Does Anyone Here Remember The 80s

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
I was born in '85 so the only real memories I have of the '80s were my parents constantly watching Schwarzenegger action movies (specifically Terminator and Total Recall) on VHS, and me watching TMNT and Thundercats.

But I was the prime age for all the '90s kid fads. I remember Trapper-keepers, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, Power Rangers, pogs, '90s Nickelodeon, the peak of the Pokemon craze, Digimon and other electronic pets, Starter jackets, Britney, 'NSync and all that other crappy pop, Goosebumps books, and trying to collect Beanie Babies 'cause someone said they'd make us rich someday. THAT was my childhood.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I remember the 80's seeing how I was born in '83. I remember being cold all the time and everyone griping about Maggie "Milk Snatcher" Thatcher. Work was scarce, everyone was poor and there was much political unrest in general. (What's changed since then, eh?)

But on the plus side, I do remember people being much friendlier, the gaming, films and the music a whole lot better than it is now. I also remember analogue TV which only had a few channels but usually had something good on between the four channels Even the children's television was still fairly edgy. (See Knightmare... It was naaaaarrsty in places.)

But today, everything is disposable. The music and films these days are completely forgettable. The friendliness has gone and while you got loads of television channels - there's rarely anything on worth watching. With the exception of Family Guy, American Dad, Casualty, Holby City and NCIS. (The last one is my guilty pleasure, so feel free to mock me for it!)

The 80's were cool in their own way. Culturally, I think they were better - technologically, they sucked Barbie Dolls.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Born in '92 and while I have a bit of an affinity for the 70's (mostly the music), I wouldn't want to live there as we much higher standards of technology, social tolerance and acceptance, ethics, morality and general life quality in our current era. Not to mention we still have all the media that people love from their favoured decades as well as many modern masterpieces to appreciate which are all easy to find and get a hold of thanks to contemporary technology so I can enjoy the best things from all decades. If I have my cake, I want to fucking well eat it too. The 80's has some nice stuff as well but I don't really have the same affinity for it and again, wouldn't want to live there due to the reasons above.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I was born in the 1970's, so I remember them quite well. It was an interesting time, so much was changing in the 80's and 90's...

Aug 1, 2010
I remember that time well.

I was pretty small and it was warm and dark and wet, but at least I had a few million brothers around me at all times.

Every now and then there would be an earthquake and a whole bunch of them would leave frantically.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I was born in 83, so I really only have memories of 85-90 and even so it is the pop culture, more then political events and personal things.

Transformers, Michael Jackson, and Arnold Schwarzenegger were big.

The De Lorian was the cool

Arcades were the place to go for fun.

and the holy sextet of Nintendo games were Mario, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, Megaman, and Contra.

Mareon

Nov 20, 2010
I was born 1985-02-12. I have one hell of a memory of one hell of a firecracker celebrating the new decade. I also really liking the Socjet national anthem, but if that us because me remembering the damn thing or me just stumbeling on to it dure to youtube is anyones guess.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I was born in 1975, so not only do I remember all the awesome, experimental and off-the-wall shows and movies that came down the pipe in the 80's (like Tron, Knight Rider, Max Headroom and pretty much every cartoon from Japan), but... I did, actually, at one point... own a pair of parachute pants.

DON'T JUDGE ME! *runs away*

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
I was born in 82, and I don't recall all that much, and what I do recall is kinda blurred in with the early 90s. I remember atari, nes, sega master system. I remember going to the arcade and spending all my allowance because the games had superior graphics ( but by todays standards look like flash games) I remember marbles was everyones favourite pasttime in the schoolyard, and kids would yell "scramble" and everyone would immediately run out into the field in hopes of getting close to the hurled chunk of glass.

Like every decade, it had its good and bad, ridiculous fashions, and fashions that carry over til today. 80s was probably one of the most influential decades on videogames and music.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
I was born in ?95, and I can only currently experience the 80?s through THE POWER OF MUSIC!!!
C?mon, would you rather listen to these, or most of the crap that?s currently on the charts? Think about it?..Carefully.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I'm not old enough to remember the gas crisis and the recession (in South Florida we weathered that one fairly well thanks to the cocaine boom, in any event), but I do remember the Challenger exploding and putting the writing on the wall for manned space exploration. And I remember the AIDS panic putting the final nail in the coffin of the free love movement, it took years for casual sex to recover.

Way to crush all my dreams, 1980s.

Fewell

Aug 12, 2011
Born in '77
Music was sweet and sex was gonna kill you but it didn't matter anyways because nuclear armageddon was inevitable.
We did have the best comedies though.

Wyld Fyre

Jul 9, 2011
I was born in 70, as far as the 80s go I remember fighting, everyone and everything... I remember being homeless. I remember being beaten by the L.A. PD with my own leather studded jacket outside a Bad Religion concert to prove to me it was a weapon, I was only 15, though in hindsight I was being very rude to them... very rude. I remember meeting my future wife at a T.S.O.L. concert. I remember an arcade that served beer even if you did not have ID. I remember less then I have forget.

MLChanges

Feb 26, 2011
nikki191 said:
as someone who was a teenager during the 80's .. (yes im that old) id like to invite you all back for a tribute :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3dTkv60h-A

but seriously for all the colour blind fashion desingers and rubicks cubes we all remember from then it did have a darkside, it was the last decade of the cold war. no one growing up now can really understand what it was like knowing at any moment someone somewhere would press a red button and world war 3 started.

so yes i still remember the 80's, the last decade of the cold war, and the decade the berlin wall came down. still to this day 21 years later there has not been a single moment of global hope as that

for anyone looking at 80's teen culture.. look to the movies
Heathers as mentioned earlier, and the breakfast club still to this day one of the best movies ive seen)

Well there was that moment of global solidarity immediately after September 11, 2001 but that didn't last.

To be on topic, I was born in 81' and the only Transformers movie I'll ever acknowledge is from 1986

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
I don't remember the 80s considering my age. The only good things that came out of the 1980s were The Breakfast Club and Ferri Bueller's Day Off.
I beg to differ:

John Carpenter's "The Thing"
The "Back to the Future" series
Indiana Jones
Empire Strikes Back
Metallica
Mercyful Fate
Megadeth
Jim Henson films (The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I wasn't even a sperm in my fathers testicle in the 80's.

But from the historical archives of big hair and power chordes. It looks like the 70's... Just, gayer.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
I was a 00s teen as well but I feel like I should have been a teen in the 60s just like my dad. I mean, I get on like an old lady enough as it is. Not to mention I tend to be more interested in a hard rock music from that decade as well as the 70s like Ritchie Blacmore's Rainbow and Jethro Tull.
Games in the 80s and 90s were brilliant. Though that being said, I loved the cartoons during my childhood, regardless of how buggered up they were, haha! Can't deny they were brilliant, however, I've seen a lot of cartoons and films from the 80s and they're fantastic. Anyone here heard of the animated film "Wizards"?
I agree with a few people here about the Godawful fashion sense though. Gee whiz.

x