Do you rent a game before you buy it?

animallikeit

Jul 30, 2009
I've been doing this recently with gamefly. It's saved me a couple time with games that I was sure I wanted but once i played I got over it. It also keeps me from doing spontaneous spending. I do check out reviews and demos but it's not nearly as complete as having the game at home and being able to make a final call after playing it a couple days.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I should, I made some really dumb game purchases last year because I didn't try them and just trust some reviewers
I also found out I have very different opinions to those reviewers

I now use Lovefilm, they have the majority of new games and it's saved me a lot of money already

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
No, no I do not. If theres a demo then I'll play that and see if I like the game.

animallikeit

Jul 30, 2009
Nice sixth sense. I'm afraid I dont have it. I stared doing it because I kept getting burned by games that sounded awesome then once I blew $60 on em and played for a little they'd end up on the shelf collecting dust two weeks later.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
No, I never rent games. I do play the demo if there is one though.

animallikeit

Jul 30, 2009
For a lot of games just renting them alone satisfies me. I like to buy the occasional multi or co-op games. I never pre-order, doesn't make sense to me.

Rented ODST, ended up keeping it for $45, perfect disc, and the box and manual they sent were mint.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
nah i've never bothered doing that. just make sure games have good ratings or recommendations from friends before i buy them.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
I normally do some research before I actually get a game and since every other Blockbuster to Hollywood Video around my house has closed down, I don't have that option.

Splyth

Jan 30, 2009
Country
United States
I have a wide network of friends who generally snag new games. i can watch them play and when their done I orrow it and play myself. If I like it I buy it ( Saves money because if they don't like it I buy it off them)

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
No, I hate renting. I just do my research and if it looks good, I buy. If it sucks, oh well, trade-in value is my penalty.

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
DJ Lord Destructocon said:
Unfortunately no, but sometimes I find it ruins the experience of bringing home a fresh new game.
Exactly. Instead of renting, I research games before buying them. But I have made a few exceptions. I pre-ordered Borderlands without researching it very much. Oh, I am so crazy.

Off topic: 600th post. Yay for me.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
No. Not because I hate renting but because most games are short enough that I beat them before my rental period is up.