Does height matter anymore?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
1,620
81
33
Country
Free-Dom
Personally, I've dated a girl who was my height (5'11") and...while not overly fond of it for intimacy purposes (I like being able to easily/readily manipulate muh partner in the bedroom, if ya know what I mean) it certainly wasn't a deal breaker. And it continues to not be an issue.

All sizes may apply.

I mean, I'm above average height and still constantly see people who just downright tower over me so I can't even imagine what it must be like for a dude at, say, 5'6"-5'8".

Fortunately, 95% of them are guys and I'm just not into the wang, despite my avatar's insistence to the contrary.
 

Boris Goodenough

New member
Jul 15, 2009
1,428
0
0
LeathermanKick25 said:
How in the actual fuck did you come to the conclusion that you get paid more the taller you are?
There was a study done a fiar bit back, it was shown on Dicovery Channel, people on Wallstreet got paid mor ethe tlaler they were, something along of the lines: for every inch above 6 foot, they made 3k USD more.

I assume it is a mix of admiration/intimidation that causes it in business dealings.
 

Boris Goodenough

New member
Jul 15, 2009
1,428
0
0
LeathermanKick25 said:
Boris Goodenough said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
How in the actual fuck did you come to the conclusion that you get paid more the taller you are?
There was a study done a fiar bit back, it was shown on Dicovery Channel, people on Wallstreet got paid mor ethe tlaler they were, something along of the lines: for every inch above 6 foot, they made 3k USD more.

I assume it is a mix of admiration/intimidation that causes it in business dealings.
Sounds more like it was Wallstreet specific, and not the norm. Because of all the jobs I've worked I've earned the same as everyone else.
Yeah, I agree, or at least business dealings.
 

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
3,829
0
0
It never mattered to begin with, but it does have a few quirks.

As an especially tall woman, I know on the whole guys tend to prefer to be the taller ones.
And I admit, on the few occasions I've run into a guy that is in fact taller than me, it can make me feel kind of weird and giddy.

But... Is it important? Nah.
It's really not that important.

As for me being fussy about dating a shorter guy...
Uhm... Look, I can understand why some women might feel that way (Hell, I know from personal experience, as I said above), I'm so tall that if I put that restriction on things my chances of meeting anyone become so minuscule I might as well give up.

It's a challenge even finding a guy the same height as me, let alone one that's taller.

Given that situation, what difference does it make to me if I have to date a 'tall' guy (who is probably still shorter than me unless he's really, freakishly tall), or a 'short' one?
 

Ihateregistering1

New member
Mar 30, 2011
2,034
0
0
LeathermanKick25 said:
Boris Goodenough said:
LeathermanKick25 said:
How in the actual fuck did you come to the conclusion that you get paid more the taller you are?
There was a study done a fiar bit back, it was shown on Dicovery Channel, people on Wallstreet got paid mor ethe tlaler they were, something along of the lines: for every inch above 6 foot, they made 3k USD more.

I assume it is a mix of admiration/intimidation that causes it in business dealings.
Sounds more like it was Wallstreet specific, and not the norm. Because of all the jobs I've worked I've earned the same as everyone else.
It's not Wall-Street specific, it's damn near universal, though it's more prominent in Sales and Management positions:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/02/02/cb.tall.people/
http://www.livescience.com/5552-taller-people-earn-money.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200310/tall-people-get-paid-more

It's actually not as outlandish as it seems: there's tons of research that shows that attractive people tend to get paid more. Especially for men, being tall is almost universally considered a highly attractive trait compared to being short, hence they get paid more.
 

elvor0

New member
Sep 8, 2008
2,320
0
0
To women shorter than me, I'm not fussed, my wife is 4ft 9(she's legally a Dwarf, now if only I could get her to take up blacksmithing, which is still a reasonably big thing in Finland....), in theory I wouldn't be bothered about my girlfriend being taller than me, though in practice I might feel a bit silly if she was taller than me by a large margin. I'm 5ft 7, so a little below average in the UK, but quite a bit more in Finland where I'm surrounded by vikings. Strangely though, ceilings, lamps and hanging things are all really low hanging in Finland compared to the UK, to the point where I consistantly hit my head on things, so how do the vikings not do it?

But in society at large, the general view is still that men should be taller than women, just because of the general manliness-feminine social construct. Even my wife said that she'd feel silly if I were the same hight as her or smaller, granted that's never been an issue for her, but yeah.
 

Smooth Operator

New member
Oct 5, 2010
8,162
0
0
It matter on a primal level, as muscles, butts, boobs,...
Not a deal breaker if the person of interest is out of ideal height range but you are loosing points and someone else might win that competition. It's not a huge margin however.

And for shorter guys let's just make this clear, I'm around 6'2" and while there might be the occasional positive comment about my height there is nothing offered beyond that. You got to run your mouth to get shit done no matter how tall you got.
 

Aeshi

New member
Dec 22, 2009
2,640
0
0
LeathermanKick25 said:
Sounds more like it was Wallstreet specific, and not the norm. Because of all the jobs I've worked I've earned the same as everyone else.
While it probably doesn't play as big a factor outside of Wallstreet, I still think it'd play a factor, since the "admiration/intimidation factor" would probably be helpful when you're asking for a raise (for instance.)

On-Topic: I think it depends on your gender. Girls of just about any height are probably attractive to someone, but I've yet to meet one girl who would seriously consider dating someone shorter than her, so if you're short guy then you're basically doomed to die alone barring exceedingly good luck.

