does your country have a word equivalent to "Murica"

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
There's a couple of them in my homeland. I prefer to use "Roissya" (optionally "Roissya vperde!") which can be broadly translated into English as "Ruissa" (or "Ruissa fofever"/"Ruissa fcuked up"). That originated from a hilarious typo on a Chinese-crafted Russia-patriotic badge.

Others use the word Rashka or even Pidorashka, which is more offensive.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
(Finnish here.)

The closest I can think of is the phrase 'Karjala takas!' which refers to somehow getting back the areas we lost to Russia during the WWII.
And the nationalistic people who would say things like those, and dumb nationalism in general.

Also more mocking version of that. 'Karjala takas vaikka pullo kerrallaan.' ,'We want Karelia back, bottle by bottle if necessary', referring to a brand of beer called 'Karelia'...

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
'Straya! Brings to mind the Australian man, wife beater blue singlet and a pair of stubby shorts with a durry in one hand and a load of goon in his belly.
Lol. Yeah, I don't think i've actually heard that used, but it would make perfect sense, what with the inherently lazy shorten everything approach Ozzies take to language... XD

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
That would be "'schland!"

It's what we say when we are trying to imitate overly patriotic Germans in an unflattering way.

Of course it's mostly used by smug, overly unpatriotic Germans who are just as annoying but that's a different matter entirely.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Lieju said:
(Finnish here.)

The closest I can think of is the phrase 'Karjala takas!' which refers to somehow getting back the areas we lost to Russia during the WWII.
And the nationalistic people who would say things like those, and dumb nationalism in general.

Also more mocking version of that. 'Karjala takas vaikka pullo kerrallaan.' ,'We want Karelia back, bottle by bottle if necessary', referring to a brand of beer called 'Karelia'...
It's maybe not too common to say IRL but I've noticed in the internet culture of our people (Finn also...) that everytime Finland gets mentioned somewhere it's the "Suomi Mainittu" (Finland Mentioned) captions all over the place. Mainly to show how small a country we are (just roughly over 6 miljon inhabitants).

Another one might be the "Torilla tavataan" (Let's meet at the marketplace) everytime we win something :p

And if someone tells us how lame we are, we also go to our beloved White Death (Simo Häyhä) to show how awesome we are :D

But this is mainly in the internet culture of our people (that includes me, Lieju and maybe 5 other people) ;)

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Guffe said:
Lieju said:
(Finnish here.)

It's maybe not too common to say IRL but I've noticed in the internet culture of our people (Finn also...) that everytime Finland gets mentioned somewhere it's the "Suomi Mainittu" (Finland Mentioned) captions all over the place. Mainly to show how small a country we are (just roughly over 6 miljon inhabitants).

Another one might be the "Torilla tavataan" (Let's meet at the marketplace) everytime we win something :p

And if someone tells us how lame we are, we also go to our beloved White Death (Simo Häyhä) to show how awesome we are :D

But this is mainly in the internet culture of our people (that includes me, Lieju and maybe 5 other people) ;)
I think we also go on about 'sisu' and 'Talvisodan henki', although the latter might be an older thing? And it used to be taken seriously, so not sure if it's equivalent to 'Murica'...

Sibelius, sauna ja sisu, ne on made in Finland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tNxr9LbYs

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think we have anything quite on par with 'Merica. At least, nothing that conveys stupid amounts of nationalism.

The closest I can think of is "Canadia" but, honestly, I hear that one more from Americans than other Canadians.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
From Hungary:

As a mockery of nationalist self-identification, I've heard "Turulisztán", with the Turul being a mythical bird and nationalist symbol, so that's more similar to "Eagleland" than to 'Murica.

When no mockery nationalism is implied, just nation's general self-deprecation, it is also simply "Magyarisztán", ("magyar" meaning "hungarian"), or occasionally "Abszurdisztán".

The focus on the -stan suffix is not islamophobic, it's intended to mock either the left's obsession with "catching up to the west" and how obviously we are sucking at it, or the right's fetishization of a glorious nomadic central asian past.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Here, in Russia, people can some times say Rossosia. Which is basically a pun that sounds like Ru-(suck it)-sia.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
In Greek, it differs from person to person and from age to age. I do not believe there is a concrete word that signals something stupid that has or is about to happen. There are a myriad words that can be applied to this situation but are also used when you say stuff like 'fuck' or 'crap'. I suppose you could use 'epikinonis' which translates as 'are you currently communicating with what's happening around you' and 'sovara' which translates as 'seriously'.

