Does Being Politically Incorrect Makes You A Bigot?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
TheMajesticSpaceDuck said:
RaikuFA said:
Hell people even used "political correctness gone mad" to defend Brock Turner.
There's no amount of facepalm gifs that can describe how much you fail if you think like that.

There's a lot of examples of PC culture gone mad. Bahar Mustafa, that Hugh Mungus lady and a fuck ton more. I try and not let it bother me. Let them kill themselves over the stress from trying to PC small things. They still shouldn't have the right to get people fired for making a joke they don't like.
Agreed. There's a lot of examples of both sides being goddamned idiotic though. But like I was saying I don't think those idiots devalue the actual arguments, what does that is both sides legitimising the idiots by either acting like they're the only ones that exist on the other side of the fence or that the idiots on their own side don't exist. These days discussion is treated more like a sport and admitting your team did something wrong is like conceding a goal because everyone knows the winner of a conversation is the one who scored the most points.
That's why I don't like getting into discussions a lot. I at least try to see both sides of the argument but to a lot of people that's the wrong way to think.

Nov 19, 2016
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:
There's no amount of facepalm gifs that can describe how much you fail if you think like that.

There's a lot of examples of PC culture gone mad. Bahar Mustafa, that Hugh Mungus lady and a fuck ton more. I try and not let it bother me. Let them kill themselves over the stress from trying to PC small things. They still shouldn't have the right to get people fired for making a joke they don't like.
Agreed. There's a lot of examples of both sides being goddamned idiotic though. But like I was saying I don't think those idiots devalue the actual arguments, what does that is both sides legitimising the idiots by either acting like they're the only ones that exist on the other side of the fence or that the idiots on their own side don't exist. These days discussion is treated more like a sport and admitting your team did something wrong is like conceding a goal because everyone knows the winner of a conversation is the one who scored the most points.
That's why I don't like getting into discussions a lot. I at least try to see both sides of the argument but to a lot of people that's the wrong way to think.
Bastards like us, trying to reach a consensus. We're worse than Hitler.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:

Last time I checked, Hitler was scared of us and our reasonable thinking.

Nov 19, 2016
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:

This is the internet. "You're a fascist" is the new "I disagree"

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:

Or "You're an SJW".

Nov 19, 2016
McMarbles said:
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:

Or "You're an SJW".
Let's not start a list of "Things people say instead of arguing" because I don't think the escapist can afford the servers to store all that information.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
McMarbles said:
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:
RaikuFA said:

Or "You're an SJW".
Let's not start a list of "Things people say instead of arguing" because I don't think the escapist can afford the servers to store all that information.
Just delete some Movie Bob videos, they'll be fine. Either way "Fascist" and "SJW" are the two biggest ones.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
I think the problem is that being political correct is textbook bigotry and that the OP thinks of political incorrectness as bigotry shows how influential the dogma pushing it is. The problem that can arise from things deemed political incorrect is that people can be nasty about it.

Discussing certain matters of race, sex, religion, sexuality and politics are restricted by political correctness. You can't discuss many things, people will be intolerant of them, by definition this is bigotry.

Whether you hate or support Trump you need to admit that there is a lot of bigotry against those that supported him. It was not politically correct, your support would gather a great deal of hostility, the same cannot be said against those who did not support him.

You can study people who identify as transgender, you hold little bias and just report what you find. If you find that they are just as emotionally stable as the rest of us then your findings will be praised, if you found otherwise then your findings are politically incorrect and you will personally be attacked by the political correct, your career will probably be over. If you discuss matters of racism or discrimination against whites or men then you will gather little support or open hostility, it's not political correct.

At it's positive being politically correct means just not being a dick, you try not to use racial slurs or sexist remarks to attack. You don't preach about abortion to a woman who has just had one.

They are measuring sticks, you can be too much of one or the other

Apr 24, 2008
Gengisgame said:
At it's positive being politically correct means just not being a dick, you try not to use racial slurs or sexist remarks to attack.
At inception I don't doubt that it curtailed a lot of genuine and overt bigotry(or... The expression of it). The problem is that it was so successful in creating social pressure and consequence that people noticed how much power there now was in "being offended", whether the feelings be genuine or not. I'm a little sick of empty-headed charlatans being given so much time on news shows, especially when their professional umbrage-taking inevitably ends up becoming the entire focus of every segment.

My problem with political correctness, as it stands, is that it seems to be hell-bent on shrinking the box of acceptable human thought through language control (and by extension a certain amount of thought control) and mindless umbrage taking (levying accusations of various flavours of bigotry comes in place of actual arguments and is annoyingly effective).

In short, I think it's being leveraged in nefarious ways and is genuinely making us dumber. It doesn't cure ills so much as hide them. It elevates facile people to the role of public intellectuals, and can make reasonable criticism untenable.

Given it's fluid nature, I could see some of it's staunch defenders changing their tune should they wind up on the wrong side of the gun. There must be something between the old days of overt bigotry and the current climate of fear and the abdication of intellectual honesty. My hope would be that we could arrive at something saner after a little backlash.

We'll see.