Do you love or hate your job?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I used to work as a janitor during the summer and high-school breaks.

It was good; inbetween shifts (6-8 hours, depending on how much litter people dropped, how much people ths store tended, ect) I'd get to know my co-workers. The pay was meh, and even though it was in southern Scotland, the heat was unbearable; it wasn't uncommon for people to bring deoderant to work.

They didn't have any toilets, though. I could manage easily. A lot of customers couldn't, though, and inbetween being shouted at, I'd bleakly say, "I'm just a janitor", while they constantly screamed at me for giving awful service with their kid holding their crotch and hopping on each foot. It would be funny if not for the fact that my boss had to come out of her office and have a huge argument with said customer about treating her staff with respect.

Sorry, I thought it got a little ranty there.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
All my jobs have been retail. And all I can say is retail flipping sucks! Maybe 60% of the time its those customers I would rather not exist 30% corporate bull and 10% actually doing something that helps someone who is cool or making a sale that is satisfying.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I love my job because everyone at work is wonderful and we have the best team I have ever been in.
we have a lot of problems in work it self, but we can laugh it off and I look forward to going to work every day.

at the end of the day because work is quite social it depends on who you are working with.
i try to be happy and positive and found that most people will return the favour.

Majorlagger

Feb 10, 2010
Absolutely LOVE my Job!, I Work at a Christian Camp Managing and Maintaining all of our Ropes courses and Activities, 3 Ropes Courses with 32 different elements, A Paintball Program, Downhill Mountain Bike Tours, 4x4 Off Roading Tours, 4 Zip Lines, and Best of all working with Kids and Sharing the Gospel. Love it

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I, until a few days ago, had a part-time job at the local pool as a lifeguard that I have had for years now. However, I and a few others are off to uni in a week or so, so it was all voluntary.

I rather liked it. The pay was good for a part-time school student's job, most of the worked entialed either watching people swim lengths or sitting at the front desk. Somewhat dull, but the few things that would make a shift exciting are the things you really don't want to happen, and when you're on the till/front desk I either read or did some revision until someone came in.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It depends really. I work in the cafe/restaurant at a National Trust property, and depending on how busy it is (this season has been very busy) it can either be terrible or a laugh. Everyone I work with is pretty cool, even my managers are good fun, but we're permanently horribly understaffed and there's not room in the budget to hire lots more people.

Given that this is a National Trust house the customers tend to be pensioners who can be lovely or bitter, entitled cunts. The other day an old man spent five minutes having a go at me because we don't sell cheese scones. What the fuck? Really? I can't understand how someone could either think that's how shops work or care that much about cheese fucking scones. Shops don't stock whatever might take your fancy at any given moment- when you go to a restaurant you choose from the menu, it's no different anywhere else. We also get people complaining about:

-It being really busy
-The queue being too long
-There not being enough staff
-There being too many wasps outside (we sell lots of jam and sugary drinks in the middle of the summer)

Not of which there's anything that we, as catering staff, can do diddly squat about. In fact, taking the time to complain to me about how long the queue is is highly counter-productive.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Hate my job so much. The scheduler they use tends leave me by myself to handle customer orders, get food prepped, clean all the equipment, help on the register, keep the coffee freshened up, frankly, it's like they assume that it's basically dead after about noon, which makes no sense.

Hell, yesterday, a friday, and the weekend of a home football game for the university we're on the road to, they had originally put me down to be by myself from 5-7, when I would get 1 other person to help. Fortunately, for once, someone actually looked at the schedule and realized I'm not superman and can't be at 5 different food stations, a register, a coffee bar, and a gas pump simultaneously, and we got another person in.

On top of this, the company keeps changing it's mind as to how we're suppose to make the food (they have decided we aren't suppose to melt the cheese on the hot subs or on the melt sandwiches. Yes, we don't melt the cheese on the melts), the making little revisions to the massive changes that they don't actually tell anyone about, leading to about 4 different theories as to what you're suppose to do to keep from getting bitched at.

Our customer base has a distressing number of (wo)man-children. Perfect example; my one coworker was cleaning our decaf pot. This older guy, about late forties or early fifties, comes in and asks if we have decaf. I tell him it's being cleaned. He then spends the next ten minutes hassling the poor kid we have on the register to make the pot be cleaned faster. He then starts trying to tell me to tell my coworker to hurry up, because he has important things to do (apparently less important than getting coffee from this store, out of 5 in a 5 minute drive, all of which have coffee, one of which is the same company as us), waving his arms and stamping his feet. He is then astonished that, when the pot is done being cleaned, it doesn't magically have coffee in it, it has to be brewed. This is not unique.

