Doctor Who Faces Legal Threat From Son of Tardis Creator

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Colburn said:
"It is by no means my wish to deprive legions of Doctor Who fans (of whom I was never one) of any aspect of their favorite children's program,"
Couldn't resist slipping in that little jibe eh? I'm with Fix-the-spade on this, while I'm no expert I'd be very surprised if Tony Colburn (the father) didn't sign away his rights to the work as part of his contract with the BBC, I mean that's how it normally works right?

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Yeah, if I ever invent something that gets used in a TV show that lasts fifty years, then I most assuredly would like my son to ask for a whole bunch of money for the contribution after I'm dead. It makes perfect sense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neta said:
How can you even see after your eyeballs have been replaced with giant Pound signs?
Rand Paul offers a very effective surgery for that.

JoJo said:
Couldn't resist slipping in that little jibe eh?
Is it a jibe? I thought Doctor Who was aimed largely at kids. Is this like when wrestling fans get offended their show is called fake?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
35 years of no claims over the INNUMERABLE exposure it's had on the show and merchandise as precedence.
Unless his lawyer is ridiculously good, I doubt he will win anything more than a quaint settlement.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Yeah, if I ever invent something that gets used in a TV show that lasts fifty years, then I most assuredly would like my son to ask for a whole bunch of money for the contribution after I'm dead. It makes perfect sense.
Not to mention something you were evidently okay with them using in your own life.

I mean, that's the other side of the coin here. Or possibly the same side. Dude was fine with it when he was alive. BBC believes they had "informal permission," evidently.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Neta said:
How can you even see after your eyeballs have been replaced with giant Pound signs?
Rand Paul offers a very effective surgery for that.

JoJo said:
Couldn't resist slipping in that little jibe eh?
Is it a jibe? I thought Doctor Who was aimed largely at kids. Is this like when wrestling fans get offended their show is called fake?
It is, and it isn't. It's accessible to children, but it's not a kids' show. Kids' shows tend to be inaccessible to adults, aside from the odd female-lead-for-the-dads, or a "you'll get this joke in a few years time." The plots and villains range from childishly absurd to actually quite frightening, so yeah, it's not a children's show, it's an everyone's-show...and bringing it up in that context IS supposed to be a jibe. Why else would you say it there?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
The Lunatic said:
Pretty reasonable to pay a guy for being part of the creation of such a memorable and profitable icon.
What work? The guy who is making the claim was 9 years old when the 'work' was being done.

This will go nowhere. Terry Nation has always got a credit in any episode in which the Daleks appeared, even into NuWho, and even when he had no direct involvement in the episode itself. Ditto for several of the other writers in episodes where their creations appeared. Anthony Coburn never did, nor is there the slightest indication that he ever felt cheated out of any kind of acknowledgement, monetary or otherwise.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Copyright law needs to be completely and utterly scrapped and rewritten for todays age. Stupid shit like this should not happen...
Im not sure how changing copyright law would help when the problem is people from making claims that dont fit the laws. This is how the legal system works - you go through a judge or jury to determine if something does or doesnt break the laws.

Anyway, my prediction based on the details given so far is that the case will be easily settled in the BBCs favour because it will count as Work For Hire, which means it was the IP of the BBC all along.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Pretty reasonable to pay a guy for being part of the creation of such a memorable and profitable icon.

Dunno if he's in the right legally, but, morally, he's due something.
The guy suing didn't. His father did, and he died in '77. When the BBC moved for their own copyright in the 80's and wasn't challenged, they were legally allowed to use it from then on out. They paid the guy who made it, his widow didn't try to get paid for it. This guy is due nothing.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The Lunatic said:

Dunno if he's in the right legally, but, morally, he's due something.
EDIT: Sorry didn't see that it had already been responded to

Is it reasonable if a guy willing created something as part of a show he was employed to create in and then never asked for money or thought he deserved money or sought copyright for that idea, and then passed those 'rights (that never existed)' onto his wife who also never wanted money or sort any recompense, then for his son to come along and demand payment for the thing his father created even thought his father didn't ask for payment?

I mean right, if I work in an office and I decide not to take any wages because the employers are nice and going for a difficult time, does that mean when I die my son can demand to be paid for the wages that I didn't claim?

This dude created nothing. The person who did create something was never unhappy and never asked for anything. He's just trying to squeeze money out of something he doesn't even care about and looks down upon, unlike his father did

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is hilarious. I demand some sort of funny nod towards it happen in-show after it gets defeated.

