Do you use video game quotes in real life?

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Do you ever find yourself inserting your favourite video game dialogue into your real-life conversations? I certainly do. Here's a list of my favourites:

Zelda Cd-i
- Mah Boi, this ________ is what all true warriors strive for. (Used when talking about anything. Also I will refer to people I am talking to as "Mah boi").
- I woooon! (When I win)

Star Fox
- Do a Barrel roll! (to be used in any situation in which I observe someone having difficulty with any given task, such as writing a test, or trying to score a goal in sports).

EDIT: How the hell did I forget this one?!
"The Cake is a lie" (to be used anytime cake is mentioned/seen). Thanks to someone on this forum who reminded me.

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
Lemme think of a good example...

Dragon Age: Origins
"lick a lamppost in winter" or just "lick a lamppost" as a euphemism for sex

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I do quotes ranging from "_____, and close shut the jaws, of Oblivion!"
to
"Even if it costs us the colony."
Yeah. so what.
[small]I said the top one in a Forbidden Planet store once... I feel so... something.[/small]

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Yes. Alot of them. All the time.

It's a shame aside from "Do a barrel roll" nobody really knows where they're from.

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
"And then there will be cake" after any ordeal that someone is telling me they have to go through. Usually its a mood lightener and you have to say it in that cheerfull/robotic voice.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
"are you going to stand there like a lemon?'
'I fought mudcrabs more fiercesome than you!'
'We require more pylons.'

Those are particular favourites among my group (its a yes if you havent guessed).
Guess the games.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Once I called someone a master of unlocking.

I felt really weird about that for the better part of a week.

Dean Reilly

Jan 26, 2009
In class when I want students to do something, I do tend to start whatever I'm going to ask with "would you kindly...?".

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
If I want someone to do something I will say "Would you kindly" and also, if someone asks me what the answer to a question is I usually say either "42" or "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
I've actually yelled out "Do a Barrel Roll!" on a walkie talkie at work once, they took the damn thing away from me after a few people burst out laughing, even if they didn't get the joke.

I've also got people to stop after I repeated. "Hey Listen" a dozen times.

I figured I was evil to do that, so I ended up using "Want to go to shop and see American Teh-teez" against my better judgment, which luckily the person I spoke to knew that it was from Roman from GTA4, and burst out laughing.

lenneth

Aug 17, 2008
Bilbo536 said:
Star Fox
- Do a Barrel roll! (to be used in any situation in which I observe someone having difficulty with any given task, such as writing a test, or trying to score a goal in sports).
He doesnt force them but in any situation where they actually work, one of my freinds will say any line from Starfox 64.

Ururu117 said:
GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB!
Not a videogame quote but sill awesome
DONT BELEIVE ON YOURSELF, BELEIVE IN ME WHO BELEIVES IN YOU!

I usually dont use too many quotes, but it make me want to bust peoples skulls when i hear someone say "Do a barrel roll" when i know full well they havent played Starfox 64...they dont even know what lylat wars is

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I was going to shout LEEEROOOOOYYYYY JEEENNKIIIINSS at the start of the rafting race, but was talked out of it.

And I forgot anyway :p

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
One of my friends uses the barrel roll quote FAR too often.

Speaking of barrels, a group of friends at college decided that it was hilarious in Atelier Iris when you would walk up to a barrel and your character would say some overly-enthusiastic form of "Barrel!" or "Barrel?" It became something of a catchphrase and a response/question for anything.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
I jumped up and down on the spot and said "Hey! Listen!" at someone once. Got me a punch in the arm from a friend who'd almost forgotten Navi. Haven't quoted a videogame at a person since, mostly because I don't mix much with people who'd get those references.

Oh, wait. I said "Falcon Punch!" once when doing it to someone as a joke.

It's probably a good thing I don't quote games often, as it seems to always involve punching. Which is a rare occurrence in my life. Honest.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Of course! There are some classics!

"A winner is you!" - When someone wins... or fails. Depends on how sarcastic I'm feeling.

"Hey! Listen!" - When people won't listen, or when we're talking about annoyance.

"Get up so I can kill you again!" - Whenever a friend is playing a game and shoots at a dead body.

"I'm Captain Basch!" - Whenever we're talking about Final Fantasy XII, Vaan in particular.

"SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!" - Whenever I feel like it. :D

"The cake is a lie." - Whenever one of my friends mentions cake. Either inspires laughter or confused looks.

"Would you kindly?" - Whenever I really want someone to do something. Especially if they're played Bioshock.

"You have died of dysentery." - Whenever it fits. 'Cause everyone loves that game.

"Hi! I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!" - Whenever I'm wearing shorts and feel like saying this to someone who's played Pokemon.

There are more, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

EDIT: OF COURSE!!! I can't believe I forgot these.

"LEROOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEENKIIIIIIINSSSSSS!" - Sometimes when I do a stupid rush in an online game.

"CARLSON AND PEETERS!!!!!" - Also when I do a stupid rush.

And it occurs to me that people may not get some of these. A cookie to whoever recognizes some of the more obscure ones.