Does it piss you off when people text at a movie theater?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nouw said:
Personally I find it incredibly off-putting. I'm watching a film and something dramatic happens. I watch it and take in the emotions and etc. Then suddenly the audience claps. It completely breaks my attention and 'immersion?'[sub]right word?[/sub] into the film.
What about "OOOOOOs" and laughter? I mean, there are other responses in a movie theater. I'm not trying to bust your hump, just curious as to why clapping particularly. I'd think laughter would have the same effect. Especially inappropriate anger as below.

It can sometimes be a little twisted too. The people watching the Hunger Games in my theatre clapped when a 'bad tribute' died. I suppose that's the film's fault for not portraying it's message well enough. If that was even the message >.>. I just see it as really rude to make loud noises while other people want to watch the film in quiet.
Can't talk about hunger games, but have you ever seen the Condemned (A Running Man ripoff featuring Stone Cold Steve Austin)? The film was pitched to the audience as a violent action film where people will die. After one guy dies, a reporter poses a question to the audience: Are we the condemned?

Theater burst out laughing. It's just so poorly placed and rather stupid.

Now, there's people who laugh at inappropriate times, and Moviebob talked faux-jaded kids effectively heckling movies, but sometimes it's a reaction to a terrible movie.

Actually, that's personally one of the things I like about going to a movie theater. The live interaction, minus people just being dicks. And sometimes, you're glad to see someone out of the picture because they're horrible for one reason or another. Poorly written, contrived, etc. I don't know, again, about the Hunger Games, so I don't know the context. Planned on reading the books first. Still haven't got to it.

But another example: Spider-Man 3. Emo Parker. 'Nuff said.

But that's just me. I like live responses, being around people when I watch a movie. It's more exciting or something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Use_Imagination_here said:
Movies last quite a long time, and sometimes you can't wait quite a long time to say what you have to say or hear what someone alse has to say.
Then step out of the damn theater.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
What about "OOOOOOs" and laughter? I mean, there are other responses in a movie theater. I'm not trying to bust your hump, just curious as to why clapping particularly. I'd think laughter would have the same effect. Especially inappropriate anger as below.
I suppose I can forgive laughter because it can be sometimes uncontrollable. It's a funny scene, go ahead laugh. I haven't really experienced inappropriate laughter so there's another reason but I'm assuming it's annoying as hell.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Can't talk about hunger games, but have you ever seen the Condemned (A Running Man ripoff featuring Stone Cold Steve Austin)? The film was pitched to the audience as a violent action film where people will die. After one guy dies, a reporter poses a question to the audience: Are we the condemned?

Theater burst out laughing. It's just so poorly placed and rather stupid.

Now, there's people who laugh at inappropriate times, and Moviebob talked faux-jaded kids effectively heckling movies, but sometimes it's a reaction to a terrible movie.

Actually, that's personally one of the things I like about going to a movie theater. The live interaction, minus people just being dicks. And sometimes, you're glad to see someone out of the picture because they're horrible for one reason or another. Poorly written, contrived, etc. I don't know, again, about the Hunger Games, so I don't know the context. Planned on reading the books first. Still haven't got to it.

But another example: Spider-Man 3. Emo Parker. 'Nuff said.

But that's just me. I like live responses, being around people when I watch a movie. It's more exciting or something.
No I haven't seen it but I can imagine. I suppose it's all about finding the right film and time. While there are some films which can split the audience into loving/hating the film, a film like Spider-Man 3 with a scene like Emo Parker is obviously going to be taken as a joke by everyone.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
People get upset if you text during movies just because of the backlight?

Huh...I had no idea. I guess from now on I will keep it in my pants ;)