Do you read comic books?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
And if so, what series do you currently read? (I mostly mean like printed comics, but if you want to count webcomics, I won't stop you)

Right now I'm reading

X-Factor
Deadpool
Avengers Academy
The Defenders
Blue Beetle
Green Lantern: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
World's Finest
Angel & Faith

I'm also currently reading the limited series Resident Alien and Spidermen

I pick up Futurama, Lady Mechanika and occasional One-Shots of characters that interest me, and I also love the series Chew, but I only buy that one in trade paperback.

And there are two upcoming series I might look into. The new Captain Marvel and the Night of the Owls spin-off Talon from DC.

So what about you all? Are there any comic books that you read?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I follow a few webcomics. That's about it.

I haven't read physical comics since I was about eleven years old. As a kid I used to read The Phantom religiously.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
trying to get into them but only import stores sell them here I do own a few random comics and a metric ton of manga

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I read a small handful of webcomics, and as far as print comics go (I kinda prefer the term graphic novel. Is there a difference between them at all or is it just different words for the same thing?) I'm more into things like the Stephen King adaptations (The Dark Tower series etc), The Sandman series, The Walking Dead, and a fair few random odds and ends I find hidden away in book shops.

I've never actually read any of the Marvel or DC comics, though I have to say the wave of superhero films has sparked my interest. All I need now is some spare cash...

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I read comics I currently am reading:

Berserk
One piece
Batman
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Resurrection Man
Action Comics
Lady Mechanica
Animal Man
Punisher

I find I tend to enjoy stories the most when they are somewhat grounded in reality with the odd exception. When everything gets to be fantasy I find it gets a little to ridiculous especially when magic or time travel gets involved. However when they are based in their own world with their own rules it doesn't bother me as much. This is why I tend to read mostly Batman and Punisher at least as far as English stuff goes.

Also I really loved Bear by Jamie Smart and JTHM/ Squee by Jhonen Vasques but they are not on going :p

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The most recent series I've started is Fables. I'm also looking to get into Sandman.

For web comics I read Strays and Gunnerkrigg Court.

I was also reading The Phoenix Requiem, but that's finished now.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
purplecactus said:
(I kinda prefer the term graphic novel. Is there a difference between them at all or is it just different words for the same thing?)
While this might not be the proper definition, I usually use graphic novel to describe in some cases a trade paperback, but especially the cases where a story is being released originally and specifically as a novel rather than divided issues (Like there's a book called Batman Earth One coming out in July. It's just being released as a single hardcover book rather than in issue form)

When I just hold a copy of Spider-Men #2 of 5 in my hand, I find it hard to say it's a graphic novel as opposed to a comic book.

That's me, though. Not necessarily the proper term.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Strain42 said:
While this might not be the proper definition, I usually use graphic novel to describe in some cases a trade paperback, but especially the cases where a story is being released originally and specifically as a novel rather than divided issues (Like there's a book called Batman Earth One coming out in July. It's just being released as a single hardcover book rather than in issue form)

When I just hold a copy of Spider-Men #2 of 5 in my hand, I find it hard to say it's a graphic novel as opposed to a comic book.

That's me, though. Not necessarily the proper term.
I've just heard both used for any number of things, and seen some arguments on why one isn't the other and all that sort of stuff... Anyway proper term or not, it clears it up a little anyway, so cheers.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I read none of them.

Mostly because nobody got me into them as a kid, and I don't have the time/desire/energy/whatever now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't really buy comicbook despite being into them, I just can't afford it. I do however borrow comicbooks out of the library mainly most of the DC and Marvel comicbooks they got.

I recently read these three-
All-Star Superman (awesome)
Marvel House of M Mutantopia (a mini story based on Bishop partner during House of M arc)
Marvel Shatter Heroes (after the Fear itself story line)

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
No. Never got into them. Some of the stuff in them is a bit to convoluted, and I don't care to put all the effort into understanding them.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Very infrequently.

I like to catch myself up in Berserk and Vinland Saga on the manga side of things once in a while, and there's quite a few DC comics I've enjoyed. Mostly Batman and Watchmen.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I read collected editions very often, because the library here in Göteborg (Gothenburg) is great. Also, I never miss an issue of Batwoman. Also, there's this one other comic book series that I follow, but if I mention which one I'll get so much flaming it won't even be funny.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
i do read comics and am a huge fan of comics since i was really young, but unfortunatly due to not living near a comic book shop and not having a lot of money i cant get them regularly :(

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm trying to get into them now. I'd rather have a physical copy but e-copies are all I can get. I'm reading Watchmen and Aliens:Labyrinth.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
I've mostly read shorter self contained comics, like Watchmen or Kickass but I've been wanting to branch into some Marvel stuff for a while.

I recently read Ultimate Spiderman after I got hyped up for the Amazing Spider-Man movie and wanted to sink my teeth into something Spidey related. I got the comics from the library but even though I'm skint I'm considering buying some of the comics to start a collection because it was an excellent (pretty) self contained (although fairly lengthy) Spidey tale.

I'd like to get into the main Spiderman storyline but 50 years of backstory spread over about 1000 issues, several series (some apparently running concurrently), short series, one shots and crossovers is a hell of a mess to try and sort out.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I read a lot of Marvel in the early 80s, and a lot of mostly DC in the late 80s/early 90s, and now and again I'll pick up some out of curiosity, but I haven't followed a regular series from the big two in over a decade, except for Catwoman when Ed Brubaker was writing it.

I do still follow a few titles if they caught my eye - like Irredeemable which just finished, and The Boys.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
But... Surely, so little text and story, wouldn't it take like, 10 mins to read a whole one.

I guess you're meant to appreciate the art in every panel but I find myself just wanting to progress with the story quickly... And yes, I've read a few, mostly ones from the library in school lunch times, when I was at school that was.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I read a lot of manga and way to many to list, according to my list it's over 500. So I've read plenty of things good or bad but I've never been able to get into western comics. I would if I could find one that looked good but I want a series with a clear beginning, one storyline, no superheros and likable characters. The last one is hard since it's pretty subjective. Though I would also like to see the American equivalent of a shoujo series as well, if such a thing even exists.