Does anyone care about Saints Row the third?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
Well, of course some people are going to care. This is the internet. Name any game, be it crappy, mediocre or brilliant and someone out there thinks it is God's gift to gamers.

Me? Eh.

SR3 looks a bit too stupid to be worth my day one dollars. People will say, "Ohh, but it's all about the FUN! Do you remember FUN?" But all I hear is, "This game lacks sufficient brains to do anything more interesting than more murder and explosions, just like several thousand other games. Except now you can do it in a animal mascot suit. Whoop-de-bloody-doo."

Quite frankly, I don't know what THQ were thinking releasing their relatively low profile game in the middle of BF3, MW3 and Skyrim.
ok this kind of bothers me

EVERYONE goes on and on and on about hwo "silly" and jurvanille it is

but I dont think it is (ok hear me out here) yes it is over the top and silly...but in a sort of self awre tarantino style...its actually genuinly funny, the charachters are actually genuinly likeable/interesting and I foudn the story geniunly interesting and I always wanted to know what happened next (with SR2 at least..havnt finished SR3)

you know whats more silly? red faction gurrella, because it tries to be serious and FAILS soo miserably, the story is stock and handeled poorly and the charachrts are bland...if RFG took the "starshiptroopers" aproach it could have been gold..instead its just an ok game

hell splatterhouse...or darksiders is more juvanile than SR2/3....

I think SR is actually "good" as much as poeople love the "dildo" as a weopon I think thers more there that peopel overlook

Zhukov if you havnt played SR2 go do so....dont let the "imaturity" put you off..because as I said..its got more going for it than other more serious games
Yeah, I get that. And I completely agree that games like Guerilla, Splatterhouse and Darksiders take themselves way too seriously and come out the worse for it. (Fun fact: Guerilla was made by the same people as SR.)

Saint's Row is a series that says, "Hey, screw being serious and pretentious, let's just revel in the sheer silliness of it all". And I can get behind that... to a point. However, at least in my eyes, it just tries too damn hard. It tries to be "whacky" in the same way that Darksiders tries to be epic.

Humour is better when it has a bit of weight behind it. If you've ever read a Terry Pratchett book then you'll know what I mean. Sadly, judging by the couple of hours I played on my housemate's console, Saint's Row falls closer to the Scary Movie end of the humour spectrum.

Admittedly, it's partly a preference thing. I personally enjoy more serious and grounded material, even in video games. Also, call me jaded, but I've killed a lot of NPCs. Yet another game that revolves around blowing stuff up will always struggle to catch my interest.

I actually have SR2 on my Steam list. I grabbed it ages ago during one of those dastardly sales. Just haven't got around to playing it. My backlog at the moment is... actually getting a bit scary.
out of interested it was SR3 that you played for a bit?

fair enough...though I still urge you to play SR2, It succeded at making me care about the charachters and such more than other more serious games. and I also get uncomfortable when charachters do morally questionable things that Im suposed to be ok with

SR is an exception (sure some things Im like "man..that was harsh" but in the end its like a tarantino film..its its own little world)

yeah my backlog has been scary for quite some time now

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
mikeli4194 said:
I feel you, OP. I am personally loving every minute of SR3. It feels like a sandbox game where all the sand is replaced by cocaine and powdered sugar...and I can't remember having this much pure FUN with any other videogame
I've played the opening mission, and while I was rofling quite a bit...I'm not sure I like the cartoony style (even if the games have always been silly). And the character generator was nowhere near as awesome as that in SR2. Steps back are a big no-no.... :\

Will play more of it though...as soon as I am done with Skyrim. Which it seems might take a while =o

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vault101 said:
out of interested it was SR3 that you played for a bit?

fair enough...though I still urge you to play SR2, It succeded at making me care about the charachters and such more than other more serious games. and I also get uncomfortable when charachters do morally questionable things that Im suposed to be ok with

SR is an exception (sure some things Im like "man..that was harsh" but in the end its like a tarantino film..its its own little world)

yeah my backlog has been scary for quite some time now
Yeah, it was SR3.

Okay, I'll give SR2 a try. Maybe I can make room between, Jade Empire, Planescape: Torment, replaying Human Revolution and Mass... OH GOD, THE LIST! MAKE IT STOP!

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
The first Saints Row was a godawful game.

SR2 crashed on me more times than I can remember and when it didn't the framerate dropped to shit. Right when I was getting into the game it'd fucking freeze and then I wouldn't play it for two days or so. And by the time I got into the story the game was over.

SR3 looks fun but I hear it's even shorter than the first two. I really don't give a shit about the removal of clothing layers because I never used that feature to begin with and multiplayer has never been fun in sandbox games. It sucked in GTA IV, it was broken in SR1, and it was useless in SR2.

So to answer your question. Not really.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
It kind of has been overshadowed by all these super huge releases recently :p

I bought it when it came out but I haven't even open it yet. MW3 and Skyrim have been occupying my time >.>

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
I'm swapping between both Skyrim and SRIII.
SRIII is great fun for just tooling around in. A bit near the knuckle in places and aimed at the teen boy market, but still great fun.

