Do you live on your own?

Gavin Paton

Apr 20, 2011
I do live on my own, And yes its hard, keeping the place clean tidy ect best advice i can give is this pick a day to tidy if you only get one day off a week pick that day spend the whole day tidying if you must but trust me is nicer comming in from work to a clean place than a sty. and lord know noone wants to tidy after getting in from work. liveing with someone your not intamite with ( partner wife ect ) is that hardest thing to do as most ppl dont talk stuff over where as if you have a phisical thing both partys seem more wiling to work it out and divide the work and IF you do a good job some girls reward you ( you know what i mean ) as they are happier liveing in a clean home and if they do a good job you can treat them ( mabey not in same way as girl tend not to respond to that after busting there ass cleaning ) but a meal and DVD of there choice goes along way. ive done both liveing with ppl alone and with partner im 28 if you need advise. im happy to talk to you and good luck.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah I live "technically" on my own, it's me and my 2 year old daughter. If you think it's hard keeping tidy with just you making a mess you should see it with a rampaging toddler.

Best way to keep straight without doing massive cleaning bouts (which you grow to hate so you put them off and the place gets more of a mess) is multitask everything. Boiling the kettle? Don't go and sit back down waiting for it, use that time and wipe down surfaces. If there is stuff in one room that should be somewhere else then don't change rooms empty handed, take an empty plate out, or trash or whatever.

It takes a while to really get used to it but once you have the mindset you find that when you come to do "the dreaded housework" you have very little to actually do rather than attempting to clean and tidy the entire house/flat.

Also get rid of everything you don't use or need, clutter always makes things untidy and disorganised as you are constantly shifting things about.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Ytomyth said:
P.S. Living alone and on your own, when in a relationship everything went okay for me.
I didn't get most of what you said but this line really stood out, "living alone and on your own" is a redundant statement. "on your own, when in a relationship" is contradictory ...

I live alone and I like it ... well apart from the people living around me who are all noisy fuckers.

I get to be alone and do what I like, I can be as messy or as clean as I like and I can't be told off. Everything is how I like it to be, what more could I want?

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
I live alone. Well, I?m the only adult here. My daughter is 2. It?s kind of hard in this economy but as for staying tidy, I label stuff. My house doesn?t stay too neat with a toddler in her terrible twos. I vacuum every day, take out the trash every day, wash dishes every day. I organize my dirty laundry into two baskets; one for darks and lights. I do that as I go. There are two baskets in my room. Once a week, I put a cup of water with a capful of vinegar in the microwave and nuke it for about 1-2 minutes to wipe it down. My little one has started helping. She helps sweep the floor and I got a basic Swifter thing that she uses. She?s also started helping vacuum as well. I keep my bathroom clean by spraying it down after each use. Things like that.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
I used to live with my boyfriend for 9 years until we split up, now I live with our 7-year-old son. Weekends are the worst, I can never work up the effort to cook a "proper" meal just for myself, so I usually end up putting crappy frozen meals in the oven or microwave.

The thing I hate most is it's ALWAYS my turn to do the dishes. Ugh. Hate dishes. My place isn't dirty, but I do tend to let things get really cluttered before I do a huge clean, unless I'm forced to by the fact that there are people coming round or something.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Living alone is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I only do things when I want to. If it is not tidied up, I either don't care OR I do care, in which case I tidy up. It is a win-win-win-win situation.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Ytomyth said:
So, my questions; Do you live on your own? Any handy tips perhaps? Or if you want to just rant a bit about it, be my guest. :p
I live on my own. In terms of cleaning, I realized that the chore I avoid most is washing dishes, so I use disposable everything: paper plates, plastic forks, paper towels, tin foil to cover oven pans, etc. The only things I wash are the frying pan, spatula, and water glass (once a week).

For cleaning the bathroom, I recommend chemical resistant gloves from the hardware store. Much thicker and higher quality than the cooking and cleaning gloves that are usually sold in the home and bath section.

Also I lived with a shared kitchen for several years, and I kept most of my stuff in my room (I had a fridge to myself; if that was shared I'd look for another place to live) except for cooking oil and paper towels. I'd do the prep work before going out into the kitchen, so that time spent in the kitchen was minimized to just the time that the pan is on the stove.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
robot_slipper said:
The thing I hate most is it's ALWAYS my turn to do the dishes. Ugh. Hate dishes. My place isn't dirty, but I do tend to let things get really cluttered before I do a huge clean, unless I'm forced to by the fact that there are people coming round or something.
... y'know, as a mild clean freak, that actually sounds weird to me. Virtually everyone I've lived with finds doing the dishes somewhat therapeutic (and virtually everyone my sister's lived with as well, come to think about it). Sure there's an argument after every meal, but it's largely because everyone volunteers to do the dishes... o_o ...

OT: Anyway, no, I don't... which is odd. When I was at school/uni, I did live away from home, but now that I've got a job, score one for fuk'd logik... -_-

SeanTheBlueSheep

Nov 27, 2011
I'm afraid not. I'm still in school, so I live with my family.
Hopefully I'll go to uni somewhere else and move out though, and then when I finish uni, I'll be able to get a place of my own once I get a job.

To be honest, I'm both enthused and terrified by the concept. I want to be rid of my family because we're dysfunctional in so many senses of the word, but having to do absolutely everything for myself, while it is just a part of life worries me, because I'm so hopelessly irresponsible right now. I can only hope that at some point in the next two years I'll grow up.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
Wait, you live by yourself and you can't keep the place clean, or am I misunderstanding something?

I used to live with two of the worst roommates on the planet. I couldn't keep the place clean because they were absolute slobs. They rejoiced in their uncleanness. Oscar Madison would be ashamed of them. When they'd go away for the holidays and I had the place to myself, I'd clean the whole apartment just for fun. The best part: it would actually stay clean.

I've since moved back in with my parents because I can't afford to live solo, and I was going to kill said roommates. I don't mean that figuratively. I was, literally, thinking about killing them in the most brutal ways every second of the day. Would not have been difficult either.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
No, it's difficult for someone living on student finance to live alone. Though I think one I get a job it might be something worth considering. At least then the only washing up I have to do is my own.

Neko Pounce

WARGARBLE
Nov 15, 2010
Actually, yeah. I do live alone right now. I moved out of home a few weeks ago. There is only one problem I noticed with it, and that's the lonelyness.

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I am 20 years old and live with my mother and her boyfriend. Since i hate them both right now, the day i move out will most likely feel like being reborn. Despite the fact i live with two other people, i feel incredibly lonely. I guess i feel lonely because all my friends go to big 4 year universities whereas i go to community college

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Live at college and head home for the weekends sometimes.

I'd like to move to (live in) a place that is very far away from here but I wouldn't be able to support myself.