Doctor Who Boss Blasts Spoiler-Posting Fans

Jul 11, 2008
2 things:
1) The series should depend on good writing, not surprises, it hasn't had a lot of that for a while.

2) The "surprises" are ridiculously predictable and often retarded.

That is all.

Apr 17, 2009
i7omahawki said:
I can't help but feel that if a series is ruined by spoilers, then it is trading too heavily on twists.

Like an M Night Shyamalan film, once you know the twist there's little point in watching.

I don't know if that's the case here though. I definately prefer the Moffat/Smith series to the RTD/Tennant series, which I actually couldn't watch, but the newer series seems especially dependant on twists.

Now, something like Fight Club, which to me isn't very dependant on its twist at all, is enjoyable whether you know it or not. Hopefully that'll be the same for these new episodes.

OT: Spoiling it for people is a shitty thing to do, but being too dependant on those twists doesn't seem good either.
If I might direct you to a certain sentence
Despite asking them to keep the details of what they saw to themselves, the details of the episodes, with all their twists and turns, appeared online almost immediately
Its not just some of the twists that are being revealed. Its whole episodes. And so those episodes are ruined because some people couldn't keep their mouths shut

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
varulfic said:
Who cares? Unless you are specifically looking, spoilers are easily avoided. Unless these fans go out of their way to spoil the story to the rest, I say let them have their info. Whatever.
Spoken like someone who missed the Harry Potter drama where folks would spam leaked scans of the books major events before the book even came out. Hell, I recall lots of folks who wanted to stay spoiler free for that exiling themselves from the internet for a good week or two until the books came out and they'd finished reading them.

Then there were the idiots who would yell the endings to folks on the street walking out with the book on OPENING night.

Not saying thats whats going on here, but it is quite possible to get spoilers when you didn't want them at all.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Spoilers are easy to stumble on when they're not tagged. It happens pretty frequently. The trolls/haters will intentionally slip spoiler content into regular posts just to ruin someones show.

If it aint Tom Baker it aint Dr Who.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Sixcess said:
He's got a point I suppose, but there's an undeniable hunger for spoilers among some fandoms, and Doctor Who's is one of them.

Personally I avoid Who related forums like the plague in the run up to a season, and during it, if I care enough. Sometimes it pays off. I think I was the only Who fan in the world who didn't know that the cliffhanger reveal of Army of Ghosts was going to be...

DALEKS!

...and it was surprisingly effective and memorable, even though that particular cliffhanger...

OMG! It's the DALEKS!

...has been used about a million times in the show's history.

Albeit usually in serials titled (Something) of the Daleks, which kind of gave the game away...
Well I had it spoiled for me in the official Doctor Who Magazine. So that screws THAT system up.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Prior to the weekly Doctor Who airings I do two things.

1)Avoid The Escapist like the mother f'ing plague since there are Who fans a plenty here and the thread for the new episode pops up long before it airs here in the states.

2)I stay away from the computer on Saturdays and play only offline single-player games or take care of something else.

Frankly it's not worth the risk nor the temptation to find out what happened. If possible I like going into a story as blind as can be to the plot before it plays out before me. The only way to avoid spoilers is to just stay away from areas of the internet where you know the spoilers are going to pop up, and if you happen to actually catch BBCA or BBC World News...or really any of the BBC stations just stay away from them until the episode actually airs.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Lissa-QUON said:
varulfic said:
Who cares? Unless you are specifically looking, spoilers are easily avoided. Unless these fans go out of their way to spoil the story to the rest, I say let them have their info. Whatever.
Spoken like someone who missed the Harry Potter drama where folks would spam leaked scans of the books major events before the book even came out. Hell, I recall lots of folks who wanted to stay spoiler free for that exiling themselves from the internet for a good week or two until the books came out and they'd finished reading them.

Then there were the idiots who would yell the endings to folks on the street walking out with the book on OPENING night.

Not saying thats whats going on here, but it is quite possible to get spoilers when you didn't want them at all.
This isn't fucking Harry Potter though is it? It's a tv show, and there are always spoilers for tv shows online. The only reason you guys are worrying about these ones is because someone arbitrarily decided that this is newsworthy. It's not.

It's been a while since the episodes aired. Did anyone actually get spoiled before then? No? Yeah, that's what I thought. This topic is so silly.

