Do you look people in the eyes when you talk to them?

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
I'm trying to get the hang of it.
But I tend to just stare at whatever interests me without even noticing it though. >.>

Pessimismus

Nov 9, 2009
There's a select few people I can look directly in the eyes, one of them being the girl that makes me feel all funny in my pants. Other than that I tend to avoid it as much as I can since I've always had issues with eye-contact.

I did learn a neat little trick throughout the years though; as it turns out, if you look at someon's eyebrows or inbetween their eyes they will generally be unable to tell that you are not looking directly into their eyes. If you do this though, you will have to look away every now and then because, as I found out, when people think you're just staring directly into their eyes non-stop they get mildly creeped out.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I can stare into someone's eyes when they're talking to me, no problem. But I tend to look away a lot when I talk to them.

It makes me feel incredibly rude and I'm acutely aware of it. I strive to be able to hold eye contact in every new conversation, but when I look back on the moment, I find that I was more than likely staring at the floor.

God damnit.

Oh, and people who continue to wear sunglasses when you talk? You're bloody rude too, stop doing that!

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
If we're sitting down, facing each other, yeah.

Unless the conversation is awkward.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Appropriate eye contact is an important part of human interaction and body language. Making too much eye contact implies too much focus while not making enough implies disinterest or fear. People who don't make enough eye contact tend to be either very shy or have something wrong with them (Hi Autism, how you doin'!). Aside from potentially different cultural norms I have no idea why this is under discussion. It's like posting a forum topic on "Do you bath regularly?" It's a topic to ask if you belong to an abnormal group asked as if you expect the results to be equal or more so on the abnormal side.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Nope. I can barely look a person directly much less their eyes.

I guess it gets me feeling weird for some reason. Maybe the intimate thing?

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I normally make eye contact, but I'm not always staring into their eyes. But I have a habit of shifting my attention quickly, so I'm normally watching things behind people, talking while looking at something else, and the like. People have compared me to a cat before, watching every bit of movement and seeing what it is, then moving onto the next thing, but all without stopping talking.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Only when I want them to love me...

But yeah, I don't do it. I can do it and I do it in interviews but I hate it and it makes me feel shitty.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
I wish. I find it very uncomfortable, almost like a stare-down. This is actually a problem for me. People often think I'm not interested in the conversation because I'm looking at the table or something behind them. I've tried forcing myself to look people in the eye a little more, but then I'm very conscious about it and it ultimately kills the natural feel of the conversation.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
I normally look at their genital region actually, and if I see a bulge I know what I'll be doing for the next couple hours. So no.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Yes, I make eye contact, but not constant eye contact. Constant eye contact is reserved for a few occasions. However I make eye contact every now and then during a conversation. It feels natural.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I used to hardball people when I was younger, I'd just look everyone in the eye.

I find this kind of combatitive now though; I'd rather people be at ease around me, so it becomes a balancing act which I am not terribly adept at. While talking I tend to look people in the eye, but when around them I just want to acknowledge them and move on with the absolute minimum of awkwardness. If you look them continuously in the eye then they think you want something. Romance? A fight? But if you look away too obviously then you look shifty.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Princess Trollestia said:
I normally look at their genital region actually, and if I see a bulge I know what I'll be doing for the next couple hours. So no.
Your avatar makes this creepy and awesome.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
During formal occasions. But only then. I'm one of those people that deliberately evade direct eye contact. It's awkward and uncomfortable. That's not to say I avoid looking at them, though. I'll glance at them when I begin to speak and when I'm done speaking. In groups it's a sign to whomever I'm speaking to, and a sign that I'm done speaking. With a single person, it's just a sign that I'm done speaking.

Some people will try to tell me it's rude not to look them in the eyes, because it's like I'm not paying attention to them, but I disagree. It should be an unspoken fact that they're paying attention to you unless they're deliberately ignoring you.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Only if I feel comfortable around the people I'm talking to. What I do is look close to their eyes, but not directly as I'm very squeamish about looking directly into someone's eyes. I do that whenever I'm being serious.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I never used to.

When I was younger, I never looked people in the eye. I'd exclusively stare at the floor.

Now, I'm happy to hold eye contact - but I often let my gaze wander off so as not to make them feel uncomfortable.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Never really thought about it. I look people in the eye when I'm talking to them unless I'm engaged in some other activity whilst having the conversation, in which case I'll just sort of keeping shifting my gaze between the person, and the activity.

I thought this was what everybody did...

Joey Bolzenius

Sep 9, 2011
I always look someone in the eye when I'm talking to them or they talk to me. Unless of course my severe anxiety gets in the way.