The pay is pretty much the best for what the type of job it is, it actually has benefits and paid vacation time, so compensation wise, it's not a bad deal. But the job itself is absolute shit.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I work at a software startup in one of the best technology hubs in my country. I love my job, but the hours and the stress are brutal. That said, I don't think I'd really want to be doing much else. Maybe professional music production, but I'm happy enough to keep that on the side :)

TheTJackson

Aug 29, 2011
I love the people I work with, they're honestly amazing. My manager less so, being that he just does not like me, even though he hired me (what even), and I dislike certain parts of my job. I work service at Sizzlers, and between you me, it's sometimes really shitty. Dealing with entitled customers and the shit people leave behind for you to clear is horrible, but I'm paid for it and that pay will go towards something that will make me happier (namely at this point, a proper desktop computer~) As for hours, I get 20-30 per week (i'm on a gap year) and I'm clocking that back when I start uni next year.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm a sales assistant in a retail store selling discount/ cheap branded stuff. Despite what other people may say about it, I am content with the job but in saying so the customers I deal with are pleasant (mostly elderly or tourist).

I will say however that I am somewhat having mixed feelings at the moment. Months ago head office transfered back the original manager after the previous one passed away (which is a shame as she was a great manager who I owned a great deal for getting me out of unemployement). To simply put it the manager is a ***** to work for (the bad manager type).

I'm having mixed feeling now since lately I had seen to had gotten the manager good side now and I guess I kind of gotten used to her antic (disorganise as hell and critize if you ain't doing it her way).

Right now I got a interview coming up next week (another retail store but that store is mostly books/ art and craft) which I am somewhat reluctant to attend since I think I got a high chance of getting it (current experience is relevent to the other store and I know someone who worked in that company).

I think I'm more afraid at dealing at handing in my notice to her (if I do get the job) seeing how it will be my first time doing it.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I love my job which you might think is strange because of what I do. I am an undertaker, or Funeral Service Operative (FSO) and yes, it can be unpleasant at times and stressful at other times, but its the best job I've had. There is a lot of job satisfaction in what I do. From making sure everything looks good, from the cars to the coffin to the flowers, to taking a deceased who due to nature taking its course may no be in the best condition and dressing them so it looks as if they have just fallen asleep. To get things right and know that you have helped someone who is going through a bad time is really rewarding in itself.

It can be quite fun too as the company I work for has the coroners contract, which means if someone dies and the Police get involved, we get called out. We have an hour to get to the scene can being on one side of the county and having to get to the other side without breaking the speed limit. That can be a challenge. But other things as well, the hearse and limo's have huge engines in them and driving them on motorways is awesome, people think that hearses can only do a certain speed due to them seeing them out on funerals, but trust me, they are very fast.

Of course, the job has its sad side. I personally hate doing anything that involves babies, children and young people. I know that sadly sometimes children die, but that doesn't stop me thinking that its a bit wrong. Also sometimes the emotions of people who have lost someone they love get to me, as I'm sure they would anyone, but you have to shake it off and move on, if you carried it around with you, you would go mad. Also, funerals for people and no one turns up, to have lived a whole life and no one cares enough to come to see you off, that is quite sad. Unless of course the person has requested that no one comes to their funeral.

Other than that, the pay is good and I get on with everyone I work with, I can see myself doing this until I retire (or die whichever comes first).

Before I started doing this, I spent a good ten years working in bars and nightclubs. I hated it with a passion, drunk people are obnoxious when you are not drunk yourself, the music is usually shit the hours are lousy and so was the pay. And before the smoking ban came in, being trapped in a building wit everyone smoking was just fucking horrible. By the end of the night, my skin would itch, my eyes would burn and I developed a smokers cough even though I don't smoke, I would spend 2-3 minutes every morning coughing up shit. I actually still have dreams about working in bars and its always the same. I think I have some sort of barwork PTSD.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
The only thing I ever hate about a job is when they try to turn shit, into gold. Of course I got laid off a year ago, along with 6 other guys. Know the job was from 11:00 pm, to 7:00 am. Yeah I liked the fact that there were no customers to deal with, seriously fuck people. So sleazy on how they did things. Of course they would bite your head off if you complained about any of it. Pissed me off more than anything else, was their motivational speeches they would have 3 times a month. Real energetic piece of shit would come in, then proceed to get angry at us in a friendly manner. A person at the company thought it was a good idea to send these fuckers in to motivate us. Know I have a crazy idea, why don't you guys stop fucking us over on a daily basis, maybe we will do more than what is required of us. Of course everyday I was there, they would lie to us when they came in the morning, then I would have to stay get my job done extra early on those certain days, so I can listen to Joe Fuck Stick, motivational speaker.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I used to work at a Blockbuster which had not-so-great hours and less-than-great pay but it was my all-time favorite job. The best paying job I had at a Best Buy was by far my worst (though I blame the people I had to work with for that more than anything). At the moment, I work in a Target*, tons of hours for not-as-much-money-as-I-need but I'm surviving. I can't say I hate the job since I don't have to work around customers and, my coworkers are the good kind of crazy (mostly). I guess I'm in the middle...I want to do something else but I don't have a clue as to what that would be.

