Doctor Who Gets His New Costume

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Doctor Who Gets His New Costume

Doctor Who's Peter Capaldi won't look as quirky as Matt Smith, but he'll make an impression all the same.

One of the constants of Doctor Who, outside of companions, Daleks, and time travel, is the theme of regeneration. Every few seasons, the Doctor's mind and body undergoes a metamorphosis, creating a new identity with all the memories of previous incarnations. In other words, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126547-Doctor-Whos-12th-Actor-Revealed>it's not enough that Peter Capaldi will be the new Doctor, he has to have a new appearance and personality to boot. While he have to wait to see the personality in action, Capaldi's costume has been revealed, and it looks more straightforward than Tom Baker with a scarf or Matt Smith in a bow tie.

Designed by Doctor Who costume head Howard Burden, the new outfit is a dark blue coat with red lining and matching pants, complemented with a simple white shirt and Dr Marten shoes. It looks a little more stylish than the usual "whatever's-in-the-closet" approaches of previous Doctors, but I expect Capaldi will stand out no matter what time period he takes it to.

Capaldi himself described the outfit as "rebellious", which I'm assuming is a good thing. "He's woven the future from the cloth of the past," Capaldi said. "Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord'."

Source: Metro

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Is he wearing a white tie or does he just have the shirt buttoned all the way up? It seems odd that that is the thing I find strange considering some other things he has worn in past lives.

Nov 28, 2007
CriticalMiss said:
Is he wearing a white tie or does he just have the shirt buttoned all the way up? It seems odd that that is the thing I find strange considering some other things he has worn in past lives.
It's just the shirt, although I'm not sure whether it is buttoned all the way up or if it's just the angle.

Either way, that is an awesome outfit.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
HAH. I knew it was going to be a black suit. He looks kinda like a suave vampire-magician in that outfit.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Haha, I like it! I like it a lot. Nice and simple, and sharp too, with just a nice hint of red.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Looks OK. I just hope the writers let him act as old as he looks. (Well almost as old since he looks about 70)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I like it.

A lot of people are saying he should have a tie or bow tie. Nyeh! I've seen enough ties and bowties! Not having a tie is pretty symbolic too.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Snappy, I like it. Here's hoping he's the breath of fresh air for the series that he looks to be.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
I like it.

A lot of people are saying he should have a tie or bow tie. Nyeh! I've seen enough ties and bowties! Not having a tie is pretty symbolic too.
What he needs to finish his new look is a fez, nothing more :D

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
Kinda looks like something a stage magician would wear, with the mandatory odd note of the doc martins (better to run in than proper dress shoes I Suppose). I like it

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I really like this costume. As others have said, it's very reminiscent of Jon Pertwee.

I'm really looking forward to see what Capaldi brings to the show.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I absolutely love it. Didn't think I would, but I do.

Total breath of fresh air.
As much as I've loved the madcap tendencies of 11 and 10 (11 convinced me that bowties were, indeed, cool) I'm really, really liking this total change in direction.
Or, rather, this back to basics approach.

'No messing' as Capaldi says.

Can't bloody wait.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
He's looking quite spiffy.
I like it!
As others have said it reminiscent of Jon Pertwee's look, but more modern. I find it very interesting outfit choice.
Juuuusssttt needs one more thing though....

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Awesome to finally see Peter Capaldi's official look as the Doctor. He's looking very dapper in his new threads. Makes me think of Jon Pertwee but more subdued. Can't wait for the new season to start.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
rofltehcat said:
EeveeElectro said:
I like it.

What he needs to finish his new look is a fez, nothing more :D
If you put him in fez or top hat he will look like Tommy Cooper. You can get away way with the fez if your in your 20s but older and more formally dressed and its going to be Tommy.