DoJ, Antitrust and Google

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
TBH, when it comes to arguments on here, Google is getting worse and worse. They promote trash third-hand mainstream news articles so heavily to the top of the results that tracking down good sources is easier on basically every other search engine.

lil devils x

๐ŸMore Lego Goats Please!๐Ÿ
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I used to remove IE completely after I'd installed a new browser. It's been a while since I last bothered, but I'm not even sure I could if I tried these days, seeing as MS amuses itself by automatically installing programs onto my computer that it wants rather than I want. I realised this when I saw a Candy Crush Saga update sucking on my laptop resources. I uninstalled it, and a Windows update or two later, there it was again. Fuck you, Microsoft.
That is exactly what it keeps doing to me when it updates. It is irritating as hell. It makes it so much worse that I have to then go to everyone's computer after updates and have to fix it not just one or two, but 11 computers so by the time I am about half way through doing so, I am to the point of wanting to throw them all out in the yard. ;x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
TBH, when it comes to arguments on here, Google is getting worse and worse. They promote trash third-hand mainstream news articles so heavily to the top of the results that tracking down good sources is easier on basically every other search engine.
I thought what google promotes is often different depending on where you live and your own search history.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Good, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple are monopolies whether the media wants to admit it or not. The problem is that some countries like South Korea, but primary China doesn't care about monopolies as having monopolies enhances the power of their state as giant companies due to economies of scale in some if not all cases make them more efficient. We need some sort of global anti-trust regulation, and for those industries with unlimited economies of scale, we need price-gorging rules.

Also, you are never going to get me to use firefox let alone whatever trash internet explorer Microsoft is cooking up the same goes for Google, and bing, and yahoo search.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
Good, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple are monopolies whether the media wants to admit it or not. The problem is that some countries like South Korea, but primary China doesn't care about monopolies as having monopolies enhances the power of their state as giant companies due to economies of scale in some if not all cases make them more efficient. We need some sort of global anti-trust regulation, and for those industries with unlimited economies of scale, we need price-gorging rules.

Also, you are never going to get me to use firefox let alone whatever trash internet explorer Microsoft is cooking up the same goes for Google, and bing, and yahoo search.
Calling Google's search engine a monopoly is essentially trying to punish them for making a superior product than others. There is nothing preventing people from using Bing, Duckduckgo or anything else they want to. google doesn't prevent people from doing so. People just CHOOSE to use google. That is not a monopoly.

A monopoly is like when At&T is the only ISP you can have because you live in an a certain area and that is all you can receive in that area and At&T wont share the fiber with anyone else so you have no choice.

What search engine DO you use?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I use google, but I am not looking at choices, I am looking at Market-share, and the Google search engine is a monopoly in it of itself by this definition.

ISPs are definite monopolies, and it's funny you mention AT&T, the only reason I use them is that I have two choices(Spectrum, and At&t), and Spectrum keeps increasing prices.

Also, ISPs are local monopolies like a cabin company in a woodlands area is, and I think those do need more regulation. The problem is Comcast buys the democrats, and Verizon and AT&T buy the Republicans.

Last edited:

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I use google, but I am not looking at choices, I am looking at Market-share, and the Google search engine is a monopoly in it of itself by this definition.

ISPs are definite monopolies, and it's funny you mention AT&T, the only reason I use them is that I have two choices(Spectrum, and At&t), and Spectrum keeps increasing prices.

Also, ISPs are local monopolies like a cabin company in a woodlands area is, and I think those do need more regulation. The problem is Comcast buys the democrats, and Verizon and AT&T buy the Republicans.
The difference though is Google have more people choosing to use them, that doesn't mean they should downgrade their product so others can compete with them, others should just step up their game. People have choices, however, it is not googles fault those choices suck. There is no improper conduct on Googles part, which is required to be an illegal monopoly.

I don't use Comcast, Verizon or At&T... none of them should have special treatment by the government regardless.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The difference though is Google have more people choosing to use them, that doesn't mean they should downgrade their product so others can compete with them, others should just step up their game. People have choices, however, it is not googles fault those choices suck. There is no improper conduct on Googles part, which is required to be an illegal monopoly.

I don't use Comcast, Verizon or At&T... none of them should have special treatment by the government regardless.
It's not their fault, but they are still a monopoly. We should break up Google into their search engine, android, their phones, and etc.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
It's not their fault, but they are still a monopoly. We should break up Google into their search engine, android, their phones, and etc.
That makes no sense and that isn't even what is being addressed in this suit. Their other branches are not even involved with their search engine in the first place. That would be singling them out when we have other companies doing a variety of things. You are just trying to punish them for their success. They are actually owned under Alphabet.

We have a good number of companies that own a ton of other companies as well. There is no reason to single them out for this.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
TBH, this is garbage. We can choose whatever browser and search option we want to use, people choosing to use Google isn't anti trust, what is REALLY anti trust is AT&T internet due to many not even having a choice, and them being the only provider in the area forcing people to use a crappy service. They need to go after ISP's for their monopolies on ISP instead because no choice = monopoly. This admin isn't going to do that however, they literally put AT&T in charge of the FCC instead. They really need to make it so anyone can use any ISP they want and they all have to share fiber like they did for phone lines. That would make AT&T convulse, but that would be a GREAT thing. The best thing that could happen to the US would be for AT&T to go out of business, because they are a shitty company with even worse service, and I am glad I don't have to use them where I live now..

