Does the LGB community hate transexuals?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
And the T, quite frequently, is considered silent.

Then again, the B is fairly unliked, too.
I don't really know that many Gay people, but I really think that out of everyone else in the world, they wouldn't be that intolerant.
You'd think so, yeah. Though, it's not fair to speak of the LGBT community as a monolithic whole, they have their divisions same as everyone else.

But, members of persecuted group X don't always look at members of persecuted group Y and say "Hey, the system fucks us both over, we should work together". They all too often tell those fucking disgusting Ys to shut up, whilst (truthfully) saying that X being oppressed is unfair.

There is a lot of hatred for bisexuals from homosexuals, likewise with transexuals. While we are at it, the gay community is also dominated by able bodied white guys.

Similarly, the feminist community is dominated by able bodied white women, and they fight amongst themselves over whether or not MtF transexuals should count as women.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Talking as a lesbian, people are people.

There is not one big LGBT community who all get along, at most they are a group of people who share certain interests, but it's not like they are all alike.

Just like we are all gamers on this forum, and share the some same interests, but obviously are a collection of very different people.

The only 'LGBT community' I hang out with is the sort of discussion/support group in our university for gays, lesbians, transsexuals, whoever, and they are generally very nice people who are very accepting of people.

I do know there is supposedly some negativeness towards bisexuals among some lesbian people, as they are viewed as just looking for sex and not commitment and just experimenting.

Also, identifying as bisexual has become more common among young people as of late, and not everyone takes them that seriously.

When you are still growing up, you might not really know what you are attracted to, and several gay people I know have gone through a phase where they thought they were bi before fully accepting they weren't really attracted to the opposite sex.

So that might affect the attitudes.

I personally think some people who call themselves bisexual will change their views later on in life when they actually figure out what they are about.
But I'm not going to define anyone's sexuality for them on an individual basis.

Suikun

Mar 25, 2009
I'm pretty damn gay with a lot of gay, lesbian, bi, and transgender friends. I've never heard in my life a gay person I know personally that's hateful of any of the others. Sure we poke fun at one another (teasing bisexuals because they like both for example) but it's all in good fun and often is a known thing to reciprocate the joke (often I get teased back that I'm too picky).

And to be perfectly honest; the whole thing with NPH sounds like an overblown faux pas that I'll admit I didn't know was offensive at all. None of my transgender friends have ever felt offended when the word was spoken, and (personal opinion) it doesn't even seem mildly derogatory... perhaps I just don't see it from my pseudo-outsider point of reference.

As for the T of LGBT; They're great people regardless of their sexual preference or gender... uh... bias? (Not completely sure how to word that without potentially offending someone) I don't think it matters what you are, only who you are.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Some people are dicks, although grouping people into the LGBT community and assuming they've got more in common than just being not-heterosexual is a mistake. So yeah, some do probably.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Volf99 said:
Now that you bring it up, my friend (who is gay) did say how he thought how Bisexual people were "confused" (meaning they don't know if their hetero or homosexual) and how it wasn't a real form of sexuality, which made me think "wtf?".
Dan Savage is a pretty good example, since he was already brought up in the original post. He's been fairly dismissive of bisexuality as a waystation.

JoesshittyOs said:
I don't really know that many Gay people, but I really think that out of everyone else in the world, they wouldn't be that intolerant.
Minorities have the flaw of being people. People tend to be intolerant in high numbers. Frequently, when we preach for tolerance, we preach for tolerance for ourselves and our ideas, not others.

It's nice when you find people who are actually tolerant or accepting of large swathes, but that is not the universal standard. Just like heterosexuals frequently can't understand homosexuals, bisexuals are frequently treated as "confused," or "in hiding" or "delusional" by homosexuals.

Universally? No. But it comes to "I don't understand it; it isn't real/right."

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Harbinger_ said:
Not sure if you were suggesting I was homophobic with that, it's hard to tell certain things on the internet.
Nope, not at all. Only the first line of my reply was really aimed at you, the next two paragraphs were my response to the thread discussion.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Lieju said:
I do know there is supposedly some negativeness towards bisexuals among some lesbian people, as they are viewed as just looking for sex and not commitment and just experimenting.
A little bit here and there,

There's also usually a little bit of negativity towards MtFs who identify as lesbians.

I wouldn't go so far as to call this discrimination. Most people who come out with this stuff will not tell someone to get away from them because they're bisexual or MtF (I can think of a couple of exceptions, but you always can) they just don't want to sleep with them.

And really, how many heterosexuals would be comfortable sleeping with someone who was born a man (and who quite possibly still had male genitals) simply because their identification says otherwise? It's a heartbreaking problem, but I don't think you can expect gay people to somehow be immune to it. People are not obligated to distribute sexual favours freely and equally.

By my observation, one potential problem which seems to crop up fairly frequently is that bisexual women tend to outnumber lesbian women at their own events and clubs and basically swamp them, occasionally in slightly insensitive ways. A lot of lesbian clubs now bar men from entering altogether because of people bringing their male partners or cruising. Certain bi women also tend to model relationships and sexual encounters along very heterosexual lines. It bothers some lesbians I know, but I don't think any of them would take it as a universal trait. They just find it annoying.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Bhaalspawn said:
You what I'm more concerned about? Asexuality never comes up. People who aren't sexually attracted to either gender. Pansexuality and Demisexuality are the same way. I'm tired of gays getting all the freaking spotlight, frankly.
It does come up, just like intersexuality, which you missed out. You can lengthen the acronym, it's not seen as a perversion or a watering down, it just gets a little unwieldy. LGBTAIPDFQ is hard to remember. Every so often every LGBT soc gets some troll wanting to add an S for 'straight', and while normally rejected it's always debated.

