Does the resolution and framerate matter to you as a gamer?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Yeah, it matters.

My one advantage though is that I've always used older mid-range cards so I've never experienced any game at high settings at 60 fps. Only ever medium settings at 30 fps.

But I'm very well aware that that's simply because I've never really experienced better. When I play older games or on older hardware and don't get the framerates and resolutions I'm used to, it does make the gameplay experience worse. No getting around that, game might still be very good but I at least can't deny that it would have been better at a higher resolution with a better framerate.

So I consciously stick to older mid-range cards so I don't get used to the top stuff, this means stuff keeps feeling smooth and looking good (to me) without me having to pay a LOT of money for a beast of a machine.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
You don't care that much about frame rate, unless you get used to it. Then you immediately notice the difference when it's below what you're comfortable with.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
It matters to an extent.

Like if framerate is so poor that it doesn't sync well with the sound effects of the game. (I'm looking at YOU Digital Devil Saga. Well, at least the emulated version I got from the PSN)

Otherwise, I'm fine with a somewhat lower resolution. Although I would not mind playing at a higher resolution at all.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
As a PC gamer it matters to me, of course. I think PC gaming is the format for people whom care about that kind of thing.

Consoles are find for less involved gamers whom just want to run a game, regardless of the technical quality of the game.

It's a connoisseur vs consumer argument.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well yeah to a degree, I like games to look good and play smoothly. Doesn't everyone?
I'm not obsessive about it. As I said in another thread 30 fps is what I get in a lot games cause I don't have high end computer so I'm use to it. It's not 100% ideal but I don't mind that much. So long as it's stable at 30 it's perfectly playable. Sometimes I have to play at a lower resolution to though I don't like doing this I will to get a decent frame rate.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
To a degree. Having had framerate issues with the Saints Row an Arkham series, it's no fun playing in single-digits.

Scrumpmonkey said:
Why did you buy a PS3/Xbox360?
Because they had games I wanted.

Why did you get a HD TV for that matter?
Because an LCD TV was the same cost as a similarly-sized SDTV, was more energy efficient than the SDTVs I came across, and could easily fit in my car.

If resolution and frame-rates never mattered why did they switch over the HD gaming in the first place?
That's begging the question. A lot of people bought a next-gen console and then played on a last-gen TV. Maybe you don't remember all the complaints about text that was unreadable on an SDTV, but I do. I've seen them as recently as Grand Theft Auto V. This is only an issue because people hadn't upgraded to the latest and greatest for the visuals. Even in 2013.

Mr.Tea said:
I'm getting absolutely fucking sick of the mindset that "it doesn't matter" and "it's good enough, stop complaining". 640KB of memory used to be "enough", but thank fuck the tech industry wasn't stupid enough to go "Yep, this is where we stop."
Yes, and that was born of necessity. Explain how framerate in gaming is a necessity.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Resolution/Aspect ratio for me. I have a 42' TV for my computer and consoles. Less than 720p/16:9 can look kind of pixilated. As for framerate, I don't mind my consoles being at least at 30, constant, and my PC I like at 60. My most played game on PC is Battlefield 4 and I can usually get that in the high 50s quite consistently. When recording, it drops to 30 and it is very noticeable then.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Of course framerate is important. A poor framerate can actually make the game harder to play since it gets all choppy and shit. I'm not, however, into the whole 30 vs 60 debate. As long as the game runes smooth enough to be playable, I'm fine with it. Resolution isn't a big deal to me, really, as long as I can make everything out okay. I have a widescreen moniter though, so if the game I'm playing doesn't support widescreen, it can get a little weird. Not usually an issue though.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Yes, if a game in 2014 can't maintain 1080p I'm a bit bothered. 30 FPS I'm much more lenient about, but come on, 1080p has been around for a long time. However, considering I almost entirely play on PC now, I don't really have any problems to speak of unless retro gaming, but I'm not going to chastise Fallout 1 for not having 1080p lol.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Framerate is essential. Resolution is optional.

That said, I'm running a brand-spankin' GeForce card with a paltry 1920x1080 monitor. Load up BioShock Infinite, turn the settings way up, the card purrs like a contented cat and crushes it. I'd rather have silky-smooth rendering with dynamic shaders or whatever at a smaller rez than see it struggle with some giant 3500-width monitor.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
of coarse its important me...

but you know what my problem with this is?

its not so much that I care when people play in shitty resolutions or framrates....but what matters to me is willful ignorance and misinformation

there is a difference between 30FPS and 60FPS most who experience it can tell you, the problem is saying its for "artistic" reasons is BULLSHIT, bullshit of the highest order that people will spew so they feel validated in the framrates their systm can pull

the same thing...saying that 720p isn't any different to 1080p or that its a "style" choice...NOOOOOO, stop bullshitting and be honest

BLU-ray does look better than DVD and if you don't care thats great but don't pick up a duck and tell me its a goose

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
For me and my gaming habits framerate is king. Anything under 60 frames per second in most games feels sluggish and unresponsive. The enemies seem to move at double the speed as the rest of the rest of the game while the player must struggle with the controls. For some games like standard RPGs (i.e. South park the stick of truth) you can do a lower framerate with no issues. However for games that need high response times like FPS (i.e. Blacklight:retribution) or action/adventure rpgs (i.e. Dark souls) it severely hurts the players experience.

I come from a PC background so my hardware gets most games well over 60 fps and has for a long time. However back when the last of us came out (A PS3 exclusive) I remember trying to play that game and feeling like I was forced to put up with a major handicap. The different interface was one hurdle I could tackle (Im used to mouse and keyboard simply because they feel more accurate to me) but the framerate just made each combat encounter feel tedious. Another good example of awful framerates effecting the game is Dark souls when it was originally on consoles. Wandering through blightown caused the game to slow down to 8-10 fps (by my estimation) and this made the game nearly unplayable for everyone.

