Do you love or hate your job?

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
I've been fired at the amusement park a few months ago because of 'downsizing'. Sure, the hours were weird and late and the pay was shit, but I loved that job. I've loved every job I had in my life.
I worked as a servant at the amusement park, I worked as a city street sweep, and the best job I ever had was when I was running maintenance at a graveyard.

But The job I have now just SUCKS, I'm stuck in a post-order helpdesk office all day, answering emails and phone calls from angry assholes who don't have any patience or don't actually want a solution to their problem, but just want to yell at something!

The pay is great, the best I've ever had. I make almost 1400? a month, and the hours are from 8 to 5. But i'd trade my comfortable office chair for the graveyard shovel in a heartbeat!

So, do you love or hate your job? And if you do, what would you rather do?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I write reviews for 2 movie websites. The pay is incredibly low but I get to go to press screenings for free, well before the premieres, go to festivals, meet and interview cool filmmakers (I've met some of my favorite people thanks to the job), get free stuff and swag... so it's all very rewarding. My boss tells me I'm his best reviewer. And I "write for a living", which is rewarding on a self-esteem level. I love what I do (been doing so for nearly 4 years now). The money issue looms over constantly though. I recently asked and got a raise, but still there are only so many movies being released every month, and only so much stuff for me to write about. So I'm always on the hunt for some temp stuff to support the job I actually love.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I'm an architectural draftsperson full time. I do like my work though I don't like the pressure to pump out drawings so fast. I think I'm under less pressure then I think. It sucks getting up at 6am and getting home at 6pm for 5 days a week.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
i nothing my job.
i work 12 hour days and get a 4 day weekend and spend all day walking and moving heavy stuff which is good exercise but my job means when i do it well noone even notices and when i make 1 tiny mistake the bosses (4) are all over my ass.

i get paid very well for my industry but at the end of the day i'm just another cog in the wheel that busts my ass for one of the biggest companies in the world so that a bunch of fat cats can upsize their yachts and not lift a finger.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm studying, but after 1 year of theory on the school bench I now have 1.5 years of practical studies, working with someone who's been in the business for a while who teaches me while we work. I have 2 or 3 periods of 4-6 weeks back in school in between the work periods.
I am absolutely loving what I'm doing. I am studying to become a Police Officer (Finland)
Of course some of the stuff I've seen is a bit disturbing and maybe not too good for a 22-year-old but so far I'm handling it pretty well. Interesting as hell at least!

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I do healthcare security, with the horrible economy we've been getting alot more homeless and mentally ill people to deal with, and I've done some stuff in the line of duty that most people would lose sleep over.

Overall, I'm fine with the job as its not as 'subservient' to other departments I've worked in, and the pay is great. My only gripe is my graveyard shift, I've been at it a year and feel I'm the cusp of a burnout.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'm quite indifferent to my current job. Mainly because I haven't actually worked yet.

I'm a substitute teacher, but so far I haven't actually been called in so I haven't done any work so far. This is because the school year has just started and the teachers are well rested and all that. The pay I will receive is actually quite jaw dropping for someone who's used to being unemployed though.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I love my job. I lifeguard, and I work at an after school care, so I get paid to play games with kids.

It's pretty amazing

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My job is eh. I work out in a Garden Center at the local grocery store, so I mostly help old ladies find flowers for seven or eight hours a day. I get to be outside and I like all of my co-workers so it is a nice job.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I work in broadcasting. The job is good, as stressful and hectic as it can get (and this month it's absolutely horrid, thanks to a couple of big projects). The pay is definitely not up to par with the actual work done, but that's par for the course in this messed up country. The people I work with are great, which might not necessarily be the case with the people I work for. All in all, though, I like my job. Which is pretty much the reason I've not quit.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I work in an office. The work is pretty repetitive and monotonous but thankfully my role doesn't have me sat at a desk for 8 hours too much. The hours are quite flexible and the pay is okay given the what the average pay is usually for someone in my line of work. As for whether I like or not, I'm rather indifferent about it at this point, though I never thought I'd end up doing this type job. However monetary needs meant I kinda of needed to this job especially when other members of my family where losing theirs.

I think in general I just don't care too about the work as long as I get paid, even when I was doing jobs I really liked I would eventually get start getting bored and just going through the motions till pay day.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I work at a small indie movie theater. It's great.
I see maybe 50 people over the span of a 5 hour shift. And they're all over 50, so the worst problems they give us is getting lost. I get free soda, popcorn, and M&Ms. All the managers are cool. When no costumers are in the lobby, we just mess around. And there's a lot of down time--I mean in a 5 hour shift, there's at least two hours of just standing around and waiting.

