Doctor Who

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
sanquin said:
The first episode was...okay I guess. Can't say I like the new companion much yet. She's supposed to be smart, but runs her mouth like she's incredibly stupid. Maybe that'll change. It feels like they're trying to go outside of the norm for the sake of it. (talking about how the companion reacts to the tardis, her going 'doctor what?', the Doctor and Nardole going 'about time' when she finally says 'it's bigger on the inside' and such.)
I agree. I don't know if skirting the norm was what they were going for, but what they did was make her look like a moron. There were some legitimately good character moments with her like when she was looking at the box of pictures and when she had to release the water doppelganger (I know it wasn't really water, shut up), however overall I still found her kinda annoying.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I adore Capaldi as the Doctor but he is leaving. Love him while we can. So, a 14th doctor?

Moffat is casually wonderful. We take him for granted and I hope the next writer can continue to do justice to the series. I find the 2005 and on Doctor Who series have been among the best TV I have ever seen. And I watch way to much TV to being with.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gorfias said:
I adore Capaldi as the Doctor but he is leaving. Love him while we can. So, a 14th doctor?
13th. Or 15th if you count the War Doctor and 10's double regeneration. But, just call it Thirteen. Much simpler that way.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
I hope before Capaldi and Moffit are done they managed to pull off another Heaven Sent, just an amazing, amazing episode.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MrBoBo said:
I hope before Capaldi and Moffit are done they managed to pull off another Heaven Sent, just an amazing, amazing episode.
Damn it, don't tickle candy in front of me like that!

But, yeah. I've often said that Moffatt may not be the best showrunner, but he can do excellent individual episodes. Heaven Sent is a case in point.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Hawki said:
MrBoBo said:
Damn it, don't tickle candy in front of me like that!

But, yeah. I've often said that Moffatt may not be the best showrunner, but he can do excellent individual episodes. Heaven Sent is a case in point.
Definitely. I liked the Pilot surprisingly. Not perfect as it does have some of his typical tropes, but it was pretty decent start. The second episode Smile, made by the guy who wrote In the Forest of the Night, was okay (and yes, a thousand times better than the writer's previous work which I thought was the worst episode of series 8).

The next episode's title confuses me because Thin Ice was also the name of a Big Finish story.

Dec 10, 2012
MrBoBo said:
That really was an incredible hour of tv. Really showed us what Moffat and Capaldi can do when the stars align. It's just too bad it happens so rarely. Even the follow up to it, Hell Bent, was not very good, and only interesting because it took place on Gallifrey.

For my money, Heaven Sent was the best episode of Doctor Who since Midnight. I really liked many of Eleven's episodes and arcs, but nothing quite matched Heaven Sent. That was simply as good as DW gets.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
My favorite part about Doctor Who is how the Doctor never loses his wonder about the universe. He's something like 900 years old and he still finds new and fascinating things about the universe? The fact that he chooses to hang out with a boring human all the time is profoundly inspiring

Is that kind of thing still present? I haven't watched since Capaldi took over...

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
DrownedAmmet said:
My favorite part about Doctor Who is how the Doctor never loses his wonder about the universe. He's something like 900 years old and he still finds new and fascinating things about the universe? The fact that he chooses to hang out with a boring human all the time is profoundly inspiring

Is that kind of thing still present? I haven't watched since Capaldi took over...
Yeah, its still there. Actually the Doctor is currently 2000 something years old. Which if you think of continuity with the old series, it makes sense correctly. I say this because he said he was over 900 at one point in Classic Who, but then years later, in the new series, he says he is 900 years old. This feels off because since its many years later, he would be somewhere in his 1000s. Thankfully when Capaldi came on, they corrected this mistake.

Okay, after that long stupid nitpick, yes, the Doctor is still amazed by new things in the universe. If you make him just see things as predictable to him, that would make it feel kinda boring and not feel any stakes. Even if some episodes do reuse some elements.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Natemans said:
DrownedAmmet said:

Yeah, its still there. Actually the Doctor is currently 2000 something years old. Which if you think of continuity with the old series, it makes sense correctly. I say this because he said he was over 900 at one point in Classic Who, but then years later, in the new series, he says he is 900 years old. This feels off because since its many years later, he would be somewhere in his 1000s. Thankfully when Capaldi came on, they corrected this mistake.

Okay, after that long stupid nitpick, yes, the Doctor is still amazed by new things in the universe. If you make him just see things as predictable to him, that would make it feel kinda boring and not feel any stakes. Even if some episodes do reuse some elements.
Actually I think the 900 came from the time he spent as Matt Smith, which makes more sense

I should totally hop back in, even at it's worst and most Moffat-y I've always enjoyed it

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
DrownedAmmet said:
Natemans said:
DrownedAmmet said:

Actually I think the 900 came from the time he spent as Matt Smith, which makes more sense

I should totally hop back in, even at it's worst and most Moffat-y I've always enjoyed it
Actually the 900 number was introduced in his earlier incarnations in the classic series. They reintroduced the number with the 9th Doctor and then they fixed it by the 12th Doctor for the actual number.

I'm still enjoying it. Series 8 was hit or miss, 9 was somewhat meh though the finale was godawful and 10 right now is kinda an improvement.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Was quite taken by that racism scene, given how it's basically a family show.
Not that I'm complaining, like. Just surprised.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Natemans said:
I'm really hoping series 10 is good and really hope Moffat has improved since this is his last. The impression is if it will turn out good for him, Peter Capaldi and the new companion plus hope the stories good.
Series 10? Hasn't the show being going since the early 60s? What sort of counting system are they using here?

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Natemans said:
I'm really hoping series 10 is good and really hope Moffat has improved since this is his last. The impression is if it will turn out good for him, Peter Capaldi and the new companion plus hope the stories good.
Series 10? Hasn't the show being going since the early 60s? What sort of counting system are they using here?
Well, series 10 is meant to imply the number they are on in the new series. For some reason the U.K. calls it a series and not a season, but whatever. If we include combining with the classic series, the season number would be season 36 since the original run lasted from 1963-1989 with 26 seasons.