does the Escapist name their systems/PC,s

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
My laptop's name is HALberd. I like the little nod to HAL from 2001 and I like halberds (because they are cool), so it fits all the criteria to be a nerdy computer.

Jehovatron

Feb 22, 2009
My functional computers are named as follows:
Jehovatron III (my primary system inherits the title of the God-king made machine. Clearly, this is His third incarnation.)
Lincoln Osiris (Tropic Thunder)
B00b13dr46oN (Retarded Animal Babies)
Liberated Wommon (because I liberated it from my parents and gave it the most horrible wallpaper known to man)
Motoko (Ghost in the shell. Also, Jehovatron III's doppleganger and my fiance's main system.)
Dellenn (it's a Dell laptop and I'm paying homage to Babylon 5)
Xenomorph (huge, black, and Aliens. Oh, and it's an Alienware)
and Jules Winnfield (because Pulp Fiction)

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I have a Macbook called "Golden Delicious 4021" because of a small sticky that my GF scratched from apple in grocery store and slapped it on my monitor.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I name our devices for network purposes. Our network is called Galker because it's a portmanteau of my/my wife's surnames. We used to name our computers after Happy Tree Friends characters - our PC was called Cuddles, our laptop was called Flippy, when our PC died we got a new one and called it Giggles.

However the laptop is retired and Giggles died a couple of years ago - we haven't given special names to our new PC or our netbook.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
my computer is called my computer, my laptop is called my laptop, my nas is called nas and so on.. So no I do no name my systems

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
my big old portable harddrive is called larry because every time i think about it. it makes me smile

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
My current laptop is called ALVIN, because it's red and tends to be good at showing off. I also yell at it when it gets obnoxious or non-responsive.

I think the name's appropriate.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I call my computer Charlene, but it was one of my friends who named it that after the gun from Full Metal Jacket.
It's not its name in the network though.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
my laptop is Vessini,

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

(when my sister was writing her final dissertation for college her computer broke, so I lent her my laptop, at which point I named it and created her own sign in so she couldn't look at my gear, or play then games on it!)

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
No one's called their computer GLaDOS? I am ashamed of you all. But yeah, take a wild guess what my computer's called? My phone and iPod are both closely related to my computer...

Here's a hint, it's not single player related.

Thinking about it, I need a companion cube shaped portable hard drive...

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Mine is called GLaDOS :3 I downloaded her quotes and replaced all windows sound files with them :3 like "file deleted" "what a horrible little machines" "welcome back, testing is available" and so on. it's pretty awesome

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Sonicron said:
TimeLord said:
I named my router 'Skynet' on my laptop.

I enjoy tempting fate.
Same here. High five! :D

Also, my PC is named 'Mechanicum'.
Could be a self-fulfilling prophecy - maybe some nutcases will find this rig a few millennia down the line and base a religion around it. Heh.
Why not "Omnissiah"?

Or "Void Dragon". Then they can bury it under Mars and gain all it's technology from accessing the inbuilt wi-fi!

SFMB

May 13, 2009
My Wlan-network is called "EnlargeYourPenis"... Sadly, I encrypted it. Would have been nice to see, how many people are willing to use something named like that for "free"...

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
darksuccubus said:
Mine is called GLaDOS :3 I downloaded her quotes and replaced all windows sound files with them :3 like "file deleted" "what a horrible little machines" "welcome back, testing is available" and so on. it's pretty awesome
Wait shit you can do that? Can you point me at a tutorial? Or even just tell me where to get the files and the basics?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
TimeLord said:
Sonicron said:
TimeLord said:
I named my router 'Skynet' on my laptop.

I enjoy tempting fate.
Same here. High five! :D

Also, my PC is named 'Mechanicum'.
Could be a self-fulfilling prophecy - maybe some nutcases will find this rig a few millennia down the line and base a religion around it. Heh.
Why not "Omnissiah"?

Or "Void Dragon". Then they can bury it under Mars and gain all it's technology from accessing the inbuilt wi-fi!
Not a bad idea, the latter one.
I wonder - if I were to rename my system thus, would the inside of my rig spontaneously develop impossible, insanity-inducing geometry?