Doctor Who - where to start

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
So I have some free time coming up and I've decided to get into Doctor Who after people have been going on about it for the last 5 years

I've had a bit of a look on the net and went to the local video store, they have the collected 9th and 10th doctors with a bit of the 11th, so where do I start?

Obviously it makes sense to start at 9 but a friend who usually has the same taste in media as me was very anti that doc so I'm unsure, what were your favourites and where would you recommend someone start who has seen literally no Doctor Who before?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Seeing as this guy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/TimeLord] is a friend of mine here I should know what he suggests. I forget however. He would be a great person to ask and frankly, I need to start watching it.

SO MANY DISCUSSIONS I'VE BEEN LEFT OUT OF! D:

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I really like the Ninth Doctor, so I'm going to say start at the beginning. Of course, once you have become a fan, you should check out some of the really old stuff, but don't do it until you're already a fan, as the special effects and some of the sets can be visually off putting.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
There are some elements that carry over from 9 to 10, so I'd suggest starting there. The fact that I started there has nothing to do with it. :p

It seems Christopher Eccleston (9th Doctor) is rather polarizing among fans. Personally, I like him. Like the shirt says:

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Start with "Rose" of the first series from 2005, it's the first modern Doctor Who episode. Keep watching from there.
You've got time, the latest season doesn't come until late this year.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Watching from Eccleston lets you get some references later on, some don't like him but I enjoyed his sarcasm and dryness at times.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'd start with the 9th Doctor and move forward from there, and then if you can move on to the older stuff. There's a local PBS station in my area that has old Doctor Who on Saturdays so I've been watching those for about a year now, I find them interesting and a good way to catch up on all of the lore that they've created in the older series that carry over to now.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Xartyve2 said:
Do not watch New Who. No, not just to start with. Don't EVER watch it. Me personally? I'd start with "Time Warrior" starring the Third Doctor and take it at your own pace from there.
Right on! Jon Pertwee is definitely the best starting point, full color, no missing episodes, Sarah Jane Smith and Jo Grant, ooh yeah. I do like the new shows, but it is a very different program.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I reccomend you starting with the new series. The old series isn't really as engaging as the new series and the special effects are terrible, something that is quite important in doctor who. So I would start with "Rose", it's a brilliant starter episode since it starts everything up and tells you a lot about the Doctor and the Tardis without being boring.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I started with the 9th Doctor when the series rebooted in 05.
Dont listen to grumpy older fans, they will tell you the new series sucks.
I loved Eccleston as the Doctor.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If you want to get into the new series, then start with 9th amd work up.

If you want to start with the old series, start with 4th and branch out.

If you want to make up your own damn mind, I can live with that.

Irishanime

Oct 31, 2011
I personally started with series five and liked it, but I have a friend that started with David Tennant as the doctor. He has a darker depiction of the Doctor, and she liked that season very much. I wouldn't suggest the sixth season though because five and six are kinda linked, but that is the fun of Dr. Who. You can start with any doctor and go from there.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
I reccomend you starting with the new series. The old series isn't really as engaging as the new series and the special effects are terrible, something that is quite important in doctor who. So I would start with "Rose", it's a brilliant starter episode since it starts everything up and tells you a lot about the Doctor and the Tardis without being boring.
Ok I gotta say something here, yes the special effects are crap by today standards, but it's an old low budget show, and they still tell a good story most episodes. Special effects, aren't the crux of the show. Just because the old series aren't modern action movies doesn't make them bad or boring, just different.

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
Considering New Who is quite vast already, it's a good starting point. They reintroduced the character and all the themes with the 9th Doctor in a more concise way than the original series which was a bit ambiguous. I'd say watch New Who and if you love that, then work backwards. It's what I'm doing and it's quite rewarding

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Pharsalus said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Ok I gotta say something here, yes the special effects are crap by today standards, but it's an old low budget show, and they still tell a good story most episodes. Special effects, aren't the crux of the show. Just because the old series aren't modern action movies doesn't make them bad or boring, just different.
Yeh I know it was a low budget show. I loved the old episodes. But the guy was asking where to start for Doctor Who, not what was the best series. The old series in my opinion is really not a good place to "Start". Watch a series or two of the new series then watch the old episodes. You'll appreciate the old show more then. So basically the old show is good but it is not really a good place to start when you have the new show.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Start with the 9th Doctor. Personally, I much prefer the 10th, but if you start from 9 everything makes more sense. It's a logical starting point.

Pharsalus said:
ToastiestZombie said:
I see your point on that one, but I'd have to argue that the special effects are still very important in Doctor Who. The monsters are part of the life-blood of the show, and if you can't take your antagonist seriously, you're not going to feel the suspense and threat that the show is trying to bring across. That's not to say that bad special effects somehow make the story worse, but it certainly ruins the immersion of the series. If you want to introduce somebody to the series, you want to keep them interested, and antiquated special effects are a fast way to break that interest. If they watch the new series and love the show, then they'll go back and look at the older stuff. It doesn't make them bad or boring, you're right, but what it does make them is a lot less accessible.

shedra

Sep 15, 2009
Well the new series takes a lot of it's best bits by building on the old series. For instance Season 1 ep 6 of New Who is like "Holy shit THOSE guys are back! And they're badass." If you've seen the older episodes.
If you didn't see the older episodes you're response will be more like "What is that? It doesn't look dangerous. How is it possibly that big of a threat?"

But if you don't have the freetime to get through all 20 some-odd series of the original show, then feel free to drop in at the 2005 series. It's all on netflix. And if you don't like ep1 "Rose" then you can skip it. The Autons were made a bit silly.