Doctor Who Faces Legal Threat From Son of Tardis Creator

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
In the Land of Chips (North of Alcoholics-Nationomynous and east of Bjork-topia) lawsuits have to be solid to even be considered. We're not like Gunland (America, as some of you call it) and the can't sue someone for parking infront of your house, or so I have heard.

I doubt he's ever watched it. And DW is probably not for kids: Mutilitaiton, disturbing imagery, constant death and violence, technobabble that would rot the average Chippy-child's brains, ect.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
"I wanted to sue you, but I didn't have the copyright" And now you do? Oh wait... you don't? So what's changed? Is there possibley a chance that.. you know... there's some money issues?

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
JoJo said:
Couldn't resist slipping in that little jibe eh?
Is it a jibe? I thought Doctor Who was aimed largely at kids. Is this like when wrestling fans get offended their show is called fake?
A few episodes have been officially rated as "unsuitable for children under the age of 12" by our classifications board, and while most of it is vaguely kid-friendly, it's still aimed heavily at the older crowd.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Broken Blade said:
Psychobabble said:
Not to take the piss, well actually yeah I am, but since the Tardis looks exactly like a blue Police box, shouldn't whomever designed the actual real life blue Police boxes be suing the BBC and this twonks father's estate for ripping off HIS ideas? After all Tony Coburn didn't invent the police box, he just stole the visual design and made it into this "magical" time traveling whatsit.
Interesting bit of trivia: when the police stopped using those blue police boxes and the BBC kept using it for the TARDIS, eventually the BBC filed for a trademark on it. The british police tried to contest it, claiming it was their's, but the courts held that since they hadn't been using it and the BBC had continued to use it for several DECADES after the police had stopped, the BBC could have their trademark. Yup. The BBC now owns the conceptual design of blue police boxes.

What a world.

Also, I love how apparently either Coburn or this article's writer don't know how it's spelled. TARDIS, not Tardis. Tardis is from the Cushing Dr. Who movies. Yes, I'm a dork.
Sir, I'd offer you a jellybaby, but I have not perfected the E-Fist program just yet. That was hilarious.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
This guys claim is completely stupid. It's a police box, he has no more right to claim copyright on its design than I do if I drew a picture of a type of bus that exists in reality and that particular type of bus became a thing people gave a crap about.

Another greedy idiot abusing copyright and not understanding what it exists for. Certainly not for something like this god.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I just want to point out that the copyright could include more than just the external appearance of TARDIS (i.e. the blue police box) but goes as far as the name and the shape-shifting time traveling device what goes 'whoosh whoosh.'

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
1337mokro said:
And this is why after an author dies copyright should stop existing. There is of course an exception for untimely deaths seeing as it would leave small children without means, but I have the suspicious feeling that this is a grown ass man who was tired of working for his money and instead consulted a lawyer about how much bank he could make on a prop his dad designed.

Though I enjoy the fact copyright is biting the very people that advocate it in the ass now.
Kind of? I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be on author death but rather once you stop using it.

To give an example: Terry Pratchett is my absolute favorite author ever, but he's not in the best of health. His daughter, Rhianna Pratchett, is also an author (She was actually a writer on the Tomb Raider reboot so you may have heard her name) and might keep writing Discworld books when her father passes away.

In that case, I would have no problems with the Discworld copyrights remaining with the Pratchett family even after the original author is dead.

Honestly, I think it's as important that the copyright here is a small part of a greater work created by a large team rather than a single book or series written by a single person in addition to being long past due on contesting it.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
To be honest, I would be pissed if my dad invented something someone else used and they never mentioned him too. Considering the TARDIS is such a huge part of the universe you would think they could at least mention the guy who invented it.

Gary Thompson

Aug 29, 2011
1337mokro said:
And this is why after an author dies copyright should stop existing. There is of course an exception for untimely deaths seeing as it would leave small children without means, but I have the suspicious feeling that this is a grown ass man who was tired of working for his money and instead consulted a lawyer about how much bank he could make on a prop his dad designed.

Though I enjoy the fact copyright is biting the very people that advocate it in the ass now.
No, because it's their intellectual property and they should be allowed to pass it to their children no matter what.

The only people who would benefit by that are the vultures who don't have an original bone in their body and will wait until someone's dead so they can steal their work.

Now for this guy, he's not gonna win any court case, not only is BBC much bigger than him, they also have a trademark on the TARDIS and blue police boxes.