Why would it get defeated? Well, apparently, the family didn't get erased from time when the copyright was scooped up by the BBC. Failure to address the issue when it's addressed is very bad in court, and this is how many years of silence? Frankly, the TARDIS has gone through so many alterations - even on the outside - that it doesn't even hit upon relevance. But let's say we ignore all the obvious changes that happen to the TARDIS. So...where have you been since the 1980s? Where were you in 2000 for the Paul McGann movie? How about '05 for Eccleston? Tennant? Smith? No? Why wasn't this fished for sooner, like during the really-popular expanse known as Tom Baker's run?

I don't think this can be claimed when legal purchases were taken without complaint, where there has been nothing from any family member in all this time for any reason. This guy is just trying to cash in because the longest-running sci-fi show EVER has gone the 50. There is absolutely no honor, no decency, and certainly no viable claim here.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
This is pretty long past the due date to argue this sort of crap... but hey with the past examples in the comic world and the real money in the Dr Who brand I can see this being a little painful to watch but i'm pretty sure the BBC are a beast not to be crossed.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Not to take the piss, well actually yeah I am, but since the Tardis looks exactly like a blue Police box, shouldn't whomever designed the actual real life blue Police boxes be suing the BBC and this twonks father's estate for ripping off HIS ideas? After all Tony Coburn didn't invent the police box, he just stole the visual design and made it into this "magical" time traveling whatsit.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I am not a Doctor Who fan... I have tried so hard but just can't do it.
I remember a long time ago really enjoying Sylvester McCoys Doctor and since the revival I tried to get back into it but the wonderment was lost and nothing has brought it back yet.

I say this only to point out how far removed from being a Doctor Who fan I am so I can make the following statement clear of bias and/or fandom.

And here it is... Is this guy a complete idiot?
His claim will make it nowhere. The usage and rights went uncontested by the creator and subsequently his wife. I do not believe he is entitled to any royalties from prior usage of the TARDIS design.
As for future use, well the TARDIS was created as part of the Doctor Who franchise but there is no claim here over the rights to the franchise itself (presumably because it is clearly defined).
One could argue that whilst he may get the credit for the original design he has already been paid for his work through his payment for the original script and any money originating from that.

I still don't enjoy the series. But then I can't be right about everything and I would never let it get in the way of anyone elses enjoyment.

Someone needs to explain Wheatons Law to this guy.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
And this is why after an author dies copyright should stop existing. There is of course an exception for untimely deaths seeing as it would leave small children without means, but I have the suspicious feeling that this is a grown ass man who was tired of working for his money and instead consulted a lawyer about how much bank he could make on a prop his dad designed.

Though I enjoy the fact copyright is biting the very people that advocate it in the ass now.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Psychobabble said:
Not to take the piss, well actually yeah I am, but since the Tardis looks exactly like a blue Police box, shouldn't whomever designed the actual real life blue Police boxes be suing the BBC and this twonks father's estate for ripping off HIS ideas? After all Tony Coburn didn't invent the police box, he just stole the visual design and made it into this "magical" time traveling whatsit.
Interesting bit of trivia: when the police stopped using those blue police boxes and the BBC kept using it for the TARDIS, eventually the BBC filed for a trademark on it. The british police tried to contest it, claiming it was their's, but the courts held that since they hadn't been using it and the BBC had continued to use it for several DECADES after the police had stopped, the BBC could have their trademark. Yup. The BBC now owns the conceptual design of blue police boxes.

What a world.

Also, I love how apparently either Coburn or this article's writer don't know how it's spelled. TARDIS, not Tardis. Tardis is from the Cushing Dr. Who movies. Yes, I'm a dork.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Normally, I'd posit that this guy is a greedy fucking asshole, but I see that that belief has been more than covered.

Thus, I am going to say it anyway.

*AHEM*

"This guy is a greedy fucking asshole"

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Broken Blade said:
Psychobabble said:
Interesting bit of trivia: when the police stopped using those blue police boxes and the BBC kept using it for the TARDIS, eventually the BBC filed for a trademark on it. The british police tried to contest it, claiming it was their's, but the courts held that since they hadn't been using it and the BBC had continued to use it for several DECADES after the police had stopped, the BBC could have their trademark. Yup. The BBC now owns the conceptual design of blue police boxes.

What a world.

Also, I love how apparently either Coburn or this article's writer don't know how it's spelled. TARDIS, not Tardis. Tardis is from the Cushing Dr. Who movies. Yes, I'm a dork.
Well that's just bloody hilarious. Way to stick it to the Filth, BBC.

Peter Cushing Dr. Who movies!!?? *sticks fingers in ears* THEY DO NOT EXIST!!! Lalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!!