Doctor Who Boss Blasts Spoiler-Posting Fans

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
i7omahawki said:
But, spoilers or not, that then kills the replay value of the series doesn't it?

Like I said, if the series is ruined by spoilers, then its using too many twists and not enough characterization/depth/narrative/memorable lines, and so on.

Not to say that spoilers wouldn't diminish your experience, but if the series is no longer enjoyable because of the spoilers, then its too depedant on twists.

Again, I'm not even sure that's true for Who, maybe we'll see.
Not really, if somebody does ruin something for me by way of a spoiler, the magic of finding it out on my own is gone, which changes the impact of the moment or episode.

The seasons before Matt Smith's Doctor had many twists and turns, and yet I still watch those episodes over and over again, I own the first four seasons and the specials.

So no, twists don't ruin the playability of the show. It makes no sense to go around telling everybody about what the whole show will be about before they even get a chance to enjoy watching it themselves for the first time.

People should get to see it fresh, which is what Moffat is getting at.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Where are these spoilers, maybe with them the second episode will make sense. Link me to them, forum brethren.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Speaking of Doctor Who, I am thinking of getting into the series. Is it something that I need to know at day one or can I just hop on in right now?

But anyway, yeah it is annoying to see spoilers on anything. Ruins the surprise if you are unlucky enough to stumble on it. That's why the Portal 2 story is really spoiled of a few general surprises for me.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Never watched Doctor Who,

but good art is good art, even if the plot is spoiled that isn't an excuse to not watch it and enjoy it or that it takes away from the narrative as a whole. If it's truly an effective twist, it should be able to resonate a strong feeling in the audience no matter if they see it coming or not.

*shrugs* maybe I'm different, I don't need an element of surprise to be entertained. Kinda seems like a cheap pop if done effectively, IMO.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
I wish someone had spoiler'd Curse of the Black Spot for me so I hadn't wasted my time watching that circus of stupidity and mediocrity.

But, yeah. Spoilers suck. Part of the reason I basically avoid any communities for ongoing things I'm interested in. The number of people who just blurt out massive plot details without warning vastly outnumber the people who clearly warn and mark their threads appropriately. It's just inconsiderate.

chunkeymonke

Sep 25, 2009
varulfic said:
Who cares? Unless you are specifically looking, spoilers are easily avoided. Unless these fans go out of their way to spoil the story to the rest, I say let them have their info. Whatever.
Not really. Someone can randomly post in any thread or website so and so dies so on so forth

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
Jumplion said:
Speaking of Doctor Who, I am thinking of getting into the series. Is it something that I need to know at day one or can I just hop on in right now?
Basic gist; the Doctor is a Time Lord, which is an alien despite looking human, who has been around for almost a thousand years. He has a device called the TARDIS which looks like a old English police call box, and is actually "bigger on the inside" that lets him travel to any point in time and space. (So he could just as easily wind up in ancient Europe as a resort on Mars for aliens thousands of years in the future.) Deals with lots of aliens and monsters. He's insatiably curious, but also prefers to experience the adventure with a human companion, usually just someone he takes a liking to, since he loves showing off and showing them things they'd never see otherwise. Sort of living vicariously through them.

Ordinarily I'd say you could jump right in, but this latest season is kind of all about tying together characters and plot points and big reveals where the groundwork has been laid in the previous seasons. You could probably follow along, but Doctor Who really winds up being largely character driven, and if you don't give a crap about the Doctor or his companions, it's not as engaging. I'd recommend starting with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, which is referred to as "series one" or season one, even though the show has been going for literally decades. Luckily, right now ALL of the recent seasons are available for streaming on Netflix if you have it. (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Doctor_Who/70142441?trkid=2361637#height1156) and while five years might seem like a lot to catch up on, if it's the sort of thing you're interested in then an episode or two and you'll be hooked and won't mind watching them all.

I really recommend it. I'd never seen Doctor Who before last year when my husband, who IS a fan, convinced me to watch some of the more recent stuff so we could watch the new season debuting with Matt Smith as the Doctor together and I adored it from the first episode. Fantastic blend of adventure, comedy, horror, and just enough human drama.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Fair enough call though I doubt I'll watch the new season anyway. Not much of a fan of the new Doctor. Perhaps I'll give it another crack, I wasn't a huge fan of Torchwood at first and that grew on me.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
varulfic said:
Who cares? Unless you are specifically looking, spoilers are easily avoided. Unless these fans go out of their way to spoil the story to the rest, I say let them have their info. Whatever.
Not neccisarily true. A day after Portal 2 came out I was on a completely unrelated thread and then all of a sudden *Portal 2 spoilers!* With a giant picure that slowed down my scrolling speed so I couldn't miss it. Ordinarily, I'm not too fussed about spoilers, but this was the one game I wanted to leave completely untouched, and then that happened. Didn't even put it in a spoiler box. These kinds of people can go burn in hell.

