Do you smoke? Could you explain this thing?

molester jester

Sep 4, 2008
Why are non smokers even bothering to post in this thread ?
seriously why are you going out of your way to point out how much better you think you are than a bunch of other people online, it's kinda sad

anyway
1. Yes, golden Virginia rolling tobacco, i enjoy the taste and its cheaper than packet cigarettes
2. Most of the common brands in the uk
3. Yes, smokers tend to order the same brand, but few will turn down the offer of a free cigarette of another brand
4. once you find something you like, you stick to it, i stick to rolling tobaccos because in my opinion they taste far better

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I think the answer is just "habit." It happens subconciously and changing the cycle can be as difficult as breaking it. I'm sure plenty of people can and do switch brands, just not surprised if they don't.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Queen Michael said:
1. Do you smoke? Okay, so what made you decide on the brand and particular flavor you use?
2. And how many other brands and flavors have you tried?
3. Is it true that smokers always order the same kind of cigarettes?
4. Why? Isn't it more fun to try something new once in a while?
Thing is, I don't smoke, and I don't plan to start, so I'm curious about all of this.
I smoke cigars, but many of my friends smoke cigarettes... So I'll answer this the best I can :p

1. Yes. Experimentation, reviews, what's affordable, picked the best one for me. Cigars are a luxury and not something to have every day, so you pick what you think tastes best that you can afford without being poor for a week :p
2. I've tried pretty much everything I've been able to get my hands on. I still prefer cohiba's and partagas.
3. For the most part, yes. My friends only smoke 1 particular brand of ciggie. As in, one of them only smokes Dunhill Blues, one of them only smokes marlboro reds...so yea.
4. They've found their favourite, they've factored it into their budget, they're set. They don't want anything else. Me? I pick my cigar based on the reason I'm smoking it. Is that pretentious? Probably. I don't care.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
lRookiel said:
I will never smoke, why would I? It's fucking stupid. I personally think smokers are idiots. I have family who smoke and I make it my duty to bug the shit out of them about it in the hope that one day they will quit.

Oh yay mild stress relief that costs Hundreds or maybe over a thousand pounds a year. Not to mention it cripples your health, makes you more unattractive and is hard to drop. Seriously it's one of the things I absolutely hate in this world. Things like smoking and excessive drinking pisses me off. People paying to have irreparable damage done to themselves.

WHY DAMNIT!?

/Rant
I agree with you and feel the same way but you have to have some empathy for smokers. I believe that there is some deeper, more difficult to explain psychological effect that smoking can have on a person. You have to be the right kind of person to smoke, which is why people like you and I never will but others will devour cigarettes like human chimneys, these people aren't stupid[footnote]Though a considerable number of them certainly are stupid.[/footnote] but merely wired a different way.

I'm going to give you a link I found pretty useful when I was trying to decipher for myself why the hell people smoke:

http://smokingsides.com/docs/whysmoke.html

I know that its quite an old source, dating back to when the adverse health effects of smoking weren't fully understood and you can dismiss a fair amount of it as utter bullshit the writer thought up to fill the pages of his book but some of it does make sense. Its not that people are so stupid that they believe smoking isn't doing them harm, they have just decided that for them personally the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
1. Do you smoke? Okay, so what made you decide on the brand and particular flavor you use?
I do smoke, not a huge amount but yeah. I decided on the brand(s) I use by trial and error I suppose, I'd try a brand and if I didn't like it I'd try something else. I generally roll my own using Champion Ruby but every now and then I'll get pre-rolled cigarettes and those would be Marlboro Reds.

2. And how many other brands and flavors have you tried?
I've tried a number of brands, I couldn't tell you exactly how many though.

3. Is it true that smokers always order the same kind of cigarettes?
I suppose it depends on the smoker. I always order one of the two I mentioned above and most of the people I know who smoke tend to stick to their preferred brand.

4. Why? Isn't it more fun to try something new once in a while?
It is but there are a lot of cigarettes out there that just taste foul. I've had packets that I've just thrown out purely because they taste that bad, money and withdrawals be damned. So yeah, it can be but you're taking a pretty big risk.

Also, I'd like to thank you for not being a smoker and asking smokers these questions without trying to belittle them. The amount of people who treat me like a moron for doing something I enjoy is ridiculous so it was nice to see you start this topic without any intent on judging smokers as a whole.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
lRookiel said:
I will never smoke, why would I? It's fucking stupid. I personally think smokers are idiots. I have family who smoke and I make it my duty to bug the shit out of them about it in the hope that one day they will quit.

Oh yay mild stress relief that costs Hundreds or maybe over a thousand pounds a year. Not to mention it cripples your health, makes you more unattractive and is hard to drop. Seriously it's one of the things I absolutely hate in this world. Things like smoking and excessive drinking pisses me off. People paying to have irreparable damage done to themselves.

WHY DAMNIT!?

/Rant
I hate people like this . How about some live and let live eh? Some people enjoy smoking . Sure smoking kills you , but so does every other fucking thing on the planet . Now i'm not trying to change your mind ,i'm just saying to leave smokers in peace .

OT: i stick to one brand because it's what i'm used to . I try different things , and there isn't many brands that i don't like , but i have my prefered brand .

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
lRookiel said:
anthony87 said:
Wow, I'm surprised you could reach the keyboard from all the way up there on your high horse. If you're so against smoking then why open a thread clearly designed for smokers?

WHY DAMNIT!?
The title "Do you smoke?" is a question being pointed at ANYONE so I decided to answer it, then voice my opinion of smoking to contribute to this discussion. Which unless I'm mistaken, is valid since this is a discussion ABOUT SMOKING.

Mr_Spanky said:
So you come onto a thread obviously for those of us who have a habit you hate to demonstrate your contempt for them? Awesome job dude.

Im sure that telling all smokers out there that theyre stupid, unattractive, idiots and you hate them makes soooooo many of them hang on your every word of wisdom.
Did I at any point say I hated smokers? NO! (Go and find any point in my post that says "I HATE SMOKERS!" You won't find anything) I said I think they are fools for damaging themselves when there is no good reason to (not saying there are any good reasons to damage yourself). It's an opinion and a pretty valid one at that. Besides the last time I checked, smoking is BAD! I'm bewildered by the fact that some of you people actually defend smoking let alone do it yourself.
Fair point that you didn't say you hated smokers - although from the tone you strike it doesn't sound much like of a stretch to say that you have very little time or patience for people who have the habit.

In general people with such black and white viewpoints I find hard to take seriously. You have no intention of having a discussion because you're right (as far as you're concerned and anyone who disagrees is wrong. It's why I dont converse with people of extreme religous or anti-religous thought. Lack of open-mindedness is a much more serious disease than the ones created by smoking.

In any case this is a thread about people who smoke and their smoking habits so stating that you don't and then going on a rant is pretty obviously going to be annoying to most people on the thread and is pointlessly provocative.

Also its a discussion about peoples smoking habits not smoking per-see so having an anti smoking rant really isnt relevant.