Does Anyone Here Remember The 80s

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I was born in 1983 so I do remember some of the 80s. However the 90s is far more vivid in my mind. Despite what everyone might say, I loved the 90s.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I grew up in the 80's and have some fond memories.

Yeah we had the recession but me, my brother and sister used to have some fun trying to scrimp money together for sweets.

I only have 2 bad memories of the 80's and thats my mullet and my anorak with mittens sewn into the end of the sleeves.

I hated that coat.

Fondest memory is my Atari 2600 ..... and on my 6th birthday I got a plastic shotgun with a cork on a bit of string you put in the barrel to shoot out. Gave my dad a black eye with it. Then smashed it trying to kill a spider.

Also had my nose broke for the first time in 1988 during a Jeet Kune Do exhibition. Managed to (barely) win the fight but couldn't see or smell anything properly for about a week afterwards.

Ahh the memories.

BRING BACK THE 80'S ..... except mullets and coats with mittens sewn into them.

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
DarthScorpio11 said:
I'm 21, and was born 11.12.89. So i was a new born around the time the 80s was ending. As a kid, i always though 80s stuff was corny and lame, growing up with CGI stuff like Jarassic Park, and 3D video games like Playstation. However, as i got older, i started becoming more fascinated with 80s. Seems like a pretty cool laid back, and cheesy, yet fun time. I wish i could just walk down the street with a boombox on my shoulder now-a-days. I'd trade my teen years in the 00s for being a teen in the 80s
I was born in 1970, so with my teenage years, the 80's started as well. It wasn't long before I got introduced to computers and videogames, most notably Scramble, Missile Command, Donkey Kong, and Pacman. Music was very interesting in the 80's, with all those brand new digital synths such as the yamaha dx 7 and the whole parade of drummachines that were being made back then. I really enjoyed the 80's, wouldn't want to have missed them.

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Sure I do. I was born in '80 and grew up with cheap animation like Transformers G1 and crap music like Europe.

The '90s sucked already, but not as hard as the '80s.

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Well, I was born on '93 so I have no first hand experience, but I think I can safely say that the 80s were better than the 90s.
Back to the Future, amazing music, awesomely hilarious clothing (gigantic shoulders and pastels, nice), great cartoons, and just generally a more upbeat tone, I think.

Also, The Cult's Love album was released then. Need I say more?

PeacanPie

Jan 17, 2011
I remember being an egg cell vaguely.
The only parts of the 80s I got to appreciate were the terrible sit-coms, the not quite as terrible movies and the decent music.

Felgy76

Oct 29, 2008
I remember getting a G1 Optimus Prime for my 8th birthday in 1984, I have never gotten so excited about a birthday present since.
I even still have it, minus a few small parts.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I wish I could, but alas, I was not born until the mid 90s.
I wish I could've lived during that time, with all the crazy clothes, music, and hairstyles.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Does Anyone Here Remember The 80s
Yep, but there's nothing to tell. Our 80's were completely different from civilised world's.
Here's the icon of our eighties :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoda0ga672c

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I was born in 88 so I don't remember the only 2 years of the 80s I lived thorough. Wish I was born earlier than I was at times though since I would of been able to see some awesome bands live like Queen.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Born in 1987 here but New Zealand was experiencing a cultural lag so the 80s stuck around for most of the early 90s. That being the case I "remember" a lot of things from the 80s but the truth is I just experienced them in the 90s.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I was also born in 87so I don't remember much in the 80. The only thing I do remember is playing with my toys (Star Wars, Dino Riders and TMNT etc) and there was such thing as a Saturday morning cartoon shows.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
My only regret for not being born yet in the 80's is that i missed out on stuff like this when it was new Seriously... that's a masterpiece of incredible proportions. Just look at that role-call

Dio, Vivian Campbell, Jimmy Bain, Kevin DuBrow, Carlos Cavazo, Yngwie Malmsteen, Eddie Ojeda, Don Dokken, George Lynch, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Rob Halford

How can you NOT love this?

Fashions on the other hand... i could very well do without.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
snippity
how was america not in any threat in the last decade? the people who died in the WTC were just everyday Americans who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. No one knew if this was going to happen again, or where it was going to happen. Who is that not intimate?
If it had happened again a few thousand may have died, if it was a massively successful attack beyond the dreams of its planners, maybe even tens of thousands may have died. If World War Three had started in the eighties there maybe would have been tens of thousands of survivors. I think the treat of imminent nuclear destruction beats the off chance that someone would breach U.S. security again post 9/11. I'm sure your fear was very real, but it was a fear of death and the death of your family, with the Cold War it was a fear of fiery apocalypse for all of humanity.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I was born in the VERY late '70's and so I count myself more as a kid from the 80's then anything else. What to say? Hearing things on the news about the 'star wars program', thinking how awesome it would be to battle in space with light sabres. Hearing about the 'iron curtain' and wondering why they don't shove that one open to see each other... oh.. good'old misconceptions I had as a child. AAAAAnd of course the music!! LOVE IT!!! The time when home electronics were booming and the walkman was introduced (didn't skip as the diskman ;P). My C64 and all the games that came with it. People being afraid of the cold war all the time while I was reenacting tour of duty with my friends... good old times!!!

Sepphyre

Mar 3, 2011
Born in '74, the 80's in Australia were the best time to grow up in. The music and movies were far more memorable than most since then. The fashion... hmm yeah awkward, looking back :) But for anyone who didn't experience it at the time, seeing all that 80's content now will likely not do much for them, since nostalgia plays a large part of the appreciation for the era.

A massive memory of the 80's for me is essentially the advent of electronic gaming. Even though Atari and a few others brought out consoles in the late 70's, the first consoles from Sega and Nintendo came out in '85 and helped establish a level of entertainment that households hadn't seen before, as well as the Commodore 64 and other 8-bit computers helping to define the time. For sure, it's difficult to play those systems nowadays when we have access to modern technology, but if you think about the first time you got access to the internet, or the first time you drove a car, well playing these 8-bit games back then had that kind of impact to a young person.

And the arcades back then actually meant something... they were EPIC, since home hardware was always significantly behind that which was in the arcades, and gave the kids something awesome to look forward to after school.

The 80's in the main were something you didn't take too seriously, but just enjoyed for all the quirkiness that it offered. The song below typifies the 80's.

Enjoy :)