Doctor Strange reviews are in and Strange is apparently good

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doctor_strange_2016/

If "Doctor Strange" can be dispiritingly safe, it can also be just as impressively bold - an hallucinogenic trip along a very familiar path, watching the film is like adding a large dose of LSD to your morning commute.
What really ends up making Doctor Strange an entertaining film are the actors and the visuals.
If "Doctor Strange" can be dispiritingly safe, it can also be just as impressively bold - an hallucinogenic trip along a very familiar path, watching the film is like adding a large dose of LSD to your morning commute.
Apparently DC fans are going nuts over this, anyway good to hear and I look forward to seeing the film.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Its almost as if Marvel (movie side) knows what they are doing.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
Well, to quote the reviews...

MatParker116 said:
If "Doctor Strange" can be dispiritingly safe...

"Doctor Strange" can be dispiritingly safe,...
"Dispiritingly safe" is something I'd use to describe the majority of MCU films, so yeah, I guess it does seem like they know what they're doing, in as much as ensuring their product sells.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Try to fix your quotes, dude! It's [/quote] not [\quote]!

We all know the MCU formula by now. And one of the formula's traits is a high RT rating.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
That's a relief. I was on the fence about this one. Looked too much like Inception and I found that movie almost impossible to sit through.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
And here I was hoping they would finally take some chances.

It sounds like a different coat of paint for the same car. I'm tired of paying money to see the same movie.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Gotta say, Doctor Strange was one character I was most looking forward to seeing in the MCU more than any other, well before his inclusion was announced or hinted at.

And whilst there are some positive overall reviews, I'm getting the distinct vibe that the film's just too conservative an origins film to be a notable film or addition to the MCU. So I suppose with the film coming out tomorrow, I'm already a little bit disappointed.

I mean, sure, Batman Begins was a straightforward origin story and bar the poor action finale, it's still a superb film. But how the hell can you make a conservative, safe film with Doctor Strange? The concepts are ostensibly ambitious, so I feel that deserves a more adventurous and challenging approach. It rather sounds like Derrickson and co simply didn't push the boat out that far.

...then again I found Guardians a disarmingly safe and distinctly non-weird film, and that was still pretty damn good, so we'll see.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Saelune said:
Well, to quote the reviews...

MatParker116 said:
If "Doctor Strange" can be dispiritingly safe...

"Doctor Strange" can be dispiritingly safe,...
"Dispiritingly safe" is something I'd use to describe the majority of MCU films, so yeah, I guess it does seem like they know what they're doing, in as much as ensuring their product sells.
Its an origin movie for a character Id once never consider to get a movie.

Plus we're only going by reviewers views.

And who knows what Doctor Strange 2 will be like.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Fox12 said:

It sounds like a different coat of paint for the same car. I'm tired of paying money to see the same movie.
Yeah it's almost like some Marvel exec is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to pay cash and go see the mov.... oh wait a minute they aren't.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Laughing Man said:
Fox12 said:

Yeah it's almost like some Marvel exec is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to pay cash and go see the mov.... oh wait a minute they aren't.
Frankly, even that wouldn't be enough to make me see another Marvel film.

The problem with the "don't watch it" argument, if it can be called that, is that every studio in Hollywood is trying to copy them. Thankfully their failing.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Scored highly as they are, the reviews aren't really selling it to me...

"this is as generic and by-the-numbers an origin story as the MCU has ever made." - Forbes
"at its worst it's merely an entertaining superhero movie." - CraveOnline
" 'weird and wild' - at least within the context of a major Hollywood blockbuster." - Time Out
"dispiritingly safe" - indieWIRE
Run of the mill superhero movie with cool visuals, gotcha.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Glongpre said:
Hey, if it works, why try and fix it? *cough* Iron Man 3 *cough*
But I liked Iron Man 3. :(

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Gee, it's only an entertaining movie.

Yeah, might as well save my money.

Oct 22, 2011
So the movie about a man called Doctor Strange isn't strange enough?
Shame.

I'm hearing that it's basicly Iron-Man with magic instead of a high-tech, which can be good or bad, but also that the antagonist is(yet again) forgettable. Shame, again, cause i like Mads Mikkelsen.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
If you don't mind the homogenization of Hollywood blockbusters: cool.
If you do mind the homogenization of Hollywood blockbusters: boo(l).

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
The film's probably fine, but...this just reinforces my opinion of Rotten Tomatoes.

It has a 97% on the Tomatometer, which sounds amazing, but has an average critical score of 7-ish out of 10, which is pretty good but doesn't sound nearly as impressive.

Anyway, the forum did the whole "Rotten Tomatoes is rotten" rant fest earlier this year. I wasn't psyched about the film anyway - never been a Doctor Strange fan - but I might go see it. Really, the impression I'm getting is that Marvel has, over a dozen or so films, perfected their ability to hit that 7 out of 10 on as broad a base as possible. Is this good? Is this bad? I think it's good for comic book fans, who get a constant influx of decent comic book movies, but I think it's bad for films in general, because it punishes anything that deviates from that 7/10 formula.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Hawki said:
Glongpre said:
Hey, if it works, why try and fix it? *cough* Iron Man 3 *cough*
But I liked Iron Man 3. :(
The Mandarin thought people respected him, but then you guys went and did that to him. Did you ever think about that? No, you only think about yourself.

Haha, no it wasn't that bad, but it was a huge missed opportunity. Mandarin would have been more interesting than Killian.