Do you think you should be allowed to kill kids in games?

Harry Kim

Aug 25, 2011
I wouldn't kill them but knowing that I have a freedom of choosing whether or not I can kill them or not would be good.

Harry Kim

Aug 25, 2011
I wouldn't kill them but knowing that I have a freedom of choosing whether or not I can kill them or not would be good.

Zethrax

Jul 11, 2011
Personally I think that if not being able to kill kids in games is something that concerns you significantly then you should probably go see a head-shrinker.

If kids are killable in a game then I think there should be heavy consequences for doing so.

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
I like the option to kill children in games, as I like to do a good and a evil run of most games that give me the option, and on the evil run I tend to just kill everyone tht slightly annoys me, and those kids... yeah, it may also help that I don't place a kid's life that much higher than adult's so I don't see a problem in killing them if I'm already killing adults on a whim.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Yes. Having all children as gods is really, really annoying. Now that I think of it, Babette in Skyrim must be the ultimate assassin: Can't be killed or sent to jail (and probably never incur a bounty), and will probably never die. Makes having the player be the top assassin kind of weird.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Personally, if you can kill a grown man, you can kill a child. It is all virtual and none of it is real but I can still see major issues with it and morality among people with killing young people.

Aralaas

Nov 20, 2011
Well, yes, as a matter of fact. It's not that I hate them, or that I'm a sick bastard with gore fantasies, it's just that The game feels more realistic with it (ooh, a gamer who thinks realism is a make or brake factor, that's unheard of), and a helluva lot more immersive. Allow me to explain, take for example, oh, I don't know Skyrim(!).
I had just come back from a dungeon raid, butchering bandits, orcs, monsters, a motherf*****g dragon(!) and several packs of wolves, so I can come back home to Riverwood, my insides held together with prayers and spit, only for some snot-nosed punk to walk up to my face and say, "You're new around here so I'll go easy on ya, but don't get on my bad side.". A stale smile from my part with a gentle pat on the child's shoulder I asked, "'scuse me?", and the little runt turns to the elven prince, 500 years old vampire lord, Dragonborn, Archmage and hero of the oblivion crisis, and he says "I'm not afraid of you, even if you are my elder.". And when I give little brat a gentle bonk across the bonce because his parents sure as hell aren't gonna teach him some proper manners, I get shot, stabbed pummeled and trampled by the entire f*****g town! So after that I spent a few minutes saving and reloading so that I could continually wail on him and hurl fire and lightning in his face to lose the stress.

But don't get me wrong, it's not that I want to spend my idle time killing eight year olds and jack off to it like some people are bound to do, it's just that I just can't feel very immersed in a game where I can slaughter the entire town guard of Riften, kill two Giants at the same time without a hitch, hunt trolls and dragons for fun, and then can't scrape the skin of a seven year old girl. And the game gains a lot more life if I accidentally kill a little boy or girl when fending off a bandit raid and can spend a few in-game days grieving.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
No I don't, at least not in the context that I know most of you are thinking (*cough*Skyrim*cough*).

Because, lets be honest here, most of you are stating reasons such as "But they annoy me!" which is a really good way to cement the view that gamers really are just a bunch of socially awkward angsty teens with a latent moniachal god complex.

Seriously, kids dying in fiction is fine when it contextually makes sense, but you all demanding that they do when it is not in fitting with the tone of the setting (Seriously, elder scrolls games are pretty much as wacky fantasy as it gets, when was the last time you saw a child get killed by the protagonist for no really compelling reason in one of those?) for the reason that they annoy with (shock horror!) childish comments is simply baffling.

Jeez guys, it's not like there isn't enough things to tenderize with your enchanted monster mallet, get out of whiterun and go adventure before I ram an arrow considerably higher than your knee.

Oh, and for all the Immersion breaking arguments? They are more reasonable when genuine and not simply a justification, but is the one time (Seriously, I haven't once seen a kid even in the same loading grid as a dragon, and iv'e got over 130 hours played) a child is not eaten by a dragon worth the media shit storm it would have generated had the child become a dragons brunch?

May 17, 2010
Depends on the game. Cooking mama? No. Skyrim? Maybe yes? I generally think in open world RPGs you should be alowed to kill kids. I would hope it got you punished (I think Falout 2 had a child killer perk which made everyone hate you, apart from evil guys. Like being a slaver).

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Sure I think it'd be alright if you could kill kids ingame. I just don't want people to WANT it. Just like I do the evil ending in most games, not because I think it's the right thing to do, but because I can.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Come to think of it, many people's player character seems to be like fully-grown, lethal children as well. Think of it, the moment an NPC calls you on something or is being mildly rude, then there's a temper-tantrum and the careless NPC is obliterated.

Just an observation, and that could do for a decent fantasy-story, told from the point of view from the NPCs.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
The modders from Fallout 3 agree with you (those little bastards at Little Lamplight must die!)

lordlillen said:
yes, there yust a bunch of 1's and 0's nothing ethical about it.
Technically they're polygons, but who cares? They're still bloody annoying.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why would you want to kill kids in a game? I guess they should be killable like every other animal/person in the game. Skyrim had kids but i never noticed them at all, they were background. But the ones in Fallout 3 deserved to be killed.....you all know what I mean. They insulted you and could kill you with there crappy guns and you couldn't do anything. Where's the discipline? Them kids r4eally pissed me off.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
No, I'm just against it on moral grounds, I don't care if other people do it but I myself would never do so.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Gorilla Gunk said:
dogstile said:
Gorilla Gunk said:
dogstile said:
Because if I kill a kid in a game (mayor mcCreedy) i am totally an unstable individual who has a mental problem, right? (reference to another thread)
Just a bit, yeah.

All I'm hearing is a lot of people saying, "THE INABILITY TO CAVE IN A CHILD'S SKULL WITH AN AXE IS RUINING MY IMMERSION," which is batty.
Nope.

Oh, as reference, I haven't actually killed a kid in a game (not in any i'd remember anyway), but he's the one a lot of people reference. I just fail to see how killing a kid in a game = mental issue.

Hell, the only reason I have the child killing mod installed in skyrim is so when a town gets burned by dragons, you don't have two kids chasing eachother in a ghost town. Hell, that even pissed me off in fable, they could at least remove them from the game if the parents died. It was /weird/ having all the bowerstone children just... there. While the rest of the town is dead around them.

Are you telling me that wouldn't ruin immersion?
No, it wouldn't.

Then again I'm not the weirdo who took the time to install a mod just so he could get the satisfaction of seeing a kids dead body.
How did you make the connection from "It would make more sense that everyone died" and "ah, dogstile clearly is some weirdo that's satisfied by seeing kids die"?

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
I can't believe some people think there is a moral issue here. We are arguing over whether or not you should be able kill people that don't exist. The only reason you should have moral problems with killing imaginary people is that you have trouble telling them apart from real people, and in that case seek out a therapist.