Skyrim is a game you can just get lost in. And I do.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Rednog said:
Not a lot of people are talking about because it really is just a good game, it isn't excellent and some people, myself included, are slightly disappointed with the game because it doesn't feel as epic as Saints Row 2. I'm hoping and looking forward to 4 but right now 3 is a yup I spent a solid 15 hours and I'm done, nothing super memorable.
Yeah, I agree with this. It's a good game and it's fun an all, but I don't think there's anything in it that Saints Row 2 didn't already do better. Well the driving feels better in Saints Row The Third and the PC port is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, but apart from that it's a step down.
However I love the game and I agree with the OP, I am surprised that I haven't seen one thread about it since it was released before this one. However as some stated Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare, Metacritics and complaints about perfect scores have been crowding up this site for a while now.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I got it as a filler for Skyrim, and I must say I'm really disappointed in it. It seems rushed, and incomplete, not to mention the technical hitches.

The gameplay is insubstantial and flawed, the graphics are sub-par, the story is all over the place, and for the best part makes no sense in places as to the scene.

But over all, it is a very fun game. I've already sunk plenty of hours into it's ludicrisy, and I'm sure today won't be an exception. It just just seems like a game that you play, and don't realize how long you've played it for 12 hours later. It's a good time waster.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Ashendarei said:
I purchased Saint's Row on a steam sale, checked it out and realized it was GTA with more driving / racing sections (BLEAGH).

The LAST thing GTA needed was more driving :p
Saints Row 3 is nothing like the first.

The first wasn't that good, it was a GTA clone, if you will.
Saints Row 2 was where it started to branch out, it started become its own game.
Now Saints Row 3 has just thrown all the rules out of the window and gone batshit insane, it is amazing.

GO BUY IT

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I'm not interested. Granted, I've never played the previous two games, but I look at SR3 and... ugh. Sorry, but it's TOO over the top. I can take a certain level of absurdity and ridiculousness, but SR3 dives so far into the juvenile that I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not really. I was considering to pre-order it, but after watching some more gameplay videos I didn't feel tempted to anymore. I will get it eventually, though it'll have to wait a year or something.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
I fukin loved it!
Speaking of skyrim...
what would happen if

Saints row the third || Skyrim

(who else gets this?)

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Saint's Row the Third, I got to play it for a while, said to myself "Same as SR1 and SR2. So Ill get it later when I have recovered from the SkyrimDarkSoulsArkhamCity moneydrain combo.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I'm actually enjoying it more than Skyrim now. It's a pretty good port to PC, with functional UI. Yay. Plus it's absurdly over the top amazing from the very first sequence (as opposed to Skyrim!) and really using UAV drones to spread mayhem in city is loads of unrestrained fun.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Out of all the Novmber released it's the only game I have got. I have really enjoyed it. I feel it has been over shadowed by Skyrim which seems to be the only thing people talk about of these forums lately. Though it gets the odd thread. It seems like a lot of people were disappointed with SR3. Though others enjoyed it. Someone should do a poll to get the numbers.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
I think the real question is Does Anyone Care About Assassins Creed Revelations? I've not heard it being mentioned anywhere despite it selling pretty well :(

Anyway, Hell Yes I care about Saints Row 3! It brilliant and is my personal GOTY (F@$K SKYRIM!) I've laughed out loud on more than one occasion and the voice acting is perfect, they even managed to make the British accent even better. I don't think it's juvenile, it's perfectly aware of how ludicrous it is. Anyway, to sum it up, IT'S BLOODY BRILLIANT! :D

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Everyone SHOULD care about Saints Row The Third. The game is awesome and the series is awesome. There is no better game for co-op currently available than Saints Row 2 or 3.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I care. It's practically the only game I've played since it was released, and I loved just about every minute of it. I don't think I've laughed this much at a game since playing Portal 2 co-op, and everything was just immature, absurd, and over-the-top enough to counteract the heaviness of all the deeper, more intelligent games I usually prefer to play. I absolutely love games that try to tell good stories and tackle difficult themes, but sometimes I've got to take a break from all that and hit things with a giant purple dildo, ya know? Well, Saints Row The Third is that break, and it's an exceptional one at that.

urahara75

Aug 21, 2010
Vault101 said:
urahara75 said:
Yep... it gets (seemingly) overlooked because everyone knows Saints Row's (the franchise as a whole) deal: loads and loads of juvenile, depraved, criminally-inspired mayhem. The End.
Not that it's a bad thing; it's actually quite the opposite with today's myriad of games vying to be socially relevant, innovative &/or "artistically inclined". An intermittent "breath of fresh air", or somesuch... ( ¯3¯)
ok this kind of bothers me

EVERYONE goes on and on and on about hwo "silly" and jurvanille it is

but I dont think it is (ok hear me out here) yes it is over the top and silly...but in a sort of self awre tarantino style...its actually genuinly funny, the charachters are actually genuinly likeable/interesting and I foudn the story geniunly interesting and I always wanted to know what happened next (with SR2 at least..havnt finished SR3)

you know whats more silly? red faction gurrella, because it tries to be serious and FAILS soo miserably, the story is stock and handeled poorly and the charachrts are bland...if RFG took the "starshiptroopers" aproach it could have been gold..instead its just an ok game

hell splatterhouse...or darksiders is more juvanile than SR2/3....

I think SR is actually "good" as much as poeople love the "dildo" as a weopon I think thers more there that peopel overlook

Zhukov if you havnt played SR2 go do so....dont let the "imaturity" put you off..because as I said..its got more going for it than other more serious games
Exactly. I should have mentioned it in my post, but the story -- hell, even quite a few characters themselves, readily do the things they do in a bashing-the-fourth-wall, "get it yet?", tongue-in-cheek kind of manner. It's just that here, where Saints Row shines in all it's psychopathic glory, is where it (sort of) gimps itself in maintaining relevancy/appeal beyond momentary "wow-factor". Basically, "if you've played through once before, you can tell where the next is going". :\