Do you like your first name?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Andrew. Apparently means manly and strong as well as courageous and warrior. So it's not that bad
isn't that derived from the greek word Andros, wich just means 'dude'?

My first name is allright. It's not all too common without being forcedly creative.

Marmalade

Mar 23, 2009
I don't really have anything against my name but sometimes when people say it it feels like it's a kids name. I know that sounds a bit weird but that's just how it feels. I don't go by something else and I have no plans on changing it. Filip is who I am and whom I always will be, even if I sometimes don't like it that much.

Weealzabob

Jun 4, 2011
Alistair. I really like my name. It's uncommon, but it's an actual name. It's a gaelic name. (despite being a bastardized version of the Greek Alexander)(and I just learned from Wikipedia that the way I spell it the anglican way.) And it means 'protector' which is also cool.

But despite really liking it, people mostly call me by an abbriviated version. Which is fair enough, besides I like the abbrieviated version as well.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I hate my name. Detest it.

Catriona-Sian.

Never met anyone else with a double barrelled first name. -.- Not to mention no one pronounces the first part right (It's said Katrina.). It's a mix of Gaelic and Welsh because my mum's Scottish and my dad's Welsh and they couldn't pick a name so they went with both. It means God's pure thoughts.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
El Dwarfio said:
True Robert Walpole was never called Prime Minister, but he was the first man to hold the position and powers that the Prime Minister holds and is therefore known unanimously throughout history, as the first Prime Minister of great Britain. The distinction is quite petty.
Yah, I know... Walpole was basically de facto PM from about 1730 onwards when Townshend retired. I was just being facetious in the extreme! -_-

But anyway, thanks for your infinite arrogance and uh... wisdom.
You're welcome! Plenty more where that came from!

[sub][sub][sub]And next time I'll try not to sound so up myself... ¬_¬[/sub][/sub][/sub]

OT: As an aside, I've never really had my middle name picked up on even though it's very rare (think a physicist and a WWII Luftwaffe general)...

Russirishican

Feb 9, 2011
My first name is Dillon, even worse is that I spell it like Dillon not Dylan, so when people figure out that my name isn't spelled the normal way they try to bullshit in whatever they think it is.
I've gotten, Dilan, Diilon, Dillion, Dylon, ect.

It just doesn't sound cool either.

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
Well, I don't have a problem with my name, but the world seems to. My first name is Dominick but I am not even Italian (I'm Irish). Plus the spelling is always problematic with other people. I can never find anything with my name on it with the right spelling. [sarcasm mode] Come on, people, what the hell is an "e" doing in there? And only 1 "i", how preposterous?[/sarcasm] And as a bonus (I count it as a pro or a con depending on my mood), I have a Christmas song that I must despise on principle.

So I have a love-hate relationship with my name. I'd have no problem with it if I lived in a vacuum (so to speak) but in the real world it gets annoying.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
BrotherSurplice said:
Alexei. Its pretty unusual where I come from (Britain). I have yet to meet any other Briton called Alexei and have only heard of one other; the Liverpudlian comedian Alexei Sayle, the man I am named after.

But in answer to the question, yeah I do like it. Its not massively wierd, and only seems unusual to most people I meet because of where I'm from, but it's unusual enough to be interesting to a lot of people.

However, if one more person tells me its a girl's name I will beat them to death with a portrait of Alexei Leonov.
Congratulations! I entered you in my "Coolest Name" contest and you won! Your prize is nothing except you get to go through life with a badass name.

Ashley (the boy's name) wins runner-up. It's true here in the US it's almost exclusively a girl's name, but I always thought it sounded cooler for a guy.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Scott. As names go, I think it's one of the ones that more prominently shapes your identity, particularly when part of your family's Scottish and you live elsewhere.

So I identify more with my Scottish heritage than my brother, although we both visit family there. I try to look into Scottish, and by extension British, history in my studies, and I keep my accent practiced (I grew up with one because of my mom, but it naturalized after a while).

I'd probably be a little different if I had a different name, I don't know how different. As to whether I like it? It's nice, I don't really think about it much, there's more interesting names but certainly many more less interesting ones.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Vanessa isn't too shabby really. I've known a few people who say they really like the name. As for me...eh, I'm a bit indifferent.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
No, not really. I don't even use it. I use my middle name, which isn't much better. :\