Do you take compliments well?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Something that, for almost everything I do, always happens for me is if I get complimented for doing something well, the praise usually doesn't seem to reach my heart, so to speak. I tend to just become kind of quiet and say things like "I just did what I could" or other such deflections. I get it from my father (Seriously, if you met me and my father together you'd ask him how he cloned himself because we act and look so much alike)

So my question is, how do you take compliments and praise?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I don't take them very well. I usually get a little embarrassed. I just do what I feel needs to be done, and I don't expect to be complimented for it most of the time. I tend to take criticism better than compliments because I can actually learn from.

The bad news of that is that I often spend more time criticizing people than complimenting them. It works for me, but not everyone else enjoys it...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I suspect the vast majority of respondents to this thread don't take compliments well. It's only because every once in a while somebody will post something about the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and most people will respond with INTJ as a result.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
I suspect the vast majority of respondents to this thread don't take compliments well. It's only because every once in a while somebody will post something about the Myers Briggs Type Indicator and most people will respond with INTJ as a result.
I am ISFJ thank you very much!

I love receiving compliments, but I am often unsure how to respond. For example the other day I was at a physio appointment and the woman instructing me told me that I was quite strong. Of course I was flattered, but these kinds of things kind of catch me off guard so I often end up saying thanks in quiet way or something equally meek.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I like receiving them as much as the next person, but I'm hopeless as it.

I just awkwardly mutter, "Thanks, you too" or "Yeah, no big deal" or something similar.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I dunno. Kinda good I guess. Because I get them all the time.

I enjoy getting them. Sometimes I even deserve them. Sometimes I meet them with a joke, sometimes I take my pants off. On occasion I'm known to dissolve into a little puddle of giggles. Teehee.

Edit: Oh. And INTJ. Since it's a thing we're doing. Emphasis on the J. Apparently.

bluemistake2

Sep 25, 2008
I don't get them :'(((

Seriously though, usually it's on the amount of weight I've lost and how much better I look resulting in me saying a cocky "I know"

Dec 14, 2009
Eh, I don't usually think I deserve them, I much rather like giving them.

Which is kind of ironic, because the people I tend to compliment often feel the same way, so maybe I just enjoy making them feel awkward.

:D

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
INFJ mofo
and no i don't take compliments well. i either assume they are trying to coddle me to make me feel better or wonder why the fuck i should care what they think.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Not at all.
I tend to get really embarrassed, brush it off and make a joke or just tell the person to be quiet.

I think it's an Irish thing.
That or I'm just a weirdo.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Sure. Why wouldn't I? I gt complimented after all!

I usually just go "awww" then say thanks if I can.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Generally, and quite often, only get compliments for my amazingly sexy hair. While the compliments don't mean much to me after so many years I still smile and say thank you. As a slave to the Law of Jante I'm forced to take the polite path.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
I take compliments horribly unless it's directly related to something I've done and I myself feel proud of it.

Anything else, I hate.

Also fuck Myers Briggs, Big 5 all the way motherfuckers.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I like compliments, I usually just say 'thanks', return a compliment or nod in reply depending on the situation, because it would be a social faux pas to say 'I know' or similar :-D

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
What's a compliment?

I dunno, depends on who from and the context and content of said compliment. Sometimes I will respond in kind, sometimes the good old "I know, bask in my glory", sometimes I run away and hide > >

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
No, I don't tend to take compliments too well. I do like getting them, it's just that I'm never really sure how to respond to them. I guess it's because it tends to catch me unawares, so I stammer a hasty response of "Oh, thanks", or something similiar.
Criticism, on the other hand, I can handle much better. As if it's valid, I can actually learn from it.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I tend to get rather quiet and dont know what to say. But Its doesnt mean I dont like it. Other peoples opinions of me is how I gauge my progress in trying to become a better person.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
I think I have a similar response to the OP. I don't seem to actually get an emotional response from praise; even when I know it is deserved, I seem to automatically assume it's some condescending or sarcastic comment (even from people who I know wouldn't say something like that) and it never gets a chance to sink in. On the other hand, I'll mull over a criticism all day, regardless of the level of transgression (suggesting bad ideas especially seems to affect me, even if they were never enacted).

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I'm British, so I don't take compliments well.
In my experience, someone who gives me compliments wants something from me and uses them to butter me up. Plus my low self esteem just tells me that the compliments are insincere.

As the Russians tend to say "Better to receive honest contempt than a fake smile."