Do you think Remembrance day is a day that everyone should take part in?

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
I don't really care. On one hand, I see the whole thing as yet another pointless glorification of the art of murder we know as "War." On the other hand, if people want to worship Ares so much, then they can go ahead, I won't stop them.

I wouldn't ever participate in something as pointless (To me) as this, because I believe that those who make war are stupid, and those who bring peace are just.

Dead people are dead, it doesn't matter to me how they died. One day I'll die, and I'm not going to spend my time moping around, mourning over decades old news.

Blame

May 30, 2009
The people who died supposedly fought for freedom, including my freedom not to take part. I respect the hell out of them but the 'poppy' has become a fashion statement in England. If you work in television, you can land in a lot of trouble for not wearing one. I can give 50% of my earnings to charity but because I don't wear a poppy suddenly I don't "give a rats ass." That's just wrong. So there's that.

Looking to the current Armed Forces, they're really brave and everything but they don't represent my views and they're not protecting me by threatening the lives of people in other countries. At the end of the day, it's just their career choice.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Meh.

When it comes to soldiers, you opted to become one, so you know the risks e.g. you could die at any second (moreso risk that usual).
For those who ended up being conscripted, its a shame, but it happened, they died, end of?

If people want to respect the dead and stuff, that's fine by me. But if you don't want to, surely you should be able to do instead of being forced into doing it?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Necron_warrior said:
When it comes to soldiers, you opted to become one, so you know the risks e.g. you could die at any second (moreso risk that usual).
Not when you were conscripted, you didn't. Let's not forget not every army is made up entirely of volunteers.

That said, I've made my opinion on the entire matter clear before.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
it's up to the individual. i take part in it but if someone else doesn't want to, that their decision. as long as they respect the fact i want to take part, they can do what they want

White Deer

Mar 28, 2011
Over here in Latvia we have our own celebration day.But we honor those who have died defending the country not every person who has died in a war.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Sansha said:
It's not honoring humanity's mistakes, it's remembering them and learning from them so we don't repeat them.
... and yet we continue to do so...

surg3n said:
I don't agree with war, but in terms of the advancement of mankind we need it - it's like the only time we can reach our full potential is when our lives are on the line.
Prepare to be villified, my friend, despite the fact that I wholeheartedly agree...

Xhu said:
Love the warrior, hate the war.
S'bout time someone posted that. As they say 'in war, old men send young men to die'. Who is more responsible for the death of those you love?

OT: I'm rather ambivalent of it... when it was still fresh in the minds of those who fought, you can bet your fucking life, they remembered it for the right reasons: a thousand bullets passing by your head at any given moment, the deafening sound of artillery fire, seeing your squadmates get killed, dysentery, malnutrition (or close enough to it), cholera, and perhaps the raging knowledge that your commanding officer is sitting in a five star hotel at least ten miles behind you sipping tea and eating biscuits. The point being: war as a concept and an event is so reprehensible upon the individual that anyone who's been through it even once should ask 'who wants to go through that again?!'

To be absolutely pedantic, the idea of 'Remembrance Day' became kind of pointless within fifteen years of the end of the First World War. The politicians had consigned it to the history books, new governments were in power and looking for the next fight to have. Now, to explain my position of the core reason for 'Remembrance Day' being both somewhat contemptible and necessary is the whole basis of WWI. This war was one of the most unnecessary and inordinately bloody conflicts the world has ever seen (true that may be said of many wars, but considering the scale and the level of lack of necessity for this war, I think WWI qualifies for the superlative). The causes are many and mostly found in nationalistic sentiment that had been fomenting across Europe and it was not so much a struggle of militaries as a struggle of political systems that had long since outlived their usefulness, if only Nicholas had kept his fucking trap shut. And consequently, more Russians die due to the weather than German bullets/shells and any given engagement on the Western front eventually makes the Battle of Leipzig look like a damned reenactment get together.

In central/western Europe, there were no freedoms to be fought for... at all. Let me ask you a question: how many people give a moment to think about the Alsatians?! No-one, the French killed them off as surely as the Germans did. The Christmas Football Match should've been enough of a demonstration that what each side fought for was so damned meaningless.

So yes, I believe that all the dead should be remembered, not as individuals as that would be soul destroying, but as a concept to help us learn that war as an act is something to be reviled for its cost to not only those that die, but those that survive. And I believe it to be a pity that it has turned into such a political and media circus, to the extent that, mulling over it now, I think that should there be a remembrance service, political institutions should appear but be prevented from doing anything (leave that to 'relative nobodies'... since that's all the dead soldiers are to a lot of people: 'relative nobodies', and only those with who have an emotional link to them will actually genuinely give a damn).

Perhaps WWI is the perfect source conflict for Remembrance Day in this respect, for never was there a war so mindless and violent, and is an illustration of how low we as a species can plumb and yet those individuals that do the dying still display some shred of humanity where those that sat on their laurels either could not, or would not.

Insult me where you will...

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
Appleshampoo said:
Yes, people should show some damn respect for those that fought for the freedoms they have today.

Anyone that says shit along the lines of 'Fuck the war and killing and bad things like that' are just immature kids trying to be 'Edgy' and stand out from the crowd. They need to think about what would happen if everyone felt like they did, and no one stood up to tyranny or oppression. Good luck being an edgy guy when you're dead!
If everyone felt like they did, there would be no war. Is that not a reasonable justification for their feelings? They're using the same line of reasoning as you, but taking it a step further. Your own feelings are understandable, but please don't assume superiority over those who have a more idealistic perspective.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
i myself don't know much about Remembrance Day, as i am not of a commonwealth nation, but i think that people should remember those who have fallen in war. i do not, however, think we need two minutes of silence to do this. if your memory is so bad that you need absolute silence for two minutes simply to remember the dead, i think you might have a few more troubles close at hand. honestly, if you want to do this ritual, then by all means, do so, but to force others to do it, is that not slightly hypocritical? i mean, forcing people to, against their will, be silent for two minutes to remember those that died for freedom. that's like if here in the U.S. they forced everyone to be Christian in honor of the first amendment. it just doesn't work like that. do as you will, but if you get up-in-arms because someone also decides to do as the will, and not be silent, then you mock the memory of those that have fallen and have shamed yourself.