Does America have round-abouts?

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
In European countries and also here in my home country of Australia roundabouts are extremely common.

I was told that there are indeed roundabouts in America but are extremely uncommon. This was also shown in the Simpsons when they visited England and were completely clueless about a roundabout.

Roundabouts reduce traffic considerably by means of increasing throughput. I suppose my question is why aren't there many roundabouts in America? If you are not from America; are roundabouts common or uncommon?

A simple roundabout

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
They're not everywhere but we do have them. It's called a rotary where I live.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Yes we do have them. And, after three years of it being in place in my city, people still act like retards when they pull up to it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
East coast has rotaries, West does not.

And that's all I think I know about it.

>.<

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
...The guys who lay the railroad tracks?

No, you mean the other roundabouts. Gotcha. Yeah, we have those. They're not frequently employed, for various reasons, but they've definitely got a presence here.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I know of one near me, but thats the only one I know in the state. It was put there to slow people down and also since it is easy to miss your turn if you are not paying attention. Also I am in the west so I challenge your facts xmbts!

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Well, apparently they do exist in the US, but I have never seen one there. *EDIT: I was wrong, I am sorry.*

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
They exist in America every once in a while, and I suspect that the reason we don't have more is because nobody knows what to do about them. When faced with a roundabout/rotary, people act like idiots, cut each other off, act way too cautiously or boldly... it's very difficult to drive through a rotary because nobody seems to know how to follow the rules.

Personally, I think that they're a great idea, and wouldn't mind seeing more of them (as long as people knew how to use them).

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Roundabouts are usually very annoying cause one road is usually much more travelled than the other so when you're on that road it's like having to slow down for nothing.

waive

Sep 12, 2010
Down here in Idaho I've seen one, on a 3 way intersection thats almost never busy. It might be some time, but it's kinda fun, and people aren't terribly retarded when on it. Hopefully they will pop up more often. Red Lights are the bane of my existance.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Yes but they are not all that common.

Though Washington DC and a few of its neighboring towns have a bunch of them together.

park92

Aug 1, 2009
In Canada i've only seen 2 and both are in Edmonton. I don't like traffic circles (thats what we call it here) cause it usually most of the accidents happen here. :(

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
My home town has 12. More than any other city I have seen, and my city has less than 90,000 people in it.
Jhuyt said:
There are 33 in my home town an dwe got 75000 people in it.
We love these things in Sweden
You win, sir.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
we've got a few here in Montana. they're all the rage. actually, they are an excellent idea, aside from the fact that most people are too dumb to figure out how they work. also, in snowy/icy climes they can sometimes be a bad thing.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
There's one not to far from my house. It's near Clearwater beach (not exactly sure where, as I don't go to the beach that often)

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jewrean said:
In European countries and also here in my home country of Australia roundabouts are extremely common.

I was told that there are indeed roundabouts in America but are extremely uncommon. This was also shown in the Simpsons when they visited England and were completely clueless about a roundabout.

Roundabouts reduce traffic considerably by means of increasing throughput. I suppose my question is why aren't there many roundabouts in America? If you are not from America; are roundabouts common or uncommon?

A simple roundabout
We do and I've seen them, but now I want to ask a question.

Does Europe have any cloverleaf roadways? You know, like this?