Do you put helmets on your characters?

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
When I play Morrowind I have to wear the Colovian Fur Helm, because it is awesome.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
almost always yes, usually for 2 reason, either the helmat in question has an awesome effect to it (Like Fin Gleam in Oblivion or armor set bonuses in Dragon Age), and sometimes it's just far too impractical to not wear a helmet. Like in the case of Mount and Blade where not wearing a helmet is a death sentence, especially if your opponent has the high ground and/or you prefer to fight on foot.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
In games (mostly MMOs) where you can chose not to display your helmet, I always keep it off. The best helmets never look that cool, and even if they do, its going to be the same cool helmet everyone else is wearing. Besides, my characters' hair is just so thick and luxurious. It's their fifth best feature.

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
binnsyboy said:
As do I. I've got a burgeoning hat collection so far. I'm currently on the prowl for a good fez, stetson and top hat. (Not in a game, I mean)
I have a top hat among my 15-20 hats. ^^ (second-hand shops rule!)

OT: I always wear a helmet for the extra protection and various magical properties they add,
but if the game has an option to hide it in game I always will.
Helmets are almost always really fricking ugly...

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
binnsyboy said:
If you're playing an RPG or some such with a customizable character (like Elder Scrolls, for example) do you wear a helmet? In lots of games, the additional protection comes down to a mere couple of points and you're not going to miss it if you don't have one.
I like "no helmet" display options. That way I can wear my helmet and never have to look at it. ^^

Not enough RPGs have that feature, though. More should include it.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I never put helmets on my characters. Making a visually appealing character in the character design is something I always have fun with- so I don't want to immediately cover up my work via helmet.

Plus, helmets tend to look goofy. I'm an aestheticist through and through. Sometimes I don't even upgrade my characters' armor if I don't like the looks of my other options.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I always have my character wear headgear of some kind. I like hats and helmets a lot and if I can find a cool helmet my character will never take it off. I think I like to have my characters wear headgear because I collect hats IRL.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
In Oblivion, I enchanted my helmet with Night Eye and Detect Life, so I only wore it in dungeons. In Fallout 3/New Vegas, I always wear a hat since it gives you +1 perception at all times.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I prefer hoods, however if it's a full face covering helmet I will wear it like the daedric helmet. If not then I won't wear a helmet at all, they look silly to me :S.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Unless the helmet looks really cool, I leave it so my character feels more unique.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
if i can help it no, if my character looks retarded without it yes. Im the sorta "massive sword/gun" type and the cooler i look the better i tend to fight, in oblivion i had a claymore and some standard iron armour but i looked EPIC and i did the final main quest with no problems (asides from the deidra god arriving and me running in fear for the first time in history)

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
depends on the sex of the character, a female NO! a male, all the time :D

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Depends. Do I lose out on stats if I don't wear it? If yes, I'll wear one. But if the helmet makes me look silly or stupid, I'll try to opt for a slightly weaker piece of gear that looks better. Trying to balance out aesthetics and functionality, so to speak.

For instance, in Mass Effect I always turned the helmets off, since they didn't look very good. There was no drawback to it, so why not? However, in ME2 headgear had its own stats, so I HAD to wear SOMETHING. But since many of the helmets looked silly and didn't come off for conversations, I stuck to the various visors, even though I had other pieces that had somewhat better stats.

In Oblivion, I just grabbed a black hood and slapped on the biggest Shield enchant I could find. Perfect marriage of visuals (hoods are cool) and functionality (it had 2-3 times more armor than a Deadric helmet), while at zero weight. In fact, in Oblivion you were free to wear whatever you wanted since enchants could max out your defense easily even if you wore plain clothes. And plain clothes never need repairs and are almost weightless...