There are a couple down sides: the pay is really low and I'm working, at best, 20 hours a week--which fits my school schedule pretty nicely. Oh and I have one or two cute co-workers who aren't 18, but I probably shouldn't say that on the internet (I just turned 19, so it's not creepy or anything. Just illegal and a little weird).

Broax

May 17, 2010
keniakittykat said:
But The job I have now just SUCKS, I'm stuck in a post-order helpdesk office all day, answering emails and phone calls from angry assholes who don't have any patience or don't actually want a solution to their problem, but just want to yell at something!
I've been working for customer support of a cable operator for the last two years... They pay is Ok but the work horrible.... Horrible........... People should really have an idea of what it's like working at customer support before calling it. And no, I'm not paid to be your emotional punching bag and/or therapist...

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I'm a combat medic in the US Army and I'm indifferent mostly. I enjoy what I do when we are actually doing something relevant to our job. Most of the time we dig around in shipping containers and do maintenance on our ancient track vehicles. We had 3 vehicles break down in 2 days this week. Wut. The mechanics can only work on one at a time so it will be awhile til we get them back.

Karthenak

Jun 19, 2013
Currently unemployed but I really did enjoy my last job. Was working as a cashier at a family business owned by my friends. Sadly they fell on tough times and had to shut the store down. Was a massive bummer.

Before that I worked as a dispatcher for the sheriff's office. Stressful to say the least.

And before that I worked at a child care run by a friend of the family. I work well with kids and the job suited me....for about 4 years. I'd imagine it is easier if they are your own kids, but let me tell you this much, that job is probably the greatest form of birth control on the planet.
"What? You mean doing that could bring one of 'those' monsters into this world? Noooohoho thank you."

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Before retiring of all the different types of jobs I held I hated ALL of them except for EMS dispatch. The meglomaniac in me could never resist the power of controlling people like RTS units and knowing the decisions I make can and do mean the difference between life and death. The managing of egos and psychology of crews, maintaining needed output and efficiency of over observant upper management. The feeling of doing something important and valuable for society. The "we never close and never take a day off" of the never ending sense of urgency to resolve the next problem and knowing there will always be new challenges. The unending complexity of having to contend with unforseeable circumstances and the perpetual problem solving logistics puzzles that you have to solve. The fact when you come in to work no two days will EVER be remotely the same and getting to push your own personal envelop on how quick witted and adaptable you really are.

Honestly, It was better than any game I ever played. The only job I could stomach to even volunteer to work overtime and joyfully would take double shifts and even back to back 24 hour shifts with only an 8 hour break to sleep. Honestly I would love to do it again but it is so intense an experience it consumes your entire life and begins taking a toll on your health and well being way too quickly. Trying to force your way through the deterioration more often than not ends in disaster. Its a burning the candle at both ends type of life burning out long before you can ever hope to fade away.

So that job I loved (though at the time much of the drama and politics had me short term memory loss hating it as you get pissed by specific events and almost as quick as an event becomes an issue it has become ancient history compared to the emergency of the moment) However my earlier days in communications fields trying to climb the corporate ladder I loathed almost as much as the field loathed me back.

So in my "retired" state I am actually back in school training in psychology to perhaps do a little work in that field and when I do finally get to the point I really want to slow down I will "retire" into teaching and then work till I am dead. Just another victim of a civilization built where people live vicariously through their vocations.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Used to love it, now it's changed and all corporate and stuff. Still like the people, but hate the job now.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Meh. I don't love it but I don't hate it. At the moment, it's just a means to an end.

I don't see myself there forever in spite of all the hints that I don't have to leave to progress more in a career. My main aim is to work so I can get money to pay off my pesky loans so I can go back to college. At the least, I plan to work there two years so I can have that on my resume finally. Then hunt for another job.

Not quitting though because resigning when you have no prospects is just foolish. If it takes me three years to find another job, I'll still have income for the important shit.

As for what I'd rather do? Short term, I want an office job or one where I sit a lot. Computers and stuff. I hate being on my feet all day which is what happens at my current job. So ultimately, I'll aim for that after my minimum 2 year stint where I currently am. If not an office, maybe a reception desk. I just wanna sit, damn it.