I think we're ultimately going to see the LGBT/pride/gay liberation movements replaced with a more queer political term, but that kind of relies on the general public being able to recognize what it means. Right now, that's not really feasable.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Mmm troubled

Trans are indeed not as warmly hugged within the LGBT. But I think it is improving and that in time people can see that working together is better.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
You what I'm more concerned about? Asexuality never comes up. People who aren't sexually attracted to either gender. Pansexuality and Demisexuality are the same way. I'm tired of gays getting all the freaking spotlight, frankly.
what is demisexuality?

jesskit

Jan 22, 2011
Even within the LGBT communities there is a lot of missunderstanding between LGB and T. For instance many gay people are so happy to be out and people know they are gay etc, and cant understand why a trans person would not want people to know. There is also the issue that being trans has nothing to do with who you like. I guess it just comes down to not dislike but misunderstanding. It seems even our closest supporters dont understand trans people, let alone the rest of the world

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Are there transphobic individuals? Yes. Are there people within the LGBTQ community who embrace them with all their heart? Yes.
The same can be said for (especially male) bisexuals.
Every member in the LGBTQ community is still a human and can be filled with ignorance and hate too.
Just don't lump all members together. While it is a problem (that NEEDS to be fixed), not everyone has that transphobia.
I think it may have to do with a lack of knowledge on the part of a non-trans person (it can be hard to place yourself in someone else's shoes) and an uncomfortableness in educating themselves.
I have some great trans friends and it bothers me when people have a problem with it.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Volf99 said:
what is demisexuality
People who don't become sexually attracted to someone at all until they form a strong emotional connection to them, and then only specifically to that person. So functionally asexual apart from with very specific people.

Personally, I'm not sure people who identify as such actually need the "LGBT community" or what it can do for them, but if they feel they do that's what it's there for.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
The gay community that calls themselves as such are often as bigoted and intolerant as anyone else. Kinda stems from the need to categorize oneself and "fit in" with a stereotype, no matter who the group is. That said, the random gay people (that is, the ones that don't identify as part of the "gay community") I know and have encountered don't seem to have any problem with transsexuals.

I personally haven't a thing against them myself, and on a somewhat related note, find people who can convincingly pose as the other gender fascinating; I find males that can reasonably pass as females to be especially adorable - I mean that in the least demeaning way possible, by the way. Don't have a lot of patience for the "not happy with my life/self so OH MAN I MUST BE THE OTHER GENDER" phase a lot of introverted teenagers go through, though.

And on a barely related note that runs the risk of my going off on a rant as well as inspiring others to, I also can't stand the need to come up with all of the "super category" sexuality bullshit. Pansexuality, trisexuality, and other such nonsense make me want to put my head through a wall. Stop trying so hard to find out where you fit in (or make it up when that fails) and just bang (or don't bang) who you want, good god. I also don't understand the obsession with bringing attention to asexuality (as well as the ones that feel the need to remind us that's how they identify every third second; you know who you are); isn't half the freaking point that you're beyond such things anyway? Why care if anyone's aware of it, besides? Can't you just not be interested in sex and that be the end of it? Must we be so pointlessly complicated about everything?!

No! Back, you unruly monster! Alright, rant passed. For now.

jesskit

Jan 22, 2011
Also I have to say I personally have been on the receiving end of some less that positive comments from the wider lgb community. Often from people who do not understand or cant comprehend that someone does not feel right in themselves and feels with gender is opposite to their birth sex. Often there are comments such as just be a crossdresser u dont need to chop things off, or why would u want to make ur self a freak. yeah it gets hurtful at times but really its because they dont understand and are stuck in their own little world.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Daddy Go Bot said:
Like so many other communities out there, LGBT communities are circle jerks of intolerance, so why anyone outside of these communities would give a shit is a bit beyond me.
This, and if you replace LGBT with almost anything it will still be true.
Don't ever assume that this community is any different from all of the other communities. There are nice people, idiots, and people with their head so far up their own arse that they can't tell why people aren't exactly the same as them. People shouldn't assume that only straight people can insult the other sexualities, they all do it. I don't see why we should keep dwelling on it. Let them sort out what they want to do and who they want to segregate themselves from.
I prefer to consider sexuality a matter of whether or not you are attracted to any single person. The more groups we define ourselves with, the more chances there are for segregation, discrimination, and prejudice. Not just towards the group, either. Stuff like Feminism and 'Sexual Pride' usually end pretty badly.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Afterthought: A lot of transsexuals would have it easier if they didn't run around yelling "WHOO I'M A TRANSSEXUAL", much like many gay people would. I can sympathize with it being exciting to come to the realization, but the more you present it as unusual and strange (which is what you're doing by calling attention to it, whether you realize it or not), the more willing people will be to see it as such. Just throwing that out there. Feel free to replace "transsexual" with any unusual lifestyle, by the way. Works just as well.

Of course, it's entirely possible to bring it up naturally and without awkwardness... when it's topical or relevant. Finesse is a necessary skill in all things social, you know.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Volf99 said:
Bhaalspawn said:
what is demisexuality
In lamens terms, you can't get it up, unless you're in love with the other person.

Yeah, that's an actual sexuality.
....lol, I'm calling bulls*it on that. Seriously, that just sounds like a emotional response to somebody thats been burned by past relationships