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
Hypothetical scenario: this guy wins, BBC doesn't want to pay him...

-Doctor- "So, we've crashed into this spaceship and quantum nanite repair droids have fixed the TARDIS, so it doesn't look like a police box."
-Companion- "Oh, cool. So we can look like anything now?"
-Doctor- "Yeah, but let's just change it to a red phonebox or something and never mention this again..."

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
i hope he wins and gets the money. its not like the BBC cant afford it anyway. they should just buy him out... or get rid of the silly kids show.. I am sick of the scarf wearing pansy being on my tv

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Rawbeard said:
I am the ancestor of the guy who invented the wheel. Money, please.
Oh yeah? I'm the cousin many times removed of Sir Isaac Newton.

Pay me for his efforts or I'll take gravity away.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Mick Beard said:
i hope he wins and gets the money. its not like the BBC cant afford it anyway. they should just buy him out... or get rid of the silly kids show.. I am sick of the scarf wearing pansy being on my tv
Why, hello there Stef Coburn, how nice of you to join us here at The Escapist. How are things on Twitter?

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
Neta said:
Mick Beard said:
Why, hello there Stef Coburn, how nice of you to join us here at The Escapist. How are things on Twitter?
nar I aint that dude

just an aussie that thinks that a pommy show about a dude with a broken lightsabre who live in an old phone box is lame.

he is like a poor mans danger mouse

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
1337mokro said:

It should just be a time limit, copyright should extend for say 50 years from date of creation or whatever and then expire (at the moment it's 70, it was 50, because the US bent over for Disney who were going to loose Micky Mouse).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Did he create Tardis? No, his dad did. Therefore he deserves nothing. Just more broken copyright laws.

The Lunatic said:
Pretty reasonable to pay a guy for being part of the creation of such a memorable and profitable icon.

Dunno if he's in the right legally, but, morally, he's due something.
No hes not. Hes a patent troll and a stupid one at that. Not to mention that its been 35 years, no copyright should even last 35 years to begin with.
RicoADF said:
It should just be a time limit, copyright should extend for say 50 years from date of creation or whatever and then expire (at the moment it's 70, it was 50, because the US bent over for Disney who were going to loose Micky Mouse).
Correction: they bent over for Disney involuntary homosexual sex to reach life+95 years, which basically means that copyright holds for 95 years after the original author died, making it one of the longest copyright laws in the world (funnily enough, 50 years is short in comparison, most of the world uses 50 or 95, very few countries - 30, ALL of them - TOO DAMN LONG)
Gary Thompson said:
No, because it's their intellectual property and they should be allowed to pass it to their children no matter what.

The only people who would benefit by that are the vultures who don't have an original bone in their body and will wait until someone's dead so they can steal their work.

Now for this guy, he's not gonna win any court case, not only is BBC much bigger than him, they also have a trademark on the TARDIS and blue police boxes.
No they should not. The only people who woul benefit from that are vultures who dont have an original bone in their body and instead steal the work of their fathers.
Copyright is needed so the author could make profit on its work. Considering how production of intellectual property work in real life, 25 years is being way too generous with the timeframe. Most publishers stop and abandon the production less than 10 years afterwards making it abandonware stuck in copyright hell.
Copyright laws the way they are now is midday robbery of our culture.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Psychobabble said:
Not to take the piss, well actually yeah I am, but since the Tardis looks exactly like a blue Police box, shouldn't whomever designed the actual real life blue Police boxes be suing the BBC and this twonks father's estate for ripping off HIS ideas? After all Tony Coburn didn't invent the police box, he just stole the visual design and made it into this "magical" time traveling whatsit.
Actually, the BBC got the copyright for blue police boxes from the Crown Court years after those boxes fell out of use. So they've had it all along. Since the 70's, I'm pretty sure. What this guy is laying a (still erroneous) claim to would be the name and function of the TARDIS. But he wrote it for an episode script and was paid for that, so all I.P. within that script is the BBC's anyway.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
If your dad made it for the BBC then no, you shouldn't get squat. We don't pay the families of architects every year for the way it looks. I don't think this guy quite understand how copy right work. The BBC already have copyrighted the tardis layout when the police stopped using public police call boxes. If anyone deserve to be pissed it's the son of who ever designed it for the police.

In conclusion, this guy's a money grabbing leach