Does the resolution and framerate matter to you as a gamer?

seris

Oct 14, 2013
Of course it matters. If you dont have a high resolution everything looks pixelated at a distance. If your running at 30 fps its playable but frustrating. For me 60+ fps is the best

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
At least 50 fps for combat, 25 fps for casual walking around; but I prefer 50+ in all places. Preferably 1920x1200 because anything else will cause the monitor to act weird, but I can take 1600x900 if I can make it windowed.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Higher resolution can look nicer but it's not really crucial. I would compromise to get better gameplay out of the game. And stable framerate is much more important than number of frames. 30 is plenty except for games there sense of speed or wild turns are regular occurrence. So, twitch shooters and driving games (especially simulations, arcade ones give much more headroom for mistakes) are prime candidates for 60fps target. Other games, not to much.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I think aspect ratio can play a bigger part, but resolution is definitely still important for me.

It really bothers me if things look really blown out and unclear, so resolution is importanto. Although it can depend on the game, some of which I play windowed - then these things play less of a part, such as when I'm playing Hearthstone or something else casually when I'm watching videos on my computer.

FPS is less so important to me. It's always a nice stat to see how your computer is doing. But I'm not one to be arguing over the need to have a certain level of FPS, in order to not be enraged. As long as there isn't a noticeable issue, I will be fine.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, of course. 60 fps should be the standard in videogames, and 720p resolution is starting to look really bad on big televisions. 1080p should be a minimum, with 4k quickly becoming the norm for games on PC at least. Consoles are able to have a little slack since they are usually under powered, but games should really be at least 30 fps constant, not hitting 30 when you're looking at an empty wall in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not going to drop money on garbage. Paying for anything else is just allowing them to get away with a badly optimized game, like Watch Dogs on PC.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Resolution, no resolution doesn't matter to me at all in the grand scheme. Only time it matters is when the way the game looks gives me a literal headache, and the only games I've played that have done that off the top of my head are Superman 64, Sonic Genesis for the GBA, and Yoshi's New Island on the 3DS. Other than that, I record LPs on older consoles so I'm used to 240p all the way up to 1080p, although I usually just record and render at 720p. For frame rate, I don't give two shits if it's 30 fps or 60 fps, it just needs to be consistent sudden dips and drops to low frame rate is noticeable to anyone, while there are some who have difficulties telling 30 fps from 60 fps. I know 60 fps is better, but just because a game is at 30 doesn't mean it's unplayable and doesn't matter to me at all. However, a game whose frame rate jumps and jitters can actually be unplayable, see Sonic Genesis for the GBA and Superman 64 for this as well.

Hell if your recording and rendering gameplay at 60 fps and uploading it to YouTube then you're wasting space since YouTube only supports 30 fps at max.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Obviously it matters, since without resolution or frame rate you wouldn't have a game.

I'm not a stickler for high frame rate or resolution, but of course I'd rather have 60fps than 30fps, and 1080p than 720p. When a certain game in a series that has always run at 60fps suddenly drops to 30fps (Ratchet and Clank: Nexus), it becomes extremely hard for me to get used to.

In the end I'm not going to curse a game for being 720p and 30fps, but with the next generation having a very minimal graphical upgrade, one would expect a significant jump in at least one aspect of the technical performance.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Resolution's only an issue for me when the game gives me a headache (trying to play Spyro the Dragon on a new TV for example)

Framerate I like it being consistent more than anything else. Jumps and drops are what's the most irritating. I'd certainly prefer everything to be at 60fps, but I don't go in a huff if I hear a game is 30.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Resolution's only an issue for me when the game gives me a headache (trying to play Spyro the Dragon on a new TV for example)
Now do you mean playing the first Spyro off of a PS1, or off of a PS3? Mainly because I need to redo my first Spyro LP and I don't think it looks that bad in all honesty based off the footage I got my from Elgato on the PS3. Also, what kind of TV do you have?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Neronium said:
Andy Shandy said:
Now do you mean playing the first Spyro off of a PS1, or off of a PS3? Mainly because I need to redo my first Spyro LP and I don't think it looks that bad in all honesty based off the footage I got my from Elgato on the PS3. Also, what kind of TV do you have?
It was on PS3, and it's Foehn and Hirsch (yeah, I hadn't heard of them before getting the TV, either) 32" LCD HDTV.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
As long as a game runs widescreen so that I'm not getting tunnel vision I can live with it. Do like my games in it's native resolution but I cannot give 2 fucks about framerate unless it's a beat-'m-up or fighing game.

Kricketz

Apr 25, 2014
Consistency is the only important thing when in regards to frame rate. Whether it's 30 fps or 60 fps as long as it's consistent, I can deal. Don't really care too much about resolution as long as it's HD.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I normally don't mind resolution. Actually, I don't think I've played a game in recent memory where I went, "Gee, I wish it had a better resolution."

As far as frame rate goes, yes, it does matter. I can handle 30 fps in most situations, but in genres where timing and accuracy is everything, I would much rather it move up to 60+ fps, even if it requires a downgrade in graphics.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
It was on PS3, and it's Foehn and Hirsch (yeah, I hadn't heard of them before getting the TV, either) 32" LCD HDTV.
Could it be the jerky motions the first Spyro game has that could be giving you the headache? I'm honestly curious because I'm recording the game off my PS3 right now with my Elgato on my HDTV, and I've not gotten one yet. I'm usually prone to headaches as well. My TV is an Insignia, I regret it because it has no composite or S-Video inputs, 26" LCD HDTV. Maybe when I record more I'll get a headache, I'm gonna test it when I get home then...plus I sorta need to finish recording, editing, and rendering that before the 21st of June because it needs to premier that day, and I've been known to being lazy.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Resolution matters in that I can easily tell the difference between a couple step ups/down. 1080p>720p in like... any situation.
Framerate doesn't matter as much for me (60 FPS or above is preferable obviously) so long as it's stable. I can play something at 60fps, 30fps, 24fps, hell my first PC had to play with fps probably in 20-ish range but it was a stable number. If it fluctuates it fucks up my brain.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I'd rather have a game run smoothly at a lower resolution than choppy at a higher resolution. And although I was and am still disappointed that the last and current generation of supposedly HD hardware still can't measure up to the expectation of true 1080p with 60fps, I have realized that 720p with better effects can trump 1080p with less effects, if done correctly.

Also, since the original conversion to HD on the consoles, upscaling and anti-aliasing have become numerically faster and generally better looking (better and smarter algorithms). The upscaling of the Wii mode in the Wii U is a perfect example. With my Wii, I used it through my component cables on my HDTV and although it looked nice, it was still a little blurred and the upconversion software added a significant lag to the signal. I eventually bought a hardware based composite-to-HDMI adaptor and although the image quality was slightly reduced, the lag became almost none. However, when trying out the Wii U on Wii mode, the originally 480p scaled Wii menus came through super crisp (there was still a very small amount of artifacting, but only noticeable due the high contrast of the Wii menu - much less noticeable than the other upscaling). Wii games also benefit from this smarter upscaling as they end up looking like enhanced versions, even though they are merely upscaled. So even though the initial knowledge that New Super Mario U is actually rendered in 720p stung, the final product internally upscaled to 1080p looks as next gen as you can currently get.