*What I do specifically is, whatever can't be pushed to the floor has to be stocked in the back room or, a cooler or, a freezer. So I stock things...things that have been back there for a while get taken out for clearance and throughout the day people will order that X amount of item Y be pulled from the backroom...I help to do that too. The work is extremely repetitive so the day goes by quickly by virtue of me forgetting 85% of what I did while working once I've clocked out.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Hate? No, it's not that bad. The pay is good, but my boss, plus two of my co-workers are incompetent and lazy. Not a day goes by that I'm not looking into one of their fuck ups. That shit gets old real fast. What would I rather do? Beekeep. Which I do, but just a couple hives. I'm also looking to get into horticulture, maybe even an arborist. The tech junkie in me has also been considering a telecommunications technician program.

Oct 2, 2012
I alternate. Right no I kind of hate it because my shifts are all over the place. I work night shifts, morning shifts and afternoon shifts and its really messed with my sleep schedule.
I enjoy my night shifts for the most part. I'm a night owl and everything is so nice and chill at night. I enjoy the cleaning and maintenance work I have to do and I get payed extra cuz its a night shift.
The morning shifts I hate. I'm not a morning person at all, I usually don't get much sleep if any at all the previous night, the bosses around at that time all have massive poles up their asses about everything, and the customers are all assholes. And morning shifts are understaffed for some reason all the time.
I'm meh about afternoon shifts, I'd rather night shift but they're fine when there isn't much business. The managers are usually really chill, the customers aren't that bad and my coworkers are pretty cool.

Unfortunately I only have a couple night shifts so my overall feelings on my job are quickly dropping to hate.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I'm a junior developer for a small rapidly expanding website development house (along with some bespoke software), we get to wear whatever we like as long it's not scruffy (even if a clients coming in), unlimited coffee, coworkers that we all get along with and are like family, very relaxed boss, flexible working hours, whats not to love?

The only downside to a job like mine is deadlines can get quite stressful, especially if someone keeps coming back from training sessions with clients with a whole new list of amends to add to my list (which has usually only got back to it's original size after his last new amends). Other than that I can't complain, our boss even orders in pizza if were all working through lunch for him. He even brought us all beer for the weekend when we really put in overtime (as in shift ended at 5pm but only leaving at 9:30pm)for a tight deadline.

Really love my job, hell i'm even a valid member of the team which is fairly unusual for a junior in their first role, having a senior developer ask you something that they don't know is quite something.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
At my current job I make 8.25 an hour, I have to deal with shitty people all day and I don't get a paid lunch. I still love it. What I have found is that it does not really matter what you are doing. If you like the people around you it makes it so much nicer. Working a shit job with awesome people is a lot better than working an awesome job with shit people. I don't always look forward to going into work but when I get there I feel great because I know the people I will be spending the day with are enjoyable to be around.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
So I've had one job and it was a Summer Job. I basically worked in a government department processing taxes. It was a mixed bag to be honest. I went in terrified and it had a fairly steep learning curve but after about two weeks I was reasonably confident as new people (all older than myself) came in and it was nice knowing more than them.
They also a bit of a firing buffer :p. I spent most of my time 'supervising' the post room and had the time of my life. Me and my friend were cracking up at the stupidity of some people who sent in pure hate mail. Really made my day. Making a mistake in the actual processing was absolutely horrible and it was far more responsibility than I a 17 year old was used to. Anyway I left before they started letting people go, earned a lot of money for a 17 year old, and it will look great on my C.V and I should get a good reference as I left on very good terms and was decent at my job.
Can't complain in hindsight but I don't miss it. Genuinely prefer being in school working my ass off for my Leaving Cert.

rookie411

Aug 31, 2010
I'm still in High School in the UK, so the only job I have right now is babysitting. It's a fun job, and I get £5 an hour, which is great at 16. The only problem is the younger 2 (who're 7 and 8) listen to their brother (13) more than me, so getting them to go to bed on time is an ordeal every time I'm there. But if I'm getting paid to sit down and play xbox I can't complain

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
If anyone who reads this ever considers working for Amazon: don't. I tried it for a couple of weeks and found everyone but one person in my team was a ****, the whole place was suffering from what I like to call middle management syndrome (Middle managers were cunts too) and the expectations they have are borderline unrealistic.

The night before I left was what finally did it. One of the cunts decided that instead of sending things down the conveyor one at a time they would pile all of the untaped boxes on top of each other so that the invoices and items all fell out of the higher boxes and either into the lower ones or onto the floor. Not only that but when we switched places they managed to instantly break the taping machine three times in a row and lost at least 2 invoices and put them in the normal waste bin instead of letting anyone know or sending them to be properly shredded. I am 100% convinced that any damage present on orders is caused by the packing process.

Luckily the day after I left I got a call from another prospective employer in retail: an area I'm more familiar with. And at least when you meet pricks in that industry they usually leave as soon as they've paid for their things.