does this make you angry?

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
so i was talking to this person i know today... and she was bawling because steve jobs died. dont get me wrong, he was a great innovator, but i didnt know him personally so i shall not grieve. but what irritated me was that she was bawling about this guy she doesnt even know. i had to actually explain to her his innovations and his roles in the world. her replies are as followed...

"i dont care, he was part of monsters inc and i love that movie"
"im crying because he died"
me: why? you didnt know him. you dont know anything about him...
"because he was on tv and thats why im sad"
me: oh, so because he was on tv that automatically makes him better than you? does that somehow make him some kind of god in your eyes?
"yeah!"

it is at this point that i stopped talking, blinked a few times, grabbed the bridge of my nose, and sighed loudly.
just... i dont... i mean... seriously?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Its incredibly mawkish but then some people are more emotional then others.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
I understand your point perfectly but why should this make anyone angry?
If someone is unreasonably emotional to this level of arguably almost being stupid she got what she deserved. It's not that she feels good for her over-emotional reaction. Does she now?

This is one of the few times where being aware of the overall situations makes you feel better than others and not being depressed by it. So be happy, let poor Steve Jobs rest and that "emo-girl" with her problems alone.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
It rages me so much, people grieve so hard for celebrities but tell them the guy who lived down the road from them died and all you'll get is "oh, that's sad".

I hope it's a phony insincere display of emotion because the alternative is that people really do care more about someone just because they're famous which would be absolutely disgusting.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
I choked up a bit when Leslie Nielsen but didn't cry as I didn't know him but if Bruce Campbell passed on then I might squeeze a little tear out, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Actual said:
It rages me so much, people grieve so hard for celebrities but tell them the guy who lived down the road from them died and all you'll get is "oh, that's sad".
Do you? Generally, people this emotional will be like that with anyone.

I don't see the problem tbh

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
She's extra emotional. What's the big deal? Isn't getting angry over it just as pointless as her crying over a man she doesn't know?

Now, personally, I don't get it. Even if a celebrity I really liked died, I wouldn't cry over it. Then again, a friend of mine died recently and I didn't cry. Though the video memorial at his funeral almost made me cry a little. Really choked me up.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Some people have different opinions to you, and they may seem stupid, but just overlook what you don't like or agree with.

Besides I don't think being sad about someone's death is a bad thing, even they didn't know them personally. I cried when my favourite musician died...

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Wow, you're right, because it is surely an absolute terror that people care about those they don't know.

Surely this is the worst of horrors when humanity has developed the disease of having sympathy with those they can barely relate.
[/sarcasm]

sorry about the satire, but it seems to be the only way to get a point like this across.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
When was Steve Jobs in Monsters Inc.? Ah man, I really fancy watching that now. That's a damn good movie...

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
theheroofaction said:
Wow, you're right, because it is surely an absolute terror that people care about those they don't know.

Surely this is the worst of horrors when humanity has developed the disease of having sympathy with those they can barely relate.
[/sarcasm]

sorry about the satire, but it seems to be the only way to get a point like this across.
It's not so much about that, but rather that this sympathy is directed towards him because they heard about him on the TV. Would this same person care so strongly to hear about any of the other ~150,000 people that died yesterday?

That said, though, I do think it's appropriate to feel some more significant degree of sadness for the death of someone who's genuinely contributed quite a lot to the world. You don't need to have known him personally to appreciate what they've done and to feel a certain amount of respect-driven emotion over their passing.

EDIT:
thaluikhain said:
kman123 said:
Hey, if Taylor Swift died I might cry.
But, it'd be hilarious if Kanye interupted her funeral...sorta.
"Hey pastor, I'm sad for her, and imma let you finish, but Beyonce's death was the most tragic event of all time..."

This is a good example of something that would just be notable, as opposed to sad. In the long run, pop idols don't really mean much[footnote]modulo subjective experience and personal associations and of course their status as another human being[/footnote] in comparison with people who make things that change the way society runs.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
Indeterminacy said:
It's not so much about that, but rather that this sympathy is directed towards him because they heard about him on the TV. Would this same person care so strongly to hear about any of the other ~150,000 people that died yesterday?

That said, though, I do think it's appropriate to feel some more significant degree of sadness for the death of someone who's genuinely contributed quite a lot to the world. You don't need to have known him personally to appreciate what they've done and to feel a certain amount of respect-driven emotion over their passing.
Indeed. It may seem stupid that they mourn only because he was famous, but think for a second on what he was famous FOR. Personally I was rather disgusted with my local newspaper the day Jobs died, for running a gigantic bloody article on the front page about the local sports teams over his death or anything otherwise remotely important. (It's something they do regularly and why I've taken to reading other newspapers.) But I'm getting off track again...

The man helped move us forward. He contributed a great deal to us. Personally I'd rather have that person mourning him, even though they didn't know him except as a face on TV, than a football or basketball player or someone else by and large useless to humanity. At least hopefully in the long run future generations will learn that we appreciate the folks with brainpower just as much as those who can shoot a ball through a hoop.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
I'm getting annoyed at this too, all the "RIP Steve Jobs" bits on the internet as if these people know him. I have nothing against Steve Jobs, I'm aware of his contributions to modern technology but it just gets tedious after a while, hearing how he's dead everywhere I go. Thankfully, I've never met anyone who's actually cried over him (my sister didn't even cry when I told her and she's a HUGE Apple fan) but I don't think I'd actually be angry. Annoyed and frustrated maybe but not enough to tell them.

As much as it pains me to say it, people are entitled to their own emotions no matter how wrong they may be. ;)

RemuValtrez

Sep 14, 2011
It doesn't make me angry at all, for the most part I just nod along and agree that it is sad that someone has passed away. As Nyaliva said, people are entitled to their own emotions. It's a sad thing, sure. But nothing I personally would cry about.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
If she is just to emotional, then let her be sad. It´s just who she is. If she´s like that because and only because a celebrety died, then she is an idiot. And that´s it.
Either way, it isn´t worth getting mad about.