly or worth the time to go through with it. It feels empty or artificial and really, really sudden. The only romance I can actually remember liking in a video game was in Bravely Second. Yew and Magnolia's development was gradual, realistic, sweet without being sappy, and most importantly NOT the defining attribute of one or both of their characters. Bookish knight with heart remains bookish knight heart. Enthusiastic demon hunter from the moon remains enthusiastic demon hunter from the moon. They grow as people, but not exclusively (or even primarily) due to one another. It was thoroughly refreshing.

The game's other romances ranged from pretty tolerable to eye-rolling.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
someguy1231 said:
In its current state? No, not at all. Video games, to put it plainly, just suck at romance. Even if you got the best romance writers in the world working on a game, I think the nature of video games themselves ensures that it won't be well-received by most players. This is because, when it all comes down to it, there are really only two ways to depict romance in a video game:

1. The first is what I call the "cinematic" method. Here, romance is essentially forced on the player. The story dictates that the protagonist falls in love with their love interest, and there's nothing they can do about it. Examples include most Final Fantasy games with romance in them. The obvious drawback to this is that player agency is removed and the whole romance can appear tacked-on and unnecessary.

2. The second is what I call the "Bioware" method. Here, romance is essentially something the player can "win" from certain NPCs if they say the "right" things or make the "right" choices. This often comes across as a shallow multiple-choice test with some cheesy dialogue or a cutscene of dry-humping as a reward. It also often involves NPCs the player has only recently met and yet somehow fall head-over-heels for them, which feels incredibly immersion-breaking and too player-centric to me. Sometimes, this whole mechanic can create some really galling gameplay-story segregation. In Dragon Age: Origins, you can increase NPC's "approval" by buying them gifts. And yes, if their "approval" gets high enough, you can romance them. I found this whole mechanic eerily similar to prostitution. Not saying that prostitution itself is a bad thing, but for a game that wanted me to believe that this was "true wuv", that whole thing seriously undermined it.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind if no video game ever tried to depict romance ever again. Games just aren't the right medium for it.
This about sums it up actually. The closest I've seen to it being done well was in Mass Effect, while it still amounted to picking the right conversation options and what-not, the actual love making scene didn't come until right before a major mission that could've very well been a suicide mission and therefore the character connection was believable. This would've been even better if the relationship you started in the first game carried over into the second and third game, but of course they didn't do that.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
FF10 and FF7- crisis core I think used it well to show human interaction between characters and increase the "personal" stakes. And makes the endings that much more tear jerking/bittersweet.

peabuddie

Mar 13, 2017
I've only played the Bioware games where you can take it or leave it or Uncharted where it's part of the story. If there were romances in other games I've played I don't remember them, I've been gaming a very long time and have played hundreds of games, whatever romance may have been there is buried in my memory under gameplay and story elements that DO stick with me. (maybe some old final fantasy's, Mario Bro's heh?). In any case, I couldn't care less if it's there or not as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay and my enjoyment of it.