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
varulfic said:
Lissa-QUON said:
varulfic said:

This isn't fucking Harry Potter though is it? It's a tv show, and there are always spoilers for tv shows online. The only reason you guys are worrying about these ones is because someone arbitrarily decided that this is newsworthy. It's not.

It's been a while since the episodes aired. Did anyone actually get spoiled before then? No? Yeah, that's what I thought. This topic is so silly.
I never said it was Harry Potter. I'm just using that as an example that spoilers are not always easily avoided.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
i7omahawki said:
I don't know if that's the case here though. I definately prefer the Moffat/Smith series to the RTD/Tennant series, which I actually couldn't watch, but the newer series seems especially dependant on twists.
If only the current series were Tennant/Moffat. Where before we had bad writing and a great doctor, now we have good writing and a shit doctor.

I do like the new companion dynamic, though; a married couple rather than a single girl who moons over the doctorall the time. Even if they are just perrenial hostages, I like them, Rory in particular.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Kron_the_mad said:
Not always. Plenty of them are unpredictable due to the random nature of them; when they're going to come out of left-field and use some technology/power/whatever that has had no foreshadowing and was never mentioned before, we've got no way to predict them. Again, though, that's bad writing.

I just don't think Moffat works as head writer. Some of his solo episodes (Blink and Midnight particularly) were brilliant, and quite creepy for a children's show. Midnight was more psychological horror about the power of fear on crowds of humans than the standard 'aliens with lasers try to take over the world' fare. In overall control of the show, though, he seems to be floundering a little.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
blakfayt said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
I haven't had the chance to play Portal 2 yet but it's been impossible to not get a few spoilers just from being on the Internet. Then again, the game is out and people want to talk about it, I just wish it was a little more contained. Wherever you post spoilers though, someone who didn't want to see them will probably see them and that's not fair. I also don't understand why you'd want to know what happens from someone else, I'd rather experience it for myself.
I enjoyed the plot of a game called Eternal Poison, but the gameplay was bullcrap, and when I went to find out about the plot (as the game had 5 different groups of people, each with multiple endings) lo and behold, no one, and I mean NO ONE, ANYWHERE, said anything about it. Not even wikipedia. I couldn't handle the game, other than the plot, it was the worst SRPG I've ever played, and, thanks to over zealous fans, and their damn anti spoiler "do it yourself" moods, I have no idea what happened to the awesome characters. Not all things are worth working for, especially when they involve fighting enemies that are constantly 5 levels over your entire party and the smallest misstep gets you butt raped for eternity. Now spoiling a show is just stupid on both parts, on one hand, WHY? On the other hand, it's not like a game, such as portal, where you work for your story, all you do is sit still for an hour and go "oh, I get it." at the end. But that's my opinion.
A good point, it can be useful to have these things available if you can't otherwise get them. My only problem is that people may find out these things unintentionally, but I suppose you can't control everything so that no one ever receives any kind of spoilers on anything. That would just be silly.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Lissa-QUON said:
I never said it was Harry Potter. I'm just using that as an example that spoilers are not always easily avoided.
True.

Look, bottom line - I think you guys are getting worked up over nothing. So, spoilers were leaked, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be ambushed by assholes every time you enter a Doctor Who thread. Anyways, the episodes in question aired three weeks ago, so by now, the spoilers are obsolete. And you didn't even know about it until after the fact anyway.

Apr 17, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Kron_the_mad said:
Not always. Plenty of them are unpredictable due to the random nature of them; when they're going to come out of left-field and use some technology/power/whatever that has had no foreshadowing and was never mentioned before, we've got no way to predict them. Again, though, that's bad writing.

I just don't think Moffat works as head writer. Some of his solo episodes (Blink and Midnight particularly) were brilliant, and quite creepy for a children's show. Midnight was more psychological horror about the power of fear on crowds of humans than the standard 'aliens with lasers try to take over the world' fare. In overall control of the show, though, he seems to be floundering a little.
Just feel I should point out that Midnight was written by Davies not Moffat

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I have to whole heartedly agree with Steven Moffat. Spoilers absolutely kill the experience for me. Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, and KoToR are two such games that I knew the ending/twists of, totaling sucking my enjoyment out of the games. I couldn't even bring myself to finish KoToR after I knew the ending.