Does anyone else game with their girlfriends?

illirica

Jan 18, 2009
My husband and I game together a fair bit. I don't do FPS games, on account of not being able to walk in one direction and shoot in another (yes, I know, I'm incompetent), but we play a lot of hack'n'slash together like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and also a fair bit of Rock Band/GH. I also do a lot of "backseat gaming" and watch him play through games that I ordinarily wouldn't play by myself, and spend my time looking for hidden items he can grab.

We've tried a few MMO's, but they don't really work for us because he's too competitive. The instant I outlevel him, he's no longer interested in the game - and I inevitably outlevel him, because I *like* grinding.

I think it's good to game together - it gives us something to do, and also keeps us informed about each other's interests. Plus, it gives us food for conversation, so that's cool too.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
No, my g/f says that games are "the gay," and "shit."

Despite this, she does play a little on her Mum's DS.

john_alexander

Aug 16, 2008
So far, we only play Rock Band together; most of our tastes in games are single-player. We do, however, share games often. I got her into Bioshock, and she restored my faith in a few JRPG's (though not many).

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
We used to play the FPS Vietcong together. I'd control the movement, and she'd control the mouse/shooting part. Being Chinese, she'd insist on being on the vietcong side, shooting Americans. Come to think of it, she enjoyed that game a little too much...

Cuacuani

Nov 16, 2009
I'm slowly working on converting my fiancée. She enjoys Left 4 Dead because 'you don't have to think about who to shoot - everyone is an enemy*.' We've also played the Halo 2 and 3 campaigns through on easy.

Also, my fiancée is a huge Risk fan. She regularly kicks my arse up and down the map, much to her own amusement. I haven't tried to turn this into 'so...let's try playing an RTS' yet (because I'm scared she might be better than me at Company of Heroes and then there'd be no end to the gloating).

*Sadly, this includes Witches, me and whichever other CPU-controlled survivors are with us.

Xette

Jan 11, 2010
Chu Man Foo said:
Other than that, she has a weird fetish for Final Fantasy X and plays that over and over again.
Are you sure I'm not your girlfriend? o_O

rompsku

Oct 2, 2009
We play lots of games. Pretty much anything that's co-op. She terrible at most games though, except Sacred 2 which is is pretty amazing at.

Beldaros

Jan 24, 2009
Gamer girls aren't that uncommon, the majority of my friends are female including the missus, we play games together quite a lot, from racing, to fighting, to FPS' to RPG'. Girls are common in the gaming world now.

mattiboi24

Mar 17, 2009
Fox1789 said:
im a chick, but i would never play anything where me and my bofriend are competeing against eachother. We are both too competative
Ha, speaking of that, I feel bad, and this sounds chauvinistic, but I used to let Allie (my GF) win at GH3 when we used to play it because I ended up getting better than her and it was really pissing her off. XD Though we're pretty evenly matched on Smash Bros Melee, which makes it the perfect game since we're usually 50/50 on any level. -_^

Mukil

Mar 23, 2010
Yeee alll the time! Anytime I play a game she plays it with me too. Mind you, her name's dualshock 3. =(

Chancecall

Money to burn
Nov 18, 2009
Never with my girlfriend, more 'instead of' my girlfiend. She shows no interest in that particular hobby sadly. Even then, I'm a solo flyer and probably wouldn't play with her anyway.

....Does anyone else have this situation: You play games and they the missus (or mr) gets angry that you don't pay her (him) attention, so you have to turn it off. THEN when she (he) falls asleep on the night, you will sneak out of bed to play games and inevitably always get caught?

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I played wario ware with my ex, but I play wario ware with homeless people in the street.

As for up and coming, dunno. I don't think she's a gamer, but I have yet to ask her. She certainly is competitive though. I look forward to the opertunity to domina....

NO! BAD DUCK! Forum may have kiddies, hide innuendos and sexual suggestions behind other things.

I look forward to -having a lovely walk on the beach where we only hold hands- and she grabs the towel rail.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I normally have to push her off my PC and Dragon Age if she wakes up before me!

We both have DS Lites and SoulSilver/HeartGold so we occasionally trade and battle.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
Only if its not more complex than Nintendo systems
I always did wonder why the wii mote had a vibrate feature, was wrapped in silicon and looked slightly suggestive. Maybe that's the adult game that's secretly on the wii!

Fighting for the Tv remote. What, what did you think I meant?

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
afaceforradio said:
Meemaimoh said:
afaceforradio said:
Meemaimoh said:
My boyfriend and I only ever game together when I join him on WoW. :( It's the only game he ever plays.

Better than nothing, I suppose.
If he's a PC gamer then maybe it'd be worth trying to get him to play Dragon Age, or something if he likes Fantasy? I guess it depends on what you yourself are into :)
Yeah, I've been trying to nudge him towards DA. He's played KOTOR and NWN and loved them. No reason why he shouldn't love that too, right?

He reckons games aren't fun any more unless they're online. I'm really hoping DA will be enough to give us some more common gaming ground again.
Ouch, he really thinks that? While I'll fully agree that AI can't compare to a living, breathing human controlling your teammates, you'd be hard stretched to find consistently decent players unless you possess five friends that own the same game and are on at the same time (in my experience anyway, may be I'm wrong). Plus, offline CO-OP games are brilliant; at least the person is there in the room with you!

Keep pushing with DA, the PC version I've heard is brilliant to play (I've got the 360 version) :) good luck! Hehe
I agree, there are so many good, funny and hilarious offline games with co-op and some without. Hell Castle Crashers, Splosion man, Mario Kart (double dash mind), Wario ware (if you don't mind acting like a 5 year old). You can't say if it's not online it's not fun, that's bollocks. It's much more fun if the person is sitting next to you. That and more... how can I put this?

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Oh yes. It comes of first meeting your girlfriend over WoW. She's always been better than me at that to an embarassing degree (to the point where I wonder if people were just inviting me, the half-assed rogue too lazy even for our little roleplay guild's forays into Icecrown, to raids to keep her, the main healer repeatedly turning down invites from the server's top raiding guilds, happy).

I'm much better at Team Fortress 2 though, and that's so much more point-your-big-phallic-rocket-launcher-and-let-out-explosive-discharge manly. *flex*