Does the universe even want to be explained.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Now, with all the things going on about particles going faster then light(thought to be impossible) and theories like Schrodinger's cat to confuse us even more, I have concluded that the Universe is sentient and will not and cannot, for some reason, let itself be fully explained. My theory is that for every mystery we solve will be another confusing situation, and it will carry on like a match of ping pong for the rest of all eternity, until the Universe decides to cheat and wipe us off itself like a human wipes an ant off of his knee. Thoughts, arguments, and opinions.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well, hold the phone for just one second here. Schrodinger's cat is theoretical science, though it does correlate with some verifiable quantum science. And you're right, we've collected a lot of data which would suggest that we have absolutely no idea what is going on. Things like the Observer Effect or some of the Quantum Entanglement experiments which are going on suggest that the basic particles of our universe actually do change their behavior when subjected to a conscious observer. We have absolutely no idea why that is, though personally speaking I would wager that it is not that the universe is trying to prevent us from knowing its secrets, and that it is actually that observation plays a much more important role in the universe than any of us realized.

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
I'm one of the sentient bits of universe, and I want to know how I work. So, yes.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Kpt._Rob said:
Well, hold the phone for just one second here. Schrodinger's cat is theoretical science, though it does correlate with some verifiable quantum science. And you're right, we've collected a lot of data which would suggest that we have absolutely no idea what is going on. Things like the Observer Effect or some of the Quantum Entanglement experiments which are going on suggest that the basic particles of our universe actually do change their behavior when subjected to a conscious observer. We have absolutely no idea why that is, though personally speaking I would wager that it is not that the universe is trying to prevent us from knowing its secrets, and that it is actually that observation plays a much more important role in the universe than any of us realized.
I didn't know that the Schrodinger's cat theory and the Observer effect were not the same thing, although I can understand that since they're basically the oposite thing. I was aware of this effect and that actually looking at something can influence it, as I've read that dark matter apparently disappears when observed. But you said that the Universe is trying to prevent us from unraveling it's secrets, but I mean something different. My theory is that the Universe itself is making up laws as it goes, and for every thing we explain, something else will be created to fill up it's space. This all ties back to the Observer Effect, meaning that any observation we explain will leave a spot to be filled in with another observation that we have to explain, until there is nothing left and the universe has no choice but to make us cease to exist.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Everything makes sense at some level, we just haven't reached it yet. We may never ever reach it, just by the virtue of existing inside the same system we are trying to observe. But the answers ARE there, somewhere.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
DAMN. HE KNOWS. ATTEMPTING DIVERSIONARY TACTIC.

Oh don't be silly! Of course the Universe isn't conscious/sentient/evil!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The mice are changing the parameters as part of their experiment. The Universe isn't doing anything.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Everything makes sense at some level, we just haven't reached it yet. We may never ever reach it, just by the virtue of existing inside the same system we are trying to observe. But the answers ARE there, somewhere.
Everything that exists NOW can be explained, but, in my theory, the Universe makes things up as it goes, meaning that, like I said in a reply before, every answer will lead to a new question being created. Again counting on Schrodinger's Cat that everything makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time, until we can make sense of it.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Should we discuss wether the universe wants to be explained?
I don't think the universe is sentient at all. Makes no sense from a scientific standpoint. Even the thought that the universe is sentient creates more questions.

shadu957

Nov 7, 2011
Hammeroj said:
Things are complicated, therefore the universe is sentient and does not want to be explained.

This isn't a theory. It's barely a hypothesis, there's almost nothing connecting the premise and the conclusion.
This is exactly what I thought when I saw this, thank you for saying it for me :D

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
DAMN. HE KNOWS. ATTEMPTING DIVERSIONARY TACTIC.

Oh don't be silly! Of course the Universe isn't conscious/sentient/evil!
Since you can't prove that the Universe is sentient nor not, I conclude that it is both until we observe it. Although I agree that everything in my theory is unlikely since the whole thing is based on the idea of: Since we don't know, you don't know if you're right. I know that it's ignorant, but due to recent behaviours of physics I can at least go ahead and try to say that it does make up laws as it goes, as the expectations of an observation can actually influence the end results of the observation. Apparently.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Although I conclude from a few reactions that a sentient universe is a bit farfetched, I will stay by my theory that for every answer will come a new question to take the old ones place. Until it is disproved by a combination of cynics, critics, and people who actually know what they're talking about(Calling out to all sensemakers!!!)

