Does gay as a derogatory term offend you?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
It doesn't matter to me whether or not gay people are offended by its use. Gay is not synonymous with stupid. As long as people use it in that way casually, it's going to be a lot harder for homophobia to diminish in society. So I come down hard on anyone who does.

Zburator

Aug 20, 2012
I get more offended by people who are too easily offended.

To that point, 'gay' is a word I find that is used to voice frustration. As long as there is no real malice behind it, I think nothing of it. That said, I am far more scathing of people who take the white knight act and take shots at people who used the word harmlessly, or take it as a sign that they are somehow higher on the social scale of things.

In the end, it matters on what the context is.

But used in the sense that "This OP bullshit is so gay", "Doing the dishes is gay", etc, means nothing to me. If all our speech had to adhere perfectly to political correctness, our vocabulary would be much more boring.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
No, one of my friends is gay and he describes everything as "Gay as fuck" and often calls me a ******..so no it does not offend me.

I'm straight by the way.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I always justified it as "GHEY" not "GAY" just most people obviously aren't familiar with the former spelling and so use the more common one.

Definition of Ghey; Something that blows... or sucks... or both.

True story my girlfriend, once in college was being hit on by a lesbian, but she didn't realise it at the time, so anyway they were talking and my girlfriend described something as being "ghey" and the person hitting on them walked away in discuss. As such I vowed to raise social awareness of the difference between "ghey" and "gay" by attempting to organise a "ghey pride" festival where people could freely use the word "ghey" and not face discrimination from the few that have no understanding of contextual differences in phonetically similar words can sometimes be who other words.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
It depends on the context. If it's used as a slur, then yes, I will be offended for you using it as such. I won't be offended by being called it, but I will be offended by your use of it.

But as far as banter between friends goes, you know. It's the intent behind its usage (same goes for "fag" and "faggots" and such) that makes it offensive.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Unfortunately as with many other forms of profanity I use 'Gay' in the same sense one would say something is bad or terrible. I don't actually have anything against homosexuality, and I don't use the word in it's actual context or meaning.

This is coming from someone who would use the phrase "You fucking bastard!" in the same way as someone else might say "Oh you silly sausage!".

When I was growing up use of the word 'gay' was heavily widespread, so I guess I've become desensitised to how it may affect other people and cause offense.

duckers101

Jun 8, 2010
i use it a fair amount and have two gay friends, one who also uses it and one who it doesn't even clock with, its just a school boy insult which doesn't mean "you're homosexual" anymore more "that lost what made it good" or not even that alot of the time, i understand how that connection between whats said and whats ment looks bad but whenthe connection isn't even in your mind when you say it, then theres nothing there is just become another word to use like when people say fuck off or oh shit they dont want you to go and bone somthing while you walk away nor (for the most part) have they found feces lineing the room theyjust walked into the word has the meaning you give it and, as far as my social circle of frinds go (who are quite diverse as we're all poor in a very rich county in england and that lack of security breeds variaty) we dont see it as an insult, apart from alan but he looks like a horse and beats women. (sorry if i dyslexa'd everywhere)

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Well no. Mainly because when I use the term gay I just use it as an insult completely ignoring the gay aspect, when I call someone a gay I'm not trying to offended them with the fact the like guys I just use it to call people douchebags, the meaning of the word is slowly changing which is good. Also if anyone does use it as an actual insult to me it's kind of weak and unoriginal so they're welcome to do it.

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
My mate and I actually have an hilarious thing going, he's a hairy butt fucking ****** and I'm a pansy ass pussy fucker. It's hilarious when we're at LAN parties and people don't know us :D

We made it after that comedy thing about what's more manly, a straight guy that wants a nice, soft flower smelling girl or a gay man who wants to fuck a larger muscular bloke!

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
No. I'm just as offended if someone calls me a 'big stinky poo-poo head' - it has literally no meaning half the time people use it. If someone is trying to say I'm acting in a way stereotypical to gay males, then I just go along with it and say "Yurp, what's your point?" and watch as they stop using words and start making noises.

Dexter S. Bateman

Sep 19, 2011
I think I'm normally a bit ahead of the curve on these things...but to me it's the same as 'lame'. No one thinks that anyone who says the word lame is trying to offend the injured/crippled, and likewise I don't think very many people at all who use the word 'gay' in its (now) most common sense is really trying to relate anything to homosexuality. The closest to offense I could take when I hear someone say it is that I wonder why they can't think of a more inventive/witty way to say whatever they were saying.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I don't so much find it offensive as I find it annoying- Use the word the way it's meant to be used, for crying out loud.
Maybe that's just my inner grammar nazi unleashing itself or something...

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
I can't say it offends me, as I'm not gay. But it does annoy me to no end, as I believe that using slurs of any kind in any context is a sign of being common, vulgar, immature, and all-around lacking in refinement and intelligence.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I sometime say things like, "That film was really gay"

Technically I'm saying the film was very happy, although it was shit.

I don't use the term ****** though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Dusty Pancakes said:
Fappy said:
No, not really. I use all kinds of offensive words to describe things though. My friends are an understanding bunch :D
Understanding? I reckon it just comes down to a "snowball fight" mentality with my friends. :p
If you insult the bastards expect to get just as good back, and hopefully vice versa.
YOUR FRIENDS MUST ALL BE IDIOTS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN WITH ME, BLAH BLAH BLAH MY SHIFT KEY IS GOING TO BREAK
Still, that's an advantage if your friends (apparently) don't insult you back.

Oh yes, oh yes, that's right. OT: Nope.
I never meant to imply that they don't fight back. It's mutual animosity and abuse :p

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Gay? I'd thank them for noticing!
Hell even ****** seems non-insulting to me!
I don't understand how either term could be insulting!
Seriously though, there's so few homosexuals/bisexuals who just actually care these days, honest truth there's probably much fewer who do care than don't - do a poll and I'm sure it'd turn out that way.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
No, because I'm not gay. I still try not to say it. I'm sure plenty of gay people wouldn't find it offensive, but that doesn't somehow delegitimise the feelings of the ones who do. When homophobia/racism/sexism disappear I'm sure it'll be fine to fling slurs around, but until then I think it's better to show some sensitivity.

TKIR

Sep 7, 2011
The etymology of gay as a negative adjective:

Homosexuals are called gay
Homosexuals are considered by immature teens as bad/lame
Therefore they labeled anything bad/lame as gay

That's it. If you want to use the word gay casually for bad/lame than that's your prerogative, you are buying your way into a system that is disparaging a sexuality/minority. A system that causes many homosexuals great pain. Sure your contribution to the system is kinda small but personally I don't like helping the anti-gay side in anyway. I used to say gay that and gay this and a whole heap of bad things about homosexuals(about 12 years ago I claimed if one of my friends came out as gay I would no longer be their friend), but I realized my impact(no matter how small or big) and changed. Simply not saying it took away nothing from me, I'm still the most immature person I know.

What really offends me is when people say it's meaning has changed or there was no intent. No. The etymology is there and clear and unchanged. Don't be a coward and accept your actions.

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
I don't use it personally, but that's just the way stuff happens when language evolves over time. For example the word "lame" used to be used to describe someone who had a missing or non functioning limb. Nowadays it's more often used to describe something that's uninteresting or boring. It's essentially the same thing. I don't see mobs of angry protesters with missing limbs petitioning the misuse of a word which they think is derogatory towards their lack of appendages.

So no, I have no problems with people using a new definition for a word even if it may insult some people. It's happened before and it going to happen again. If you're pissed off because someone used a adjective that you don't like, I think you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.