Do you play games of the same series back to back?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
This can pertain to games that are direct sequels or stand alones. The reason I ask is because I just finished Dragon Quest 7 and am now thinking of starting 4, then 5, then 6. (I already finished 8 and 9 awhile back). After the 100 hour behemoth that was DQ7 I don't want to face DQ burnout halfway through the next one.

So, do you play games of the same series back to back, or put a few in between?

Sep 14, 2009
depends on the games and how related they are

DQ and FF? oh hell no, I'm not touching another one of those for months If I play one.

Dragon age/Mass Effect/Halo/Assassins Creed/Kotor, I'll play them right in a row, knock em all out.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Depends on how similar the games are, how long they take to play, and how many games their are.

I probably wouldn't play several JRPGs in a row regardless if they were in the same series or not. Maybe two or three at max before wanting to play something different.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Assassins Creed
And there's my answer. Assassins Creed is really fun to play back to back.

I quite like playing some of the older medal of honor games back to back as well. That might just be more for nostalgia purposes though.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I do . If it's a short series and if the story follows .

So in short

FINAL FANTASY = no
Xenosaga = yes

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I've only done that a couple of times. Played all three Jak and Daxter games back-to-back, and the same again for the original Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon trilogies.

So, apparently I like to play platformer trilogies in lumps. I think the only other series I've played back-to-back like that is the Kingdom Hearts series, starting with Birth By Sleep and working through chronologically to Re:Coded.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I usually try to. Unless it's a really long series and/or the sequels don't have much to do with the rest. Say, I wouldn't mind playing Might and Magic 1-6 before playing M&M 7 but...what's the point? I'm just delaying myself from playing the one I actually want. But for short series (2-4-ish games) I'll most probably play everything in order.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I don't think I ever have really. I usually get bored of the similar gameplay about halfway through the second game. The exact thing happened when I was trying to play through the Mass Effect games back to back. I just got bored around the start of ME2. The games weren't bad at all, they were bloody amazing. Just, playing too much of any game will get me bored of it and I'll have to wait a few months or so to play it again without getting bored.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Somtimes I will. I will have to be in the mood for the game though. If I do it is probably Mass Effect or KotOR. I would say the Dragon Age series but, I can't play the suckiness of 2 right after the amazingness that is Origins and well your choices in DA:O barely effect DA2.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Not back to back, but I do like to play a prequel and then another 6 months later

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I always go through the Ace Attorney games in order, skip Apollo Justice and go onto Investigations. The main trilogy is only made better when you witness the character development in progress.

I feel I would do this with Persona 3 and 4. However I cannot stand replaying Persona 3 due to a couple of reasons.

Namely, Party AI and the Main Character being a bellend. Mainly the AI though. I think I could deal with the MC's lack of development and consequent douchebaggery after giving it some time to sit.

EDIT: Ok 3000th post. Let's get this party started!

[sub]/Dante[/sub]

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I just finished a retrospective replay of Final Fantasy 1 - 10 funnily enough. Sometimes I do replay series in order, usually at least once a year. Tomb Raider 1 - Chronicles is another one I do from time to time.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Occasionally. I played Mass Effect 1+2 before ME3 came out, ended a day before release, then I played that until I finished it.
Also started Persona 4 right after 3.

Can't think of much else though.

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
i do so every so often i've done that with the entire halo series also the original spyro games a few times. did that with Kotar 1&2 and are soon going too do so with fire emble path of radiance to radiant dawn also maybe dead space once 3 is released and EA doesn't screw as bad as i think they are though they did remove the pointless MP mode.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
It depends on the series. If it's something like Final Fantasy, then no. They're all their own game, so I'll play them individually at different times. If it's something like God of War, or Metal Gear Solid, or Halo, or Mass Effect, a series where the story is splashed over several games and not thousands of years in between games (Fable), then yes.

Aug 25, 2009
As others have said it depends on the game.

Like Final Fantasy, although I would love to play through every game start to finish, there's just too many. I restarted a game of FFIX recently and haven't been able to play it for nearly a month because I just haven't had the time to get really into it.

But something like Halo or Mass Effect sure. I might take a weekend and just go nuts with them.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I rarely even play the same genre back to back, so it's pretty unlikely I'll play multiple games in a series back to back. I would get burnout from RPG's, driving games, or even too much FPS's back to back, but especially RPG's because I tend to try and get a whole lot out of them and sink it up to 100 hours per game (sometimes more, if I get into the modding side of things).

However, I did finish the entire Uncharted series in a month, because a friend lent them all to me when I got a PS3. I still did some diddling around in between though, with driving and online shooters on the PC.

Tazzy da Devil

Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, I do that. But I usually get bored after a couple of games and then go on to something else. I managed to play four Zelda games though, before Wind Waker froze on me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I usually get fucking sick of it by the third game, but I do try it on occasion. Especially if it's one continuing story, there's this sense of playing a grand adventure.

Recently I'd been playing the God of War and Mass Effect games back to back.