Does anybody else sense a lack of musical diversity on the escapist?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Well here's something that isn't metal, j-pop, or game ost's but still awesome.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Not a huge Pierce the Veil fan, TBH. I usually like post-hardcore, too. But I just can't get into them.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
TheJesus89 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Not a huge Pierce the Veil fan, TBH. I usually like post-hardcore, too. But I just can't get into them.
I love PTV. I'm glad you like post-hardcore, not many people on here do :(. What are some of your favorite post-hardcore bands?

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
It's always metal on the Escapist. No matter what you ask for in a 'recommend me some music' thread, you will always get some genre of metal as the most predominant answer.

For me, anything heavier than Black Sabbath and I switch off. I can appreciate metal as a form of music, for its technical playing or speed or whatever, but it does nothing for me, and I've listened to a lot.

I once tried to start a thread about the death of Gary Moore, one of the modern pioneers of blues-rock, and it barely got past a page, because no one had heard of him. Gary, Fucking, Moore. I would consider not knowing who Gary Moore is a cultural crime right up there with not knowing who Samuel Coleridge was.
Gary Moore was in Thin Lizzy right? I'm pretty sure Coleridge was an author, but I'm not sure.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
OT:I think it's because gaming and certain music genres go hand in hand. Plus there might be an age 'gap' between users (I don't really know if there is or what the average age of an Escapist user is).

Music wise I like what I think is good rather than sticking to a few genres.
Some things I've been listening to recently:

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
So who else likes bagpipes? Scottish music in general? Irish music even?

Country music?

Classical?

Anyone?

No...?

I feel so alone...

Blake69

Aug 3, 2011
Heres something different.

Here another good one

I like to think I have pretty good taste in music but I guess everyone says that :p

EDIT: I'm just sitting here listening to music so i figure i would just post what i'm listening to as I listen to it

I love all kinds of different music but I'm a bluesman at heart.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
TheJesus89 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
I love PTV. I'm glad you like post-hardcore, not many people on here do :(. What are some of your favorite post-hardcore bands?
Thrice is my all time favorite. Some other favorites are Letlive, Glassjaw, The Receiving End of Sirens, He is Legend, As Cities Burn, La Dispute, Mewithoutyou. The list could go on. I was really into Post-hardcore last summer, so i'm still pretty fond of it.

Sober Thal said:
Besides ITCOTCK and Red, they've never really rocked my world. But those two albums are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

And you didn't like Traced in Air? That's such a good album. Great music to chill to.

Aug 25, 2009
unicron44 said:
MelasZepheos said:
It's always metal on the Escapist. No matter what you ask for in a 'recommend me some music' thread, you will always get some genre of metal as the most predominant answer.

For me, anything heavier than Black Sabbath and I switch off. I can appreciate metal as a form of music, for its technical playing or speed or whatever, but it does nothing for me, and I've listened to a lot.

I once tried to start a thread about the death of Gary Moore, one of the modern pioneers of blues-rock, and it barely got past a page, because no one had heard of him. Gary, Fucking, Moore. I would consider not knowing who Gary Moore is a cultural crime right up there with not knowing who Samuel Coleridge was.
Gary Moore was in Thin Lizzy right? I'm pretty sure Coleridge was an author, but I'm not sure.
Yes and yes. (Coleridge was a poet, but whatever)

Gary Moore was in Thin Lizzy, Skid Row, and then a solo act.

Not the best singer in the world, but one hell of a guitarist.

My tribute to him

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
TheJesus89 said:
Some of my favorites are We Came As Romans, Attack Attack! (If only people could look beyond the horrid video for Stick Stickly), A Skylit Drive, and Woe, Is Me (who signed my ticket at Warped Tour :D)

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
unicron44 said:
MelasZepheos said:

Yes and yes. (Coleridge was a poet, but whatever)

Gary Moore was in Thin Lizzy, Skid Row, and then a solo act.

Not the best singer in the world, but one hell of a guitarist.

My tribute to him

I knew the names sounded familiar. Yeah Gary Moore is really good.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
TheJesus89 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
TheJesus89 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Some of my favorites are We Came As Romans, Attack Attack! (If only people could look beyond the horrid video for Stick Stickly), A Skylit Drive, and Woe, Is Me (who signed my ticket at Warped Tour :D)
Oh. That's actually the polar opposite of what I like.

Sorry mate, really not my cup of tea.

Aug 1, 2010
I would like to bring to attention two people who are, as far as I am concerned, the greatest Music Men of all time.

Here are my favorite samples of their respective works.

And

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
TheJesus89 said:
Yes, I have heard the Color Spectrum, I was looking forward to hearing the next installment of The Dear Hunter's life, but all things considered, the Color Spectrum is just what I'd like to see more of in music.

Blazenwizard

Mar 17, 2010
Araxiel_1911 said:
I can't speak for the entire escapist community, but I'm pretty balanced out what considers my musical choice. I just can't stand hip-hop/rap (that garbage) and most pop. More specificly I follow everyting that goes in direction Metal. But that does not mean I don't love OST (Movies and Games).

But to some extend, I understand what you mean. A friend of mine is also exclusevly listening to game soundtrack. That is quite, annoying is not the right word but, somehow...I don't know...unsettling(?)

But I'm not complaining. Actualy, I couldn't care less. I don't visit the Escapist to talk about music, for that I've got other Forums or mouth-to-mouth propaganda by friends.
I wouldn't even try to talk to the people here about music (nor that one friend of mine).
and unfortunately there are those like this gentleman who's musical ignorance is on display. Being an avid gamer and a hip-hop fan I've often heard "rap is crap" which is quite a silly statement to make when they only base that opinion on the most popular talentless people and refuse to go beneath the surface to find the true artist, Your MF DOOM, Nujabes, Blu, J.Cole and so on and so on..there is far too much to hear before you exclude the genre from your ears