Does me enjoying Call of Jaurez: The Cartel make me racist?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
ABLb0y said:
Ok, so I was watching Extra Credit's video on Racism in Call of Jaurez: The Cartel, and it got me feeling quite bad about myself. Why? Because I enjoyed the game. I mean, I know the whole thing about Mexicans kidnapping American women is bullshit, but does me actually having fun playing it make me a bad person?
Does enjoying a racist game make you a racist? Good question. Let me ask you another.

Does laughing at a racist joke make you a racist?

Because if the answer to both is the same. And I'm honestly not sure which answer it is.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
PatrickXD said:
Does having fun with friends playing Rapelay make me a rapist?
No.
Not the same thing.

Being a racist is a mental thing - it happens inside one's head.

Being a rapist requires a physical act - that of raping someone.

You could WANT to rape someone, but never do it.

However, if you believe racist things in your head, but never act on them, then you're still a racist.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I kind of liked the song 'stuck in the middle', so I obviously have a craving to cut off an innocent policeman's ear and then cover him in petrol and set him on fire while he pleads to be released because he knows nothing and has a wife and kids. So of course you're racist, you horrible person.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yes, it makes you racist. Didn't you hear? Playing video games can ruin people. You're lucky it didn't made you into a serial killer.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I think EC is missing the line between things the devs intentionally included and things that can have meaning read into them. Again.
intheweeds said:
PatrickXD said:
No.
No. It doesn't specifically, but that is on another level. It isn't a game with a few rape scenes here and there. It is ALL about raping women and nothing else. No, it doesn't make you a rapist unless you actually rape someone, but the fact that you can play it with your friends and not feel disgusted the whole time is telling about your views on women, and sexual violence.
Depends. Perhaps he, like most people, can tell the difference between an invented fantasy and reality. Moral and social views can be cast aside to enjoy a game without throwing them out the window in reality too. Is running people over in GTA 'telling' about my views on the value of human life and random murder? No? Then what makes rape different?

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Father Time said:
TheJesus89 said:
Extra Credits is shoved so far up its own ass it can lick its own bowels.

They are not the final word on what is and isn't okay in the video game industry. Don't let those pretentious assholes tell you how you should feel about the game.
All they said was that the game was racist, they didn't say people should feel bad for playing it.
Yes, this.

Why are people blaming Extra Credits for people misunderstanding them? It isn't as though they were unclear.

If you dislike Extra Credits, great...good for you, I doubt many care (unless you have an actual reasoned point, in which case it'd be interesting to listen.). But to pretend they come close to thinking they are 'the final word on what is and isn't okay' is bullshit. They voice their thoughts, and that particular episode was impassioned, but not tyrannical. If you disagree with what they said, engage with it or shut up about it.

Again, if you don't like them, fine. But don't pretend they're trying to conquer your thoughts. It makes you look like an ass. Oh and look up 'pretentious'; I don't think that word means what you think it means.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
LordFisheh said:
I think EC is missing the line between things the devs intentionally included and things that can have meaning read into them. Again.
intheweeds said:
PatrickXD said:
No.
No. It doesn't specifically, but that is on another level. It isn't a game with a few rape scenes here and there. It is ALL about raping women and nothing else. No, it doesn't make you a rapist unless you actually rape someone, but the fact that you can play it with your friends and not feel disgusted the whole time is telling about your views on women, and sexual violence.
Depends. Perhaps he, like most people, can tell the difference between an invented fantasy and reality. Moral and social views can be cast aside to enjoy a game without throwing them out the window in reality too. Is running people over in GTA 'telling' about my views on the value of human life and random murder? No? Then what makes rape different?
TO ME (i specify), the difference is this: both call of Jarez and GTA are games with many facets, some of which are offensive. GTA is not a supposed to be a 'prostitute killing simulator' and Call of Jarez is not a 'racism trainer'. You can play both of these games and ignore the stuff that might bother you.

Rapelay, however is only one thing: a rape simulator. That's it, that's all. You cannot play it for the other stuff and ignore the rape. There is no 'other stuff'. That is literally ALL it is.

Agreed completely about EC by the way. :)

Edit: If he spent ALL his GTA time, killing prostitutes with his friends and nothing else, I would say the same. Why does it not disturb him? The fact that he apparently enjoys playing a game that is nothing but rape is what i commented on. The fact that rather than be disturbed after a while, he apparently enjoys it and plays with friends. Having nothing but rape in his face over and over again is 'fun' for him. I would say the same if he played GTA just for the prostitute killing.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
No, that's like saying because I enjoy FPS games that I'm some sort of mass murderer... which I'm not... *nervous eye darting*

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Nope.

