Does gay as a derogatory term offend you?

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
No.

Words aren't offensive, context is. Words are only offensive if you allow them to be. In fact, if you're offended by words regardless of context, the problem is probably you.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No.

In fact I use the term myself when confronted with something overly and sickenly happy.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Offend? No.
Annoy? Yes.

Although the meaning isn't used in the same way now, I just associate it with the childish crap people used to do when kids, back when it was actually used to imply that you are gay, as if there is something wrong with it.

When I see/hear my friends use it, it just makes me feel that they haven't grown up.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Yes. And as it seems to be the tariff for posting, "Pansexual here".

I find it more of a display of a person's intelligence and lack of proper vocabulary for using it, "gay", as a slur in place of other more accurate terms, frankly. Much as this generation seems to use "hate" or (ugh) "hater" for anything from "minor annoyance" or "detractor" to "irritant", using "gay" when you mean "moronic" or "in poor taste" is symptomatic of a lack of social empathy to me, and very unworthy of the potential of our culture as a whole.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I yell 'that's so hetrosexual' all the time, most people laugh.

So no, laugh at everything, or laugh at nothing, If a person is using it aggressively, I usually take issue with their intent, not the words they're using. In text it's more difficult to pin point so should be used very very sparingly and in company you know face to face usually.

Words are a tool to convey emotion remember, so try to pin point that emotion first before you go all 'GRRR censorship'.

Words are words are words. They're powerful, but only if you let them have that kind of power.

I'd be glad to share my negative experiences with insecure homophobic cretins to validate my point and 'street cred' but I don't think it serves much purpose, this is my own take on how I see the world, you don't have to agree with it, but I would hope it does invoke a little thought about how reacting to words negatively can increase the power they wield over you.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It doesn't offend me, but then I don't have to be offended to know not to use it.

Part of me still thinks it's a shame that I can't use it anymore though. Terms like "gay" and "******" are incredibly useful words for describing stuff you find crappy, feckless, mawdlin and excessively pathetic. It was a very versatile insult. Here's hoping one day, ****** ceases to lose all connection to actual, real gay people, much like how bastard lost all connection with the illigitimate, and sod with the act of gay sex. When that happens, it'll probably be fine to use it again.

Killertje

Dec 12, 2010
People who get offended by words are gay.
This does not mean that all gay people are offended by words.

In the first sentence, gay means stupid/lame/idiots. In the second sentence, gay means homosexual.

Apr 5, 2008
Nope, don't give a damn. In that context it's not a derogatory slur discriminating against someone for their sexuality. It has a totally different meaning.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
No, doesn't offend me.

The term "******" doesn't offend me either. Although I have noticed a change in how it is used (for me anyway). I think the word "******" and calling something "gay" stopped meaning homosexual a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

Pretty much that.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I think it depends on the context. If someone called me a 'dirty little ******' then I'd assume there was malice behind it and consider that hate speech. On the other hand, whenever I get overly dramatic about something, my flatmate always says 'mate, you're being a bit of a faggy dick' and I think it's hilarious, because I know we're friends there's no aggression behind it.

Benni88

Oct 13, 2011
Your example, "The new -insert game here- screens are pretty gay" is not a derogatory statement. Gay is being used as a negative adjective. I don't personally get offended by this but my brother works with a gay guy and says that although he's used gay as a negative adjective around his colleague, he always feels bad for doing so.

I guess that if someone hears an expression used to describe themselves also used to describe something bad they might find it insulting if it goes on for a while. I can sympathise that.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
No I'm not offended. In fact it gives me a sense of social superiority because it reminds me that the user is an insensitive arsehole and I am a good guy. If someone uses it on my server they get one warning and if they re-offend a ban. You can trash talk all you want but you use the magic race and sexuality words and boom, you're gone.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Nah, and frankly if anyone is offended by it, I'd consider them to be a little bit pathetic. If there's no derogatory intention behind it, people can use whatever words they want to describe anything. If you have a problem with that, well... too bad, basically.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
octafish said:
No I'm not offended. In fact it gives me a sense of social superiority because it reminds me that the user is an insensitive arsehole and I am a good guy. If someone uses it on my server they get one warning and if they re-offend a ban. You can trash talk all you want but you use the magic race and sexuality words and boom, you're gone.
What if someone was to say, say:
This sh*t is so bad, it's really straight / hetero?

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
No, why would it? Why would it offend anybody? And if, for some reason, it does get your knickers in a twist; too bad deal with it. If some mere words that aren't even used in a context that pertains to you or anybody in particular offend your delicate sensibilities I think you need to grow up. Don't be so gay about it.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I'm too old to have every really dealt with this usage. Outside of the internet, I can only clearly recall encountering it once, from a coworker. Mostly it just struck me as unprofessional.

When I was a kid we used "lame" or "retarded" instead. Co-opted slurs about physical or mental ability, rather than sexual prowess.