In Romanian, "Aiurea' should be the correct word.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Abomination said:
Not many countries have the combination of boastful chest-beating "Greatest country in the world!" combined with the issues the middle class faces on top of relatively poor education performance/standards in the United States.

If I remember correctly the term spawned from the "Team America" movie's theme song "America, Fuck Yeah!"
Actually I think it originated with the comedian Gallagher. He had a routine he would do, where he would make fun of, but also praise, the goofy sides of American life. And he would frequently punctuate the routine with a really redneck style, jingo-esque, fist pumping reply of "Murica!" That's the first time I remember hearing it. Maybe the meme itself has roots in something else, but that's where I first heard it.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
MrFalconfly said:
Cant come up with anything.

But then again, Denmark only has 5.5 million citizens.

Cue a lot of swedes saying that we speak like our mouth's are filled with potatoes (well, at least we can hold our liquor).
DANMAG! [https://www.reddit.com/r/DANMAG] You should visit us on reddit much pølse and hygge, but mostly pølse...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I suppose ours would be "Ing-ERRRR-land!". Most likely to be heard shouted at dull football matches or by skinheads and morons blaming muslims/immigrants/blacks for all their "problems".

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
O maestre said:
MrFalconfly said:
Cant come up with anything.

But then again, Denmark only has 5.5 million citizens.

Cue a lot of swedes saying that we speak like our mouth's are filled with potatoes (well, at least we can hold our liquor).
DANMAG! [https://www.reddit.com/r/DANMAG] You should visit us on reddit much pølse and hygge, but mostly pølse...
ROLF.

Gotta have that pølse.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
sanquin said:
We have one word that, when used in the right tone and context, means something similar. "Boer", or if directly translated, "Farmer". You're basically saying the person has a very crude/hill billy-like mentality.
I remember hearing the words 'boerenkinkel' & 'boerenlul' in that context often.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Res Plus said:
wooty said:
I suppose ours would be "Ing-ERRRR-land!". Most likely to be heard shouted at dull football matches or by skinheads and morons blaming muslims/immigrants/blacks for all their "problems".
It's almost like you don't like football! Not entirely sure every match is "dull", nor every fan who chants "England" a vile racist. In my experience, there's odd England fan who is Muslim, an immigrant and black. :)

In the interests of balance, may I suggest "Little Englander". It's a dog whistle terms used by people into knee jerk, "look at me" left wing politics; those who like to sneer at people who don't like or agree with the same things they do: posturing self-hate, obsessing about identity semantics, trying to ban things due to manufactured "offence" or trying to introduce a new tax to vote bribe some trendy minority or to enforce some social engineering obsession and "protect people from themselves", sugar taxes, that sort of thing.

Funnily enough, given the left's self-perceived intellectual and moral superiority, it's an entirely misunderstood the term. It used to mean someone who thought England's influence should stop at its borders, as in the empire should be abandoned: something the left very much approves of, but it now is used as a lazy short hand to dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with various left wing foreign policy beliefs; entirely open borders, for example.

England is nothing these days if not a left/right tribal mess.
I like football too much, I just can't stand watching the England national side *shudder*.

I guess my view is tainted by the weekly EDL "march" by the "Southport Squadron" going down the street shouting at all the Polish people who are just trying to shop/work. Gets a bit boring and repetitive after a while...

OhNoYouDidnt

Oct 22, 2013
In the Netherlands, we don't really have a word like that for the country as a whole, but we certainly have a few for groups of people who are... well, you know.

Henk en Ingrid, for example. Coined by populist politician Geert Wilders, 'Henk en Ingrid' are supposedly the archetypal "Dutch man and Dutch woman". Our "John and Jane", basically. "The common people who have had enough of The Establishment", that sort of thing. It was supposed to be quite earnest, but the term quickly came to mean "antisocial bastards", as some of Geert Wilders' voters have colourful personalities. If you know what I mean.

As a result, you generally won't see people use "Henk en Ingrid" unironically these days.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Eh? What're ya lookin' at ya dumb Canuck?
Stop talking about Vancouver's hockey team, they don't read the forums. :p
Being from Quebec, I know we tend to add "esti" (liberally translated as "Fuck yeah") to the province's name, in order to refer to something that's funny and somewhat unique to Quebec's overall culture.

So... Bilingual French-Canadians who resent their own bilingual status and who blow a gasket as soon as someone up in Westmount dares to speak to them in English? "Québec, esti!"

As a Canadian, however, I don't know. Does "Canadia" count? If anyone speaks French, all I know is that some of us in my family sometimes swap "Canada" for "Cadenas" ("padlock") on purpose, just because it sounds funny.