Now for resolution. Resolution is less of an issue for me. Im not a graphics whore where I have to have everything at peak graphical fidelity to enjoy it. A game can have PS1 era graphics and Ill still play the hell out of it if the gameplay is interesting. This is why X-com: Enemy unknown (1993) is still my favorite game of all time and something I play a couple times a week.

Both are important but for different reasons

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
In most games I start getting annoyed if my framerate is below 50, and will of course try to lower the graphics and stuff. Also resolution matters a ridiculous amount, moreso than any other graphic option. I had borderlands 2 on highest everything but with a resolution about half my monitor's size, and I was thinking "man this game looks freaking horrible, it's all blurry and pixellated" Then I checked graphics and realised, and adjusted it. If a game doesn't have my res, I'm not playing it. That being said, every game I play seems to have it, so it's moot.

All that aside, I find myself not minding so much about framerate in certain types of games, namely mmos. I'm always down to like 20 fps in boss fights in them, but never care too much. Anything else though, yeah.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Not particularly.

I'm one of those revolutionary chaps whose all in about storyline and gameplay. Sure, it's nicer to *see* everything better, more distinguishably, with finer details, but sometimes I can't help but to feel it kinda draws away at times when there's area's that just don't have the same quality.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It matters to me greatly really.

After playing games for so long it seems that I have developed a certain standard for what I expect my games to look like throughout the years, so much in fact that I no longer tolerate old games.

I have tried in the past year or so to go back and play the RPG's of old that I couldn't play back then (Icewind Dale, Fallout etc) and the fact that the graphics are so horrible it just messes with my eyes and I can't go through with it (the only exception being Planescape Torment that I finished 1 year ago).

Regarding frame rate is very important for the game to attain 60. I will do everything in my computer's power to tweak to be able to reach that no matter what. My low-medium now specced PC that I bought 3 years ago cannot handle what current games are coming out so I am just turning down shadows/motion blur/depth of field and other frame reducing options from the get go when I buy the recent games just to attain 60fps.

It's very important in terms of gameplay to get 60fps because I can sense the difference very well (after playing on the PC since the beginning). 30fps feels like I'm playing with a slow/fast forward hybrid motion at the same time, it irks me very much.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It doesn't matter much, most games runs with an inconsistent famerate and yet i'm still playing them and old games have low resolutions and yet i often prefer them to new ones (And it's always the first thing i sacrifice if i'm trying to run something on my pc). It would be better if the framerate was steady and high, but i don't have any particular need for anything over 30, just keep it consistent. As far as resolutions goes, i honestly don't care as long as i can see what things are supposed to look like.

The thing is, i only really notice these things the first 15 minutes, after that i get used to it and then it no longer matters. I only really notice it if the game sucks so much that i can't stop nitpicking it apart because i get bored and then, again, it wouldn't matter anyway cause i would hate the game regardless.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Seeing a lot of PC gamers here, as to be expected. I'm almost entirely a pure console gamer, and I'll give a bit of back story.

When I was about five or six, my parents bought our first computer. This was back in 95. We had some crappy PC games for kids, and also The Incredble Machine later on. We also had DooM (YEEEEEAAAAAAHH!). But our computer was pretty average for the time. Then my grandparents bought me and my brother a PS1, with Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and a few others years later. Over the year, our PS1 library built up. Then 98 came along and so did Metal Gear Solid, which blew my fuckin' mind as a kid. And then I got Final Fantasy 7 and 8 for a Christmas. We got a new computer which could play the first Lord of the Rings movie game in 2002...on low settings. Then I got an XBox with Halo, Hitman 2 and Conflit: Desert Storm, while my brother got a PS2 with GTA3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy 10. Our respective console libraries grew, while the most advanced game we had for PC by 2005 was Impossible Creatures. Or Age of Empires 2. Then the 360 came out while I was in high school. I didn't get a PS3 until 2010, but still. in 2012, I bought a laptop for myself and it could finally play Crysis on medium settings, even though I had the second for PS3.

So for my entire childhood and teenage years, I never had a PC that could do any real gaming, and parents and extended family members just bought me and my brother games on console. It wasn't until the early 2010's that I realized just how big PC gaming actually was, particularly when I moved in with a friend of mine who was a mad PC enthusiast. Because of this, I never knew why Half-Life 2 was such a big deal. Even today, I still found the lack of cutscenes pretty lame (Seriously, if I'm replaying it for the third time, I don't wan to stand here and listen to the old doctor dude who teleports you away prattle on about his fuckin' headcrab), and I wasn't too fussed on the story. But looking back at the time, I can see why it was such a technological marvel.

Anyway, back on topic. For almost my entire life, I've been playing on consoles which have lower settings than PC. I've been playing games at 30FPS for the 360/PS3 life with the exception of CoD games, Bioshock Infinite (Holy christ, that ability to turn off frame-rate lock is glorious. I don't care if I get a bit of screen tearing. The hightened speed makes it worth it). Resolution-wise, I've never noticed much difference, but it games, I definitely notice speed. And with the new consoles, and a fair few of the games running at 60FPS, I'm beginning to notice it a lot more when I go back and replay games on the 360 and PS3. Would I say it's important to me? Not really. I can play MGSV Ground Zeroes and definitely notice the improvement in speed and quality. I can play GTAV on the 360 at 30FPS and only really notice it if I'm looking at it. Since I am used to them running at slower FPS, it's noticeable when it speeds up, but 30 has been such a norm for so long, it's hard to see it as a hindrance (Except in Bioshock Infinite).