That's if you have good acquaintances/coworkers. If you don't then being a short guy is basically the worse parts of being fat-shamed, only now its for something you have zero influence over.

"Height isn't everything!" I see many people cry in this thread, and they're not wrong. But "not everything" isn't quite the same thing as "nothing/not important." 99% of something "isn't everything" for instance.
 

And Man

New member
May 12, 2014
309
0
0
It depends entirely on the individuals. I know women who wouldn't date men shorter than them and women who would, and I know men who wouldn't date women taller than them and men who would. Personally, as a man of 5' 8 5/8" (which is pretty fun to say btw), I don't care either way whether a woman is taller or shorter than me.

Edit: I will say though that the majority of people do seem to care about height.
 

Hagi

New member
Apr 10, 2011
2,741
0
0
Most issues I have with height are that when I go abroad the general assumption seems to be that people stop growing after about 1.90m (6'3") or so.

I didn't... So my feet will never know the feeling of a foreign bed.

As for the whole dating thing, wouldn't really know. The vast majority of women seem to like taller men and I've never met a woman taller than me after leaving high school.
 

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
739
0
0
Hagi said:
Most issues I have with height are that when I go abroad the general assumption seems to be that people stop growing after about 1.90m (6'3") or so.

I didn't... So my feet will never know the feeling of a foreign bed.

As for the whole dating thing, wouldn't really know. The vast majority of women seem to like taller men and I've never met a woman shorter than me after leaving high school.
Wait...you're 6'3" or so, but you've never met a woman shorter than you?? Where the hell are you living that the only women around are all giants??

OT: I'm about 6'2" and have only dated women shorter than me, but that's just because they happened to be shorter than me and not any preference. Honestly, I wish my wife was a bit taller or I was a bit shorter so I wouldn't have to lean down so far to kiss her.

And I think we all know why women want their men to be taller than themselves: to reach the stuff on the higher shelves for them.
 

Hagi

New member
Apr 10, 2011
2,741
0
0
COMaestro said:
Hagi said:
Most issues I have with height are that when I go abroad the general assumption seems to be that people stop growing after about 1.90m (6'3") or so.

I didn't... So my feet will never know the feeling of a foreign bed.

As for the whole dating thing, wouldn't really know. The vast majority of women seem to like taller men and I've never met a woman shorter than me after leaving high school.
Wait...you're 6'3" or so, but you've never met a woman shorter than you?? Where the hell are you living that the only women around are all giants??

OT: I'm about 6'2" and have only dated women shorter than me, but that's just because they happened to be shorter than me and not any preference. Honestly, I wish my wife was a bit taller or I was a bit shorter so I wouldn't have to lean down so far to kiss her.

And I think we all know why women want their men to be taller than themselves: to reach the stuff on the higher shelves for them.
Whoops... Typo. I meant never met a woman taller than me :p

And I'm 6'8". But most countries seem to be designed around people of 6'3" max.
 

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
807
0
0
As a 6' gal, I'm so glad that lesbian dating doesn't really have these issues. ;)

That said, there are plenty of times when guys bought me drinks in straight bars and then looked at me in horror when I stood up on my heel-clad feet and was 6 or 7 (or more) inches taller than them. Obviously I can't speak from experience, but it seems to me that those guys take themselves out of the dating pool, because while height discrimination IS a real thing to which some women subscribe, those guys' insecurities may preclude their meeting a women to whom height differences don't matter.
 

Callate

New member
Dec 5, 2008
5,118
0
0
Well, I can only observe this:

I am 5'10". My wife is the same height that I am.

But- when height comes up, she says that she's between half an inch and an inch shorter than I am.

This is demonstrably not true, not that I've ever felt a need to demonstrate it. But for whatever reason, it's important for her in some way to believe that I'm taller than she is.
 

Riot3000

New member
Oct 7, 2013
220
0
0
Yeah pretty much your being transparent to say it does not.

I mean preferences and all that blah blah that is conversation goes no where and has been done to death.

As for short man complex I see tall dudes as the equivalent of the hot chick. Where guys unfortunately will downplay and deal with more crap if the chick is hot women do it to with tall guys being the hot chick in the situation.
 

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
821
0
0
I can get kind of weird about height too and I have this annoying habit of easily disrespecting people if they're dicks to me AND shorter than me.

I'm not even that tall, it's just that I'm around 60 percent leg so people THINK I'm tall (I'm about 5'11"). I don't usually judge dating qualities when it comes to height (I don't think I've dated someone taller than me, yet) but I'm curious about phrases like "looking up into his eyes" and "reaching up to hold his head in my hands fondly" when... I end up looking slightly down at everyone I know. Maybe I just know too many short people. I'd like to maybe date someone taller than me one of these days, but then again, I'm not really part of the dating scene right now.

But yeah, if you're shorter than me and you're a douche canoe, you can bet your short 'lil ass that I won't listen to a WORD you say, regardless of how old you are. If you're taller, then you got lucky because I won't usually mess with someone much taller than me.
 

Parasondox

New member
Jun 15, 2013
3,229
0
0
All add my piece. Height doesn't matter to me as my previous partner was 5ft4 and I am 6ft4. A whole foot yes and she really did love my height. Especially when she had to stand on something high just to kiss me. Everyone around us found it cute. Very tall guy and shorter girl as the normal feel to it with some people.