Do you "un-box" your action figures?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
StormShaun said:
]I guess it's good to keep them boxed if it is something REALLY valuable and expensive in the future where you can sell it. And how many figures (Plus Boxes) do you really have? If you have many figures it might be understandable. I only have a few so I guess I don't really know lol~
including statues I got with game collectors editions I have about 26.......[small/]fuuuuuuck[/small]

28 if you include the 2 ninja turtles from my childhood

all un-boxed, I did keep the boxes in case I ever has to store/movie them but eventually threw a few out because of the space it was taking up

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Vault101 said:
I dont know many people here buy action figures or whatever

I know hardcore collectors don't unbox them because obviously it preserves their value and all that jazz

though for me I dont expect a standard set will ever be worth all that mcuh...right? (you know, like series 1 of mass effect 2 or whatever)

I couldnt stand the Idea of not unboxing, of not being able to take them out and pose/display them

or do some people cring at the very Idea of destroying the "mint" condition, I can understand keeping the "rare" or "really reall colelctable" ones sealed up...but the usual ones is it actually worth keeping them boxed?
Usually open them because well..I wanna play with them.
The only one I have in a box is an invader zim figure.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm not a collector, so I don't care about boxes. if I buy an action figure (which I don't tend to do anymore as an adult, but it happens occasionally) I'll take it out of it's box, put it into a neat pose, apoxy the joints closed and just leave it there to collect dust.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Yep. I like the way they look on my shelf better that way. And besides, I don't have them to make money. I have them to look good. If don't want them anymore, I have a plethora of nieces and nephews who would want them to play with.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
The 12 inch Ash, Chatterer, Agonistes, Talisic, and the 6 inch HUNK from RE4 on my entertainment center say no. I haven't bought an action figure in years, but I don't really give a crap if they appreciate in value if I keep them in the box. I like them because they're cool, and cool things should be displayed. Plus Ash fighting Chatterer from Hellraiser just looks damn awesome.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
I never leave them in the box. I'm not buying them for future value, I'm buying them for current decor/awesomeness value. I mean, I understand why some people would, and admittedly it is a preference thing. I just have my preference.

My Gambit/Thor shrine will forever be free of their cardboard and plastic prisons!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Altorin said:
I'm not a collector, so I don't care about boxes. if I buy an action figure (which I don't tend to do anymore as an adult, but it happens occasionally) I'll take it out of it's box, put it into a neat pose, apoxy the joints closed and just leave it there to collect dust.
thats a kind of cynical take on it :p

its BECAUSE Im an adult with so much disposable income that I can buy action figures...

......not that I have a problem or anything

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Just_A_Glitch said:
I never leave them in the box. I'm not buying them for future value, I'm buying them for current decor/awesomeness value. I mean, I understand why some people would, and admittedly it is a preference thing. I just have my preference.

My Gambit/Thor shrine will forever be free of their cardboard and plastic prisons!
are they those "play arts" ones? expensive but good quality?

aparently theres going to be a Garrus play-arts one...*drool*

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
I unbox them as soon as I arrive home, then put them on display or make dream cross over fights....

As long as you take care of them, action figures can last a life time

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah I can't wait to unbox them. I know they're worth more unboxed, but my inner child can't resist ripping them open and putting my grubby fingerprints all over them.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Stupidly rare limited production = kept in box, but more for a safety against damage factor than a "twill be worth billions some time after I'm dead"

Everything else gets taken out the box as soon as it arrives.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Vault101 said:
Altorin said:
thats a kind of cynical take on it :p

its BECAUSE Im an adult with so much disposable income that I can buy action figures...

......not that I have a problem or anything
it's sad, but I had much more disposable income as a kid then I do as an adult, and I wasn't trying to say "look at me, I'm an adult, i don't play with toys." it was a matter of fact statement about myself. Now that IM an adult, I buy a lot less toys.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Ofcourse! How else would I remove their clothes and make them bend ov-... OH! You didn't mean the japanese ones. Nevermind.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
As a Transformer collector, I'm all about posing and displaying, so yeah, I take them out of boxes.

That being said, if the figure is rare/valuable, then I'll KEEP the box somewhere else, if I ever feel inclined to sell the figure again. This hasn't happened yet, but I'd feel like an idiot if I ever wanted to sell a figure, and I DIDN'T have the box to make up for what I paid for it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Altorin said:
it's sad, but I had much more disposable income as a kid then I do as an adult, and I wasn't trying to say "look at me, I'm an adult, i don't play with toys." it was a matter of fact statement about myself. Now that IM an adult, I buy a lot less toys.
I know thats probably true for alot of people

I know Im lucky I can actually spend as much as I can on action figures...not going to last forever so may as well enjoy it while I can....

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
If I had any I'd set them up around my desk in various poses. I get something because I want to enjoy it and not because I want to make loads of money on it in the distant future.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Vault101 said:
I dont know many people here buy action figures or whatever

I know hardcore collectors don't unbox them because obviously it preserves their value and all that jazz

though for me I dont expect a standard set will ever be worth all that mcuh...right? (you know, like series 1 of mass effect 2 or whatever)

I couldnt stand the Idea of not unboxing, of not being able to take them out and pose/display them

or do some people cring at the very Idea of destroying the "mint" condition, I can understand keeping the "rare" or "really reall colelctable" ones sealed up...but the usual ones is it actually worth keeping them boxed?
The way I look at it is, if you're going to buy something and not take it out of the box ever, you might as well just buy a picture, right? Forget about ho w'valuable' it might be, think of all the time and effort the creators put into making it. Why buy a figure with 35 points of articulation if you're not going to articulate them?

Having said that, theres no way I would ever let any kids near my precious precious Fang action figure for them to break her. Thats why she has Lightning and Lara Croft as bodyguards.

*sigh* I'm such a loser.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
No I don't.

My nephew found my Illidan statue and unboxed it though...sigh.

In my defense I do own a lot of cats so things might get knocked over :( I have DC figures mostly.