Do you take compliments well?

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
It generally puts me off guard and I stammer for a second or two.

It's not like I can't take compliments ever, but generally I don't get them very often or about things I think are worth a compliment.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Coming from opposite sex? Nah, i can't take them without questioning the reasons and whatnot.
Coming from others? I suppose, most of the time.

I rarely get compliments tho.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
I have actually found a really good way to deal with common ones is to think of an appropriate response so that you are not at a loss for words.

For example, hair cutters frequently compliment me on how thick my hair is to which I always reply "Hopefully that means I will not go bald". This comes across as smooth and allows the conversation to continue naturally, instead of me saying "errrrr thanks".

Of course I always have to resist saying "Ill show you something else that's thick!"

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Depends on who the compliment is from and why. Close friends I can mostly take them well from. Strangers? Not at all. I have had compliments turned into insults too many times. And I am not talking back handed compliments though I have had my fair share of those as well. I tend to either argue or try to figure out their ulterior motives. It's terrible but a complete defense mechanism for me. And sucks that it's gotten to this point.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
No I don't usually take them well. I'm constantly second guessing myself so whenever someone gives me a compliment it doesn't usually get a chance to make me feel good before my brain rips it apart and tosses it at my feet. So I just kind of get a bit quiet and force a smile to at least let them know I appreciate the gesture.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Wow, lots of people saying they don't take compliments well. That's interesting, though I don't really think being humble is taking a compliment badly.

As for me, yeah, I'd say I take compliments well. Thanking the person is obligatory, of course, and if I did something that is less about accomplishment and more about being generous, I will usually follow it with a comment like "It was the least I could do," or something like that. Mainly because generosity is about them and not about me.

Of course, their gratitude means a lot to me, as well.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I don't take them very well no. I just don't really trust them. It always feel like the other person is just saying it because they feel they have to, and that just makes me feel even worse. The only compliments I ever take well are for things that I KNOW I'm good at. Like if someone compliments a drawing or something. Everything else, please no.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I get kind of embarrassed and generally end up saying thanks and making some shitty excuse like 'ah this is nothing' or 'I wasn't even really trying' even if it's something I spent days stressing over. then they usually respond with huh, or ok and I feel like a douchebag for the next couple of days.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'll thank whoever gives me the compliment, but I won't think anything else of it. I certainly won't give it any credence.

I'm the only person anywhere whose thoughts can make me feel better or worse about something I've said or done. And that's that.

You decide for yourself whether being thankful but dismissive amounts to taking the compliment well or taking it badly.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
I usually try all or one of these:

Wink the compliment away/not take it seriously.
Question the person's ability to judge in the particuler field that I am being praised.
Question the motives of the person who compliments me.
Find bad things about me/the praised characteristic to "balance out" the praise.

When I at least think to some degree (see what I did there?), the particular field, I am complimented in is one where I have some (there again) knowledge or expertise of some kind (aha), I take it for granted, it's expected and not a big deal, so I can't be complimented in that. If everybody knew I am good in something, why the praise? Because they can't be arsed to update their Antivirus, Java and Flash plugins, so I have to rescue their data every now and then. Also, people are just saying I can sing good, because they didnt hear the mistake I made here and there.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I love compliments if I think they're genuine.
Depending on what the compliment is, I'm more likely to believe you.

-If you compliment how hard I work, I'm very happy and work harder
(why won't some bosses understand people like job satisfaction?)

-If you compliment my art, I might not feel I deserve it.

-If you compliment my looks, you'll either confuse me or I'll be to oblivious to realize I've been complimented.

While we're at it, I'm either an INTJ or an ISTJ depending on the test and how I feel when I take it.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Specter Von Baren said:
I just tend to say "thanks, I appreciate your encouragement". I generally like to affirm people's intentions to compliment, simply because it's a positive thing. I tend to give them out a bit too, I think a good encouragement is never wasted on someone, it will always impact them positively.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
I don't take them very well. I usually get a little embarrassed. I just do what I feel needs to be done, and I don't expect to be complimented for it most of the time. I tend to take criticism better than compliments because I can actually learn from.

The bad news of that is that I often spend more time criticizing people than complimenting them. It works for me, but not everyone else enjoys it...
I'm the same way, and I have been on the receiving end of numerous "attack" telling me all I do is criticize (mostly from people who consider praise to be a given for nearly everything). Except all my friends know what's really going on and told me to not pay it any mind when people tell me this. Then again, my friends and I are artists, and we thrive on criticism rather than praise, so maybe we're the odd ones out (there's also the fact I'm never really satisfied with what I've done, so I see praise for it as jarring).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I usually just assume the person complimenting me is trying to butter me up to get something out of me or trick me in some way for their gain at my detriment.

So no.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Usually with disbelief just because I am surrounded by fake people but really maybe its me with the mask on....

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
It's either a simple "Thanks." "No big deal." or "I know, I'm awesome."
Jokes aside, compliments usually throw me off for half a second. They are nice to hear. But sometimes I'm pretty oblivious to them. Even more so for flirting. That goes right over my head, and I don't realize it until later.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I take comments decently well. I used to be terrible about it and keep trying to deflect it, but I've grown a bit since then and have found a bit of pride in myself and my work, and it's a nice feeling.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
no, when people complement me I get suspicious. I believe they are trying to screw me, patronize me, or manipulate me into doing something.