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Thetwistedendgame said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Everything that exists NOW can be explained, but, in my theory, the Universe makes things up as it goes, meaning that, like I said in a reply before, every answer will lead to a new question being created. Again counting on Schrodinger's Cat that everything makes sense and doesn't make sense at the same time, until we can make sense of it.
If the universe itself had a personality and will of its own, I somehow doubt that the personality in question would be reminiscent of the three stooges.

The fact that the universe is a difficult machine to understand doesn't mean there is a purpose behind those twists and turns. Each new set of questions and answers we come across have an order to them, a nature that falls in line with other aspects of reality.

We might bring this up again if we find something truly incredulous, like if we were to find the Higgs-Boson particle, only to discover that every friday it emits a sine wave to the tune of a particular Rick Astley song.

Now I kind of want to see that happen, just to see the look on the researchers face when they discover that they were rickrolled by god.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
(pssst, the universe, the human race is starting to catch on.)

Oh, they've only got a year to live anyway? Okay then.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Heronblade said:
Thetwistedendgame said:
Ordinaryundone said:
If the universe itself had a personality and will of its own, I somehow doubt that the personality in question would be reminiscent of the three stooges.

The fact that the universe is a difficult machine to understand doesn't mean there is a purpose behind those twists and turns. Each new set of questions and answers we come across have an order to them, a nature that falls in line with other aspects of reality.

We might bring this up again if we find something truly incredulous, like if we were to find the Higgs-Boson particle, only to discover that every friday it emits a sine wave to the tune of a particular Rick Astley song.

Now I kind of want to see that happen, just to see the look on the researchers face when they discover that they were rickrolled by god.
I'm not suggesting that the new questions are at total random, and that the the Universe knows what it is doing, and following a pattern of questions like you said. The only thing I'm saying is that that pattern is happening on purpose. That the Universe has thought this out to the finest detail, all to make us not notice that it is trying to keep us busy.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Well yes it's complicated and confusing, but it's not impossible. Phenomenon have been observed that don't agree with our current understanding and models, so we adjust the models and improve our understanding. As our methods of collecting and recording data evolve, so will our understanding of why things happen. One day we will have the answers, just not in the foreseeable future.

Also I'm surprised no one has quoted Douglas Adam yet
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Lizardon said:
Well yes it's complicated and confusing, but it's not impossible. Phenomenon have been observed that don't agree with our current understanding and models, so we adjust the models and improve our understanding. As our methods of collecting and recording data evolve, so will our understanding of why things happen. One day we will have the answers, just not in the foreseeable future.

Also I'm surprised no one has quoted Douglas Adam yet
"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
I OVERLOOKED THAT ONE! It appears my theory has already been used. Oh well, of to plot another plan to look smart! Happy there was another Hitchikers fan to let me see the light!

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Thetwistedendgame said:
Kpt._Rob said:
I didn't know that the Schrodinger's cat theory and the Observer effect were not the same thing, although I can understand that since they're basically the oposite thing. I was aware of this effect and that actually looking at something can influence it, as I've read that dark matter apparently disappears when observed. But you said that the Universe is trying to prevent us from unraveling it's secrets, but I mean something different. My theory is that the Universe itself is making up laws as it goes, and for every thing we explain, something else will be created to fill up it's space. This all ties back to the Observer Effect, meaning that any observation we explain will leave a spot to be filled in with another observation that we have to explain, until there is nothing left and the universe has no choice but to make us cease to exist.
Yeah, the Observer Effect is associated with the Double Slit Experiment. Schroedinger's cat, on the other hand, is really more of a metaphorical tool. We haven't run an actual experiment which verifies that while it's in the box the cat is in a simultaneous state of being dead and alive.

I would still disagree with that idea, though perhaps its closer to my own. My contention would be that the universe exists as we perceive it because we perceive it. Quantum science then is just barely beginning to understand the actual mechanisms by which the universe forms in response to conscious observation. I would never say that the universe has an active interest in trying to prevent itself from being explained though, but instead that its basic mechanics are just way more complex than previously realized, and so coming from our position of ignorance it might feel that way.