But, if the spoilers are clearly marked so you can avoid them if you wish, those I don't mind.
As much as i am not a Portal 2 fan i'd say stuff like that happening doesn't bother me because i'm the type of individual that likes to know whats going on a lot of the time to dtermine for myself wether it is good or not.

mcl323

Sep 30, 2009
Being lucky enough to being born British I have had the opportunity to hear the interview myself. It seems that Moffat was just as angry that the spoiler had bad grammar in it then the fact that the plot was spoiled. Gave me the impression that he would not have minded the spoilers if they had been written properly.

Personally I never noticed any spoilers in the lead up to the new episodes. I guess that is an achievement since I spend most of my life on the internet.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
A WARNING TO ALL!

There is a video circulating of a fluff piece by NBC's Meredith Vieira on Doctor Who. I'M CERTAIN IT SPOILS STUFF FROM THE END OF THE SERIES. That is all.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Moffat's frustration is understandable: no one likes having their hard work ruined.
And so he's stopped working hard after about Blink? I guess that explains that.

On a more serious note, how stupid do you have to be to give any all the surprises to a bunch of people, and then hope nobody repeats it? Not even RTD was that thick.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Spoiling an episode of doctor who is almost as bad as spoiling an episode of the twilight zone, or giving the ending to a detective story first. those spoilers people can go in the void

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
You people keep condemning these spoiler guys, just because they got some information beforehand. Did anyone of them actually spoil anything for you? If not, then I think you should just shut up with your accusations.

Why are we talking about this anyway? Those episodes aired weeks ago. Furthermore, this is hardly a unique occurence, every show has spoilers online if you care to look for them. But you don't, and thus you never find out.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Catchy Slogan said:
varulfic said:
Not neccisarily true. A day after Portal 2 came out I was on a completely unrelated thread and then all of a sudden *Portal 2 spoilers!* With a giant picure that slowed down my scrolling speed so I couldn't miss it. Ordinarily, I'm not too fussed about spoilers, but this was the one game I wanted to leave completely untouched, and then that happened. Didn't even put it in a spoiler box. These kinds of people can go burn in hell.

But, if the spoilers are clearly marked so you can avoid them if you wish, those I don't mind.
I haven't had the chance to play Portal 2 yet but it's been impossible to not get a few spoilers just from being on the Internet. Then again, the game is out and people want to talk about it, I just wish it was a little more contained. Wherever you post spoilers though, someone who didn't want to see them will probably see them and that's not fair. I also don't understand why you'd want to know what happens from someone else, I'd rather experience it for myself.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Thankfully the first I heard of the leak is when I saw the BBC news article. What annoys me about the leak more is that they were asked not to leak in exchange for viewing it early and they did anyway

1) That's just not cricket (I <3 that phrase)
2) That will only make it worse for fans as the writers may be less likely to trust them with stuff like this.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm a firm believer in that just because you know where you're going it's the journey that's more important. If someone told me that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father, and nothing else, I would be curious to go watch the Star Wars films to find out why and how.

Prior to watching the fifth season of Doctor Who (I like to wait for the DVDs), I saw a "Top Ten 11th Doctor Moments" showing off Matt Smith's best moments in the show. While I can now agree with the reviewer about most of those moments, watching the video clips out of context didn't really spoil anything for me; including a moment from the last episode.

To go back to Christopher Eccleston's run on the show, I was told nearly every detail of "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances". And when I went to watch it myself, I was still entertained by them, and even freaked out by the scary elements.

I guess the main point in all of this should be to each his own, as everyone's different in how they handle spoilers. Most go out of there way to look for them, while other avoid them like the plague. But I can understand that there will always be a douche or two on the internet who flat-out spoil everything.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I think 99% of the Escapists, like me, HATE spoilers.
It's douchey to post them online, but not very hard to avoid them either!

So just mind where you surf, or stop reading when a spoiler might be coming up, it's not rocket science :) Plus three cheers for the inventor of spoiler tags :D