Does it piss you off when people text at a movie theater?

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Psykoma said:
HardkorSB said:
Why do you even care?
If it's on silent and they're not making calls then it's OK. Other people eating pop corn is more distracting.

Here's a really handy tip:
Don't look at other people, look at the screen.
Some people have peripheral vision.

OP: If they have a backlit screen and there's sound, then it's annoying and disrespectful. Otherwise I don't care.
Another tip:
Don't sit at the back. Sit in the middle or closer to the front. That way you'll have to look straight, even a bit up (if you're more in front) and you won't see the lights of the phones.
Also, if a tiny light can ruin a movie experience for you, the cinema isn't for you.
I never sit in the back.
Something doesn't have to ruin the movies to diminish them.

Seriously, some of these phones are like flashlights turning on in the theatre.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
Once or twice I can ignore.

But if it is frequently happening, then I get annoyed, and that's only if I see it (i.e. it's directly between me and the screen).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
it pisses me off when people text in my presance..even when it reasonable it still pisses me off

"like Im too cool for you so Im going to text because of my CRAZY social life and all"

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
The theaters I go to are never pitch black anyways, so as long as it's quiet I don't really mind

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I'm blatantly immune to light pollution and most people text silently or quietly, it really isn't a problem for me.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Not particularly, as long as they don't have any sound on or full screen brightness or do nothing the entire movie but send texts. Keep it civil and at least try not to bother others, and it's cool

jackpackage200 said:
We spent 30 min arguing this in my ethics course today. Some of my fellow students felt that it was justified because they have social lives that are more important than being respectful to other movie-goers.

I agree with your idea of what the punishment should be
To those entitled shits I'd say I feel smashing their faces in after the movie to feel better is more important than their social life.

Damn it, it's late and I didn't phrase that right. All I'm trying to say is that if you don't care about being respectful, don't be surprised when someone pisses in your coat pocket while you are enjoying your texts.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
BloatedGuppy said:
Is there really even a reason to ask this? The answer is obviously yes.

If you text in a movie theater you should be dragged naked by your genitals across a field of broken glass.
That was a bit... Kaiden, you got this...

EDIT: Stupid timed link isn't working :(

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Texting in general is annoying.
I saw a group of highschoolers or whatever all on their phones texting a year or so ago at a restaurant table. Sooo why bother hanging out if you're going to txt and that's it?

During hangouts, playing a co-op shooter, pause txt, play, pause, txt.
"Something going on?"
"Nah just bullshitting with a friend"
"Why not invite him over?"
"Nah he's annoying"

....:| ....>:U

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
No why should it? If i am paying more attention to what people are doing around me than i am to the film then it's obviously not a good film. Also phone back lighting is not brighter than the film projectors so if your complaining about the glow being distracting then a pro tip would be, watch the damn film not the dudes around you.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
If the film is so boring you need to text to keep yourself entertained, get the fuck out of the theater. It is really as simple as that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
BRIGHT LIGHTS

In a dark room, bright lights are VERY irritating. I nearly slapped someone's hand over it once, but he shut the phone and didn't take it out again.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I honestly rarely notice and even when I don't mind because I don't feel like it's distracting me from the movie the way, say, a ringtone going off would.

jackpackage200 said:
We spent 30 min arguing this in my ethics course today. Some of my fellow students felt that it was justified because they have social lives that are more important than being respectful to other movie-goers.

I agree with your idea of what the punishment should be
That makes no sense, why are they spending their time watching a "less important" movie when they have socializing to do then?

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
just got a new job at a cinema, when we do screen checks it's down to our own discretion with what we do with phone users, some people ignore it, oters only interfere if the offender is talking on the phone, I however don't stand for it, you're in a cinema, phones off! I've only been there a few weeks and already I've had two people removed from the films because of repeated phone usaage

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
The policy I adopt at the theater is that it's ok to text as long as I'm not bothering anybody. Mind you, I always sit at the back of the theater and have rarely ever texted at any time that isn't the previews or credits.

So yeah. Just as long as you aren't bothering anyone, it's ok, but if anyone is bothered, you can't do it. Even if you're sitting in the back row, if some guy sitting in the front somehow gets irritated, you shouldn't do it. Oh, and calling is unacceptable at any time.

I hope that doesn't disqualify me from saying that I can't stand it when people in front of me pull out their phone during the film and text without any attempt to block the light, as if they're the only one in the cinema. Also, don't even get me started on when I hear someone's alert tone go off in the theater.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
It's a case by case thing.

If they can do it quietly, discretely and hopefully infrequently, all the power to them.

But, if they have a very bright screen and they don't attempt to cover it, it may draw my attention and piss me off. Especially if the current scene is darkly lit. That shit sticks out like a sore thumb. Thanks for breaking my immersion, jerk!

Though it's not nearly as rude as texting someone regularly when in the presence of others. It makes me wonder why I socialize with people like that at all.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Unless they make so much noise I actually hear them, I don't really mind. Clapping however...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can only really see one instance when it's alright to text during a movie in theater and that would be if the theater is on fire and there is no way out. Even then I'd rather die in silence watching the movie hoping the CO2 doesn't kill me until the credits.