Does anybody else sense a lack of musical diversity on the escapist?

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I love a lot of indie folk. Bon Iver's new self-titled album, for example, is marvellous. I also enjoy The Shins, Nada Surf and The National, amongst others.

Oh, and I despise metal. Just not my cup of tea.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
TheJesus89 said:
...it's just that the music they post is usually video game OST's, metal, and jay-pop, and other things related to nerd and video game culture.
Think of where you are, this entire website is mostly devoted to video games, so naturally when you cross music and games you get video game soundtracks.

But I see what you mean, I do have a healthy interest in music. I'll listen to anything that isn't country or rap, not that I have anything against people who do.

If you're feeling like you need something to convince you we don't all listen to "One-Winged-Angel" 24/7, here's one of my non-soundtrack favorites.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
TheJesus89 said:
I asked why they weren't popular with members of the escapist. Telling me they aren't popular basically reiterates my points.

Why is it people automatically assume I'm attacking there tastes? I'm just asking a question. There are many movie, video game, and comic die-hards, but hardly any music die-hards. I was just wondering why this is.

A better question would be why do several members of the escapists blindly jump to conclusions? I mean jesus christ.
The short answer is that you've asked a question that has no definitive answer and carries the implication that you are asking people to justify their opinion to you or it is invalid. Whether you meant to or not that's what your OP sends out as a message.

Now here's my question for you. Is it wrong that discussions of music are not prevalent on this site? It is, after all, a website about gaming and the culture that surrounds it. While I am sure that we have a rather robust amount of people who enjoy to speak at length about music and it's various technical merits it's not a far stretch of the imagination that they would also belong to online communities where such a thing is the main topic of discussion, and would such have no need to bring up the subject here.

Speaking for myself, music is just not something I'm interested in. I don't own any albums, I don't follow any bands, and I don't have the technical knowledge of music to discuss it's artistic merits at length. At best my collection of music is described as a random smattering of songs that I liked for one reason or another. Yes I know of a few big bands, but I could never hope to identify their music. That's why I don't feel a need to discuss music, the larger picture of that industry doesn't interest me.

I discuss topics at length which interest me, and music has never been something that interested me. I would imagine that other users on the forum would say that they tend to discuss and bring up topics that interest them. It just so happens that music is, apparently, a topic in the minority. I apologize on behalf of the community that we do not talk enough about the particular subject that interests you most, but as you've already pointed out, there are others out there on the internet that do. We may not be able to fill the particular topic of discussion you desire but I'm certain there are others who could supplement our short-coming quite nicely.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
It comes from time to time. We're not always talking about music, but it's not unheard of.
And here's a song from my favorite modern band (okay it's a cover, but it's better than the original. And yes I know that this is only half of the band, but fuck you I've finally decided on a favorite modern band XP)
I'd say more music threads come out than comic book threads.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Buchholz101 said:
I saw them live live and it was fucking magical. The crowd kind of sucked though because I wasn't a huge fan going in, but people either weren't responsive or were responsive to the point of being obnoxious. When they played Red Hands all the opening bands came out and played it with them. It was awesome.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
TheJesus89 said:
Turigamot said:
There's a thread devoted to great metal.
That seems about the extent of the escapist's musical appreciation.
Hey!? I take minor offense to that! But then again, my musical tastes are very much the anomaly in my circle of friends, so I see your point.

OT: I listen to Wicked, Jet, KISS, Paramore, Simple Plan, ACDC, Evanescence (on occassion), 30STM (every now and then).

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
latenightapplepie said:
I love a lot of indie folk. Bon Iver's new self-titled album, for example, is marvellous. I also enjoy The Shins, Nada Surf and The National, amongst others.

Oh, and I despise metal. Just not my cup of tea.
I didn't like it as much as For Emma, but it was still good. and High Violet was one of my favorite albums of last year. I like Boxer more still, but High Violet kicks ass too.

Buchholz101 said:
I fucking love the Dear Hunter, and that song kicks ass. Have you heard the Color Spectrum? It's pretty kick ass. Not as good as Act II, but, once again, kicks many different kinds of ass.

Do you like the Receiving End of Sirens? The lead singer of The Dear Hunter, Casey Crescenzo, was one of the singers in that band.

