Does anyone care about Saints Row the third?

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
On both this site and reddit, i haven't really noticed anyone talk about SR3 at all. I know that battlefield 3, MW3, and Skyrim are eating up the attention pretty well, but Saints row is a ton of fun... anyone else notice this or feel this way?

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Nope, I was too busy playing Skyrim to notice. Really, my take on this is that any developer who chose to release their game at this time was taking a big risk. My biases towards Skyrim as not just the best game of the bunch, but one of the best games ever goes without saying. But in my opinion choosing a release date close to Skyrim's was stright up foolishness. The possible exception being for Battlefield and MW, since they have fanbases which don't overlap as much with Skyrim's as I would imagine SR's does.

mikeli4194

Jan 10, 2010
I feel you, OP. I am personally loving every minute of SR3. It feels like a sandbox game where all the sand is replaced by cocaine and powdered sugar...and I can't remember having this much pure FUN with any other videogame

Ashendarei

Feb 10, 2009
I purchased Saint's Row on a steam sale, checked it out and realized it was GTA with more driving / racing sections (BLEAGH).

The LAST thing GTA needed was more driving :p

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Not a lot of people are talking about because it really is just a good game, it isn't excellent and some people, myself included, are slightly disappointed with the game because it doesn't feel as epic as Saints Row 2. I'm hoping and looking forward to 4 but right now 3 is a yup I spent a solid 15 hours and I'm done, nothing super memorable.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Oh, I love Saints Row and am stoked to pick up the newest one... riiiiiiiiight after I finish Skyrim... in about 4-6 years.

This game has chained itself into my xbox, in some sort of hippy protest.... and to be honest, I don't see it giving up its spot for a while.

urahara75

Aug 21, 2010
Yep... it gets (seemingly) overlooked because everyone knows Saints Row's (the franchise as a whole) deal: loads and loads of juvenile, depraved, criminally-inspired mayhem. The End.
Not that it's a bad thing; it's actually quite the opposite with today's myriad of games vying to be socially relevant, innovative &/or "artistically inclined". An intermittent "breath of fresh air", or somesuch... ( ¯3¯)

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I hate Saints Row so much right now. Not because it's a bad game - no, I've been having so much fun playing it this week - but because it's replaced the Portal series as my favourite game series ever. Now whenever someone sophisticated person who doesn't know anything about gaming asks me what my favourite game series is, I have to lie through my teeth so not to come off as crass.
Because on the surface, let's face it, Saints Row is as tasteless as you can get without dropping an anvil on a puppy. (Come to think of it, one of the commentators during Muderbrawl XXXI [giggles] talks about the player taking more of a beating than a sack of puppies. :eek: At least they don't show you that image.) But it's also very self-parodying in a Quentin Tarantino kind of way. And not only is the game very creative, but it gives the player the opportunity to be very creative as well.
I mean, flying a laser-firing motorcycle in a pirate costume or firing the pixelated gun from a video game in a cardinal costume. And then there's that whole bit in the beginning where you use a remote-controlled reaper drone to take off incoming tanks, which represents a tower defence game.
Like I said, it's all just so creative; you feel like you're in an actual sandbox with all your toys to try out.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
Ashendarei said:
I purchased Saint's Row on a steam sale, checked it out and realized it was GTA with more driving / racing sections (BLEAGH).

The LAST thing GTA needed was more driving :p
first saints row sucked, 2 and 3 are the good ones.

but yeah i know its bad timing, i still dont get why all these big names chose november, but its still a good game worth noticing. Any game where i can do wrestling moves on pedestrians, fly a motorcycle, beat ppl to bloody pulps with foam fists, and can be an australian hercules in steampunk attire NEEDS TO BE KNOWN. my personal favorite though? i love the end mission choices. isnt it ironic that one of the silliest games iv ever played has one of the best moral choices iv seen in games (not to spoil it, but theres a point where you have to choose to do something or something else, and its a genuinely hard choice because both choices have good arguments and theres no stupid good/evil dicotomy)

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
Dexter111 said:
TrevorGruen said:
On both this site and reddit, i haven't really noticed anyone talk about SR3 at all. I know that battlefield 3, MW3, and Skyrim are eating up the attention pretty well, but Saints row is a ton of fun... anyone else notice this or feel this way?
My copy should be delivered later today... that said I am highly unsure if I will have the time for this any time soon... it was a really bad move to release all games around now...

Not only did Battlefield 3 and Skyrim come out not long ago, but the PC version of L.A. Noire just got released too and the PC version of Batman: Arkham City is out next week.

Add to that the going of F2P of DC Universe Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic coming out in December, also Serious Sam 3: BFE in a few days (and I STILL haven't even had time to even start playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution or RAGE) and it's basically just a really bad time to release about anything else right now xD
in general this part of the year has been insane, we have gotten around 4 GotY quality games recently (im thinking deus ex, skyrim, SR3, and batman), but even without those we still got portal 2, bulletstorm, catherine, Dead space 2, ect. 2011, y u hate my social life!?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, of course some people are going to care. This is the internet. Name any game, be it crappy, mediocre or brilliant and someone out there thinks it is God's gift to gamers.

Me? Eh.

SR3 looks a bit too stupid to be worth my day one dollars. People will say, "Ohh, but it's all about the FUN! Do you remember FUN?" But all I hear is, "This game lacks sufficient brains to do anything more interesting than more murder and explosions, just like several thousand other games. Except now you can do it in a animal mascot suit. Whoop-de-bloody-doo."

Quite frankly, I don't know what THQ were thinking releasing their relatively low profile game in the middle of BF3, MW3 and Skyrim.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I care about saints row. I started playing it at about 20:30 on friday, and I have clocked up about 16 hours from there. I feel shame, and pride, somehow all at the same time.

Today, I found myself in a car with a bengal tiger. I don't really need to say much more. That's just how mental saints row the third is.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Eh, My wife asked what I wanted for christmas. So I'll have to wait.

TrevorGruen said:
but yeah i know its bad timing, i still dont get why all these big names chose november.
Christmas. Christmas is the answer.