Does this Japanese Reality TV Sniper Prank Cross a Line?

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I saw this on break earlier and it is still funny. His face is priceless when all the other people get 'shot'

delet

Nov 2, 2008
The only thing I found funny was the 24 rip off at the end. Normally, these things are hilarious, but I can't side with this..

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
That was fucking hilarious.

I wish I could understand Japanese.
Stop slacking and learn it then?

As for the clip...well, as long as you make sure they've not got any issues like heart conditions which could be set off by the shock, I don't think it's a big deal. Humiliating? Yeah, a bit. But I bet that if you asked people, 99.99% (that's repeating of course) would say that they'd act in pretty much the same way.

Don't really mind this. Japanese have always taken their shows to the next level above (and often far below) what us Westerners will do.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sadly if it happened in the UK or US the TV company would be sued and forced to apologise.

MaxTheReaper said:
That was fucking hilarious.

I wish I could understand Japanese.
From the little Japanese I understand it was mainly 'waaaaaaaaaagh' (That is to say, he was screaming, I am not making an ill-tasted mockery of how the Japanese speak). Sadly most Japanese learning books/CD's tend to teach you how to order coffee rather than talk about being assassinated by a sniper rifle, wish they'd get their priorities right.

I also found it pretty funny, although he definitely deserves a huge prize for it.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I laughed so hard at that. Yeah, it's a little mean but give him some time and he'll be laughing about it. Also, I loved the use of the 24 soundtrack.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I don't need to say anything to make Japan look more ridiculous.

This is sort of crossing the line, but I know if I was put there and was in the same positon as that poor Businessman, I would have been terrified for my life, despite the fact I wasn't actually under attack.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
While this could be considered cruel, nothing is as cruel as watching Big Brother or any other god-awful "reality" TV show. I'd much rather watch this than the absolute crap we get.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Laughing at others pain is always wrong. That said, there is a line between slapstick and messing-with-ya and "scarring you to be a bastard then laughing at it". I think Japan crossed that line, but it was so long ago that people have stopped remembering it.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I think it all depends on your perspective whether or not it crosses the line. Being the audience I would say no. If it was me they did it too yes there was some definite line crossing going on there.

I wonder how much he was paid for it.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I think the first bit was funny when the sniper shot but the second bit when the gun man came in was taking it too far, that should of been the presenter coming in to tell him it was a joke not the gunmen making the guy cry.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Amnestic said:
Do you know who you're talking to?
Just how drunk are you, anyway?
Monday night, lecture tomorrow morning.

About drunk enough to kill a large dog or a moderately sized pony?

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
That was by far the funniest thing I've seen all week! It's so wrong, but it's fucking hilarious.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
At the risk of sounding like the people I hate, oh Japan (OK, it's more than that that earns my scorn).

It crosses the line twice [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrossesTheLineTwice], that is all.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's illegal as in to put someone in fear for their life, even if there was no danger, you can be arrested

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
Their prank shows are definitely a level above ours.

2 that will never leave my mind...
Place prank porta-potty in a location. A few moments after they were in the roof would open up and the platform would slowly raise them to be on top of the porta-potty. Was usually a long enough delay for them to have unzipped and started etc.

The other was a spa house on a ski resort. One of the chairs was rigged to drop down a set of ramps and ski down the hill of while the person in the chair was only wearing a towel at the point in time.

This one was a bit on the extreme side but I can not lie his face was totally priceless.