KeyMaster45 said:
Alright, I think I have some explaining. I'm not sure which video, but I vaguely remember moviebob talking about how sports fans and video game nerds have a lot in common, and he wondered why they didn't interact more together. This is a question akin to that observation. I understand why a person wouldn't like music, I just don't understand why those who do like it choose to not diversify that taste, like they do in all other aspects of modern art culture. This doesn't really apply to the general public, more towards the users of the escapist.

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
I noticed, but I never cared.
*slow claps*

I was reading through all the posts and came across yours. I now have nothing to add to this topic. Except... This.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I do like listening to dubstep, drum n bass, bad 80s pop, even worse 90s pop and even today's chart music. Not all of it is garbage. That goes along with my love of metal, so I'd say I have quite a diverse taste in music.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Heh I agree. Most Escapists here seem to be metalheads and classic rock enthusiasts. As for me, I'm an indie snob... kind of.

But here's a hiphop music for the sake of.... diversity

hiphop's not my thing, but this is quite listenable

if you refuse to listen to any hiphop songs... just put in on mute and watch people in animal costumes break dance.

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
IDTheftVictim said:
try post-rock, as far as I can tell I'm the only person who listens to it
Nope. If you like God is an Astronaut, try Explosions in the Sky or Mogwai, if you haven't. That's not my particular brand of post-rock, though. I prefer bands like And So I Watch You From Afar, 65daysofstatic, and Sigur Ros. If you like post-hardcore, try Moving Mountain's debut album, pneuma. It's a good mix of post-hardcore and post-rock.

My personal favorite, though, is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I really doubt you haven't heard of them, if you're into post-rock. Every person needs to hear F sharp A Sharp infinity in its entirety once in their life. Absolutely mind-blowing. Easily one of my top 5 albums of all time, both in artistic merit and personal preference.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I would post more about the pop, funk, disco, soul, big band, opera, musicals, and all the other genres of music that I like but I know that that's not what other people here like, and I'm fine with that. Most people here are metalheads of some description, and that's not my thing. Not everyone likes the same stuff I do. Hardly a big deal.

EDIT: To show how much my music tastes are so not like the other people here, here's what I'm listening to right now (and loving it).

Tim_Buoy

Jul 7, 2010
TheJesus89 said:
neonsword13-ops said:
We could make a music thread if we wanted to. Nobody is stopping us.

But you are right. Not many music-devoted threads. If you used the bar at the top of the page called "Search The Escapist", you will find millions of music related threads.

Confidence, dear lad. Just keep looking.
Like I said originally, 90% of them are game OST's and j-pop. The other 10% are mainstream music acts.

I don't know how to word this exactly, but basically think of the musical equivalent of Studio Pixel (the guy who developed cave story). Why are bands like that never discussed? I mean you can see that devotion to games, movies, comics, and TV, but not to video games.
actually one of my biggest pet peeves is having music branded a jpop or kpop its just music from an asian country. its not like we call spanish music spop. im gonna syop here before i turn this into a rant
OT:i like a variety of music like micheal jackson, aqua, deadmou5, nightcore, greenday, jack jhonson, and alot of clasical as well

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Honestly? Music isn't my medium. I can get enjoyment out of it, yeah, but...
Well, I bet you don't experience the overwhelming joy I feel when I get to see paintings of late 19th century artists.

I also have this persistent crackling sound in my right ear that's been plaguing me for a few years now, so imagine if you were using cheap earbuds with a blown speaker in one ear, but the crackling sound was completely random. And it happened on and off all the time and you can't make it stop [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhz4WxFn3jM].

I appreciate that others love the medium. Sometimes I even feel this overwhelming urge to play music, though I lack any proficiency in instruments and singing.
Its just not feesiable at this time for me to seriously pursue music. And I'd have to go either all-out, or just keep listening to random stuff and chiptune.

Aug 25, 2009
It's always metal on the Escapist. No matter what you ask for in a 'recommend me some music' thread, you will always get some genre of metal as the most predominant answer.

For me, anything heavier than Black Sabbath and I switch off. I can appreciate metal as a form of music, for its technical playing or speed or whatever, but it does nothing for me, and I've listened to a lot.

I once tried to start a thread about the death of Gary Moore, one of the modern pioneers of blues-rock, and it barely got past a page, because no one had heard of him. Gary, Fucking, Moore. I would consider not knowing who Gary Moore is a cultural crime right up there with not knowing who Samuel Coleridge was.