"Bad" person = someone who naturally or at least habitually does bad things.

If you like "bad" games/movies/books/poems/works of fiction that make most people lose faith in mankind or games someone labels as being racist and worthy of being burned, you're probably doing the right thing by checking it out before insta-hating it.

Sometimes, you'll find yourself knee-deep in crap, sometimes you'll actually like what someone else plain hates. Technically, the first "Juarez" title showed me I probably need a new PC soon. The second one I didn't like. The Cartel, I think I chose to ignore because I really, really dislike cartels.

Most of the time, my personal taste conforms with what a lot of others have to say about games. I felt hugely let down by Duke Nukem Forever. I hated Dragon Age II, still do. But then again, I have absolutely no clue what's so great about Mass Effect, and I still like the trip I had with Jericho, even though the game had me rage-quitting at least a dozen times. But then again, I also liked Fallout 3, even though I have little sympathy for Bethesda, and of the gadzillion bugs and hiccups and freezes the game threw in my face only two were sort of funny. All these games (and a lot more, to be honest) could be called racist or otherwise wrong if we oversimplify or project too much of our own crap into them. Thing is, in 2011, it's highly improbable (or at least very, very rare) to find real, proper, intended racism in a mass-marketed piece of consumable. Most stories written and made available in an interactive manner will have a look at the real bad guys out there, in the real world. People who do bad things in an organized manner, such as manufacturing, trafficking and selling drugs or enslaving/impregnating/killing/devouring mostly innocent creatures (including American women) clearly qualify as bad persons, be they real of fictional.

Extra Credits had me entertained for a while, but I never agreed with it as I do with, say, Zero Punctuation or the Honourable Reverend Jim, Esq. EC just doesn't go down well with the me-crowd. And the smurf-voice has lost its charm very easily, especially once you have the Audacity to listen to it in re-naturalized form. Just not my cup of tea.

If someone calls you a racist, a punk or a creep, there's always the chance that, in fact, you are just that. Most of the time, though, they have no clue about what they're talking about. Annoying and murderous pricks come from any race/creed/culture available, I would be rather bored by only being served evil white men as bad guys in games for the rest of my consumerist escapist life.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
I think if you understand the difference between the real world and fiction, and don't base your world view on the games than you aren't racist. I mean really im sure we all enjoy something that re-enforces negative stereotypes, in fact i bet there is very little in media that does not in some way.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Do you hate people of a different ethnicity to yourself?

No? - Congratulations, you aren't racist.

I think people have been taking that episode of Extra Credits the wrong way, they never said people who play and enjoy the game are racist, just that the developers unwittingly added racial prejudices to the game.

I also disagree on the entire idea that because one game has racial prejudices it can cause another person to also have those same prejudices.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Does playing Defcon mean I want to nuke the Russians and Chinese, only to have the entire world go up in flames while my colleagues slowly die of radiation sickness? (or maybe they're crying, could never figure out what that sound was in the background when the nukes went off)

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Quazimofo said:
ThreeWords said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Does enjoying Total War's battles make me genocidal?
No, but exterminating the population of captured cities afterwards is a good reason to prevent you from entering the next elections.
but what if i am poor and need the moniez? plus, in Rome and Medieval 2, population can be a bit of a pain in the ass until you have some absolutely smexy infrastructure, so occasionally you do need to wipe out a city. it makes the survivors that much happier! (and can get some nice exp bonuses for your units/generals, should you manage the battle against the rebels well)
Of course it's good sense, but what I'm saying is that having that attitude won't get you elected by any democratic process

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Blind Sight said:
Does playing Defcon mean I want to nuke the Russians and Chinese, only to have the entire world go up in flames while my colleagues slowly die of radiation sickness? (or maybe they're crying, could never figure out what that sound was in the background when the nukes went off)
Does Defcon have a subplot about the Chinese "steeling r wimmin?"

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Racist, absolutely not.

It's a video game. Don't take things seriously in games. If we did we would all be hunting down zombies while mugging old people and stealing cars to run over pedestrians .... or basically we would all be from Manchester (joke you lovely Mancunians).

What it does make you is silly for taking the opinion of the people on EC seriously.

Preachy set of tools if you ask me.

Never liked them though.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
ABLb0y said:
Ok, so I was watching Extra Credit's video on Racism in Call of Jaurez: The Cartel, and it got me feeling quite bad about myself. Why? Because I enjoyed the game. I mean, I know the whole thing about Mexicans kidnapping American women is bullshit, but does me actually having fun playing it make me a bad person?
No, just the developers.