People make search engines all the time, it isn't Google's fault their search engines suck. We can choose to use duckduckgo when we want, it isn't like just because we use one we can't use other's whenever we want. I say this is a BS suit without grounds, but doesn't surprise me one bit from an administration that is up AT&T's rear. At&T is ALSO who blocked Google from trying to give the US the fastest Internet for Free and sued them for unfair trade practices blocking Google's efforts. Like somehow fastest internet for free is a bad thing. AT&T is what is holding the US back from having faster internet, yet they make up BS suits against google for making products people prefer to use over theirs.
I hate to side with Epic games here but google does have a bit of a stranglehold in some areas. Epic managed to do a deal with a mobile provider to install Epic Game mobile store by default but Google managed to fight them on it and I think took them to court over it (I'm not 100% on that last bit) but they did stop it happening.

Also part of Google's power is it's big enough it can undercut most other opposition services and controls so much of the market.

They do need to go after ISP (from what I've heard of USA ISPs)

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The suit is BS though because there is nothing preventing us from using multiple services. We can use google and Duckduckgo, Bing, Yahoo and whoever else we want to use whenever we want. People choosing to use google more isn't Google's fault. What have they done exactly that prevents someone else from making another search engine? There is no antitrust here is the issue.
The problem here is more likely to be multiple services. It Google dominates the search engine business because it's better, given alternatives are there, okay. But if it (well, Alphabet) also owns YouTube, and its web brower (which is the default on a gazillion mobile phones), and maps, and all the other gazillion software systems, there's a risk it creates a "synergy" that, whilst useful for users, also creates a substantial obstruction to other entrants to the marketplace, as their products are always inferior to Google's because they don't have the same advantage of tying into everything else that people are using, or that Google gives its own systems favour.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I hate to side with Epic games here but google does have a bit of a stranglehold in some areas. Epic managed to do a deal with a mobile provider to install Epic Game mobile store by default but Google managed to fight them on it and I think took them to court over it (I'm not 100% on that last bit) but they did stop it happening.

Also part of Google's power is it's big enough it can undercut most other opposition services and controls so much of the market.

They do need to go after ISP (from what I've heard of USA ISPs)
What does Epic have to do with Google's search engine anti trust suit?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
The problem here is more likely to be multiple services. It Google dominates the search engine business because it's better, given alternatives are there, okay. But if it (well, Alphabet) also owns YouTube, and its web brower (which is the default on a gazillion mobile phones), and maps, and all the other gazillion software systems, there's a risk it creates a "synergy" that, whilst useful for users, also creates a substantial obstruction to other entrants to the marketplace, as their products are always inferior to Google's because they don't have the same advantage of tying into everything else that people are using, or that Google gives its own systems favour.
Apple, Microsoft, Amazon.. they all have similar synergy though. It isn't like Google is the only one in the game here.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
Google search is a default thing on most android phones.
Samsung internet is the default on my Samsung phones. I had to add google to use it. Is if default from the manufacture or added by the mobile carriers? I always buy my phone outright elsewhere and then change carriers at will so I have no idea what phone carriers add to them. I thought they tended to add a good deal of apps on there a lot of the time. How is that any different than any other app having a contract with manufacture or carrier? Is that any different than Microsoft having edge as default? Apple with apple products? Is that preventing other search engines from being added?

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
That makes no sense and that isn't even what is being addressed in this suit. Their other branches are not even involved with their search engine in the first place. That would be singling them out when we have other companies doing a variety of things. You are just trying to punish them for their success. They are actually owned under Alphabet.

We have a good number of companies that own a ton of other companies as well. There is no reason to single them out for this.

I am not singling them out, I am in support of doing this to every company like the companies you mentioned.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I am not singling them out, I am in support of doing this to every company like the companies you mentioned.
If it is not resulting in a higher quality product at a lower price then there is no point in really doing so is there? The purpose should always be to improve. If that isn't the goal here it is not serving a beneficial purpose.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I mean, even if google didn't pay company to be the default option in many case, people would just naturally change it to google if not have company naturally do it themselves. The only time when that wouldn't be the case would be when company have their own search engine (ie bing being the default search engine for edge) which is hardly what I'd consider pro consumer move.

I don't see how splitting search from other google aspect would help. It'd be quite the pain in the ass if searching on google couldn't give you maps or youtube link. Beside plenty of other company were able to emerge, Twitch is very similar to youtube (and youtube quickly implemented twitch like feature) yet Twitch managed to carve it's own niche and afaik google doesn't discriminate against twitch in its search.

Or do they want to force google search to split some other way, like you could only search certain thing on google and would need to use another search engine for anything else?

Things like search engine will always end up with few dominant player, there's just no reason it wouldn't happen since they're free and accessible anywhere. The only group that could potentially benefit from google being weakened are advertisers, since they could probably pay less if the market was full of small company rather than one dominant one. But should consumer really care about that?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
๐ŸUSA๐Ÿ
I mean, even if google didn't pay company to be the default option in many case, people would just naturally change it to google if not have company naturally do it themselves. The only time when that wouldn't be the case would be when company have their own search engine (ie bing being the default search engine for edge) which is hardly what I'd consider pro consumer move.

I don't see how splitting search from other google aspect would help. It'd be quite the pain in the ass if searching on google couldn't give you maps or youtube link. Beside plenty of other company were able to emerge, Twitch is very similar to youtube (and youtube quickly implemented twitch like feature) yet Twitch managed to carve it's own niche and afaik google doesn't discriminate against twitch in its search.

Or do they want to force google search to split some other way, like you could only search certain thing on google and would need to use another search engine for anything else?

Things like search engine will always end up with few dominant player, there's just no reason it wouldn't happen since they're free and accessible anywhere. The only group that could potentially benefit from google being weakened are advertisers, since they could probably pay less if the market was full of small company rather than one dominant one. But should consumer really care about that?
I would see them trying to tell google you can't have this in your search results would be overstepping their bounds and harmful to consumers. Trying to FORCE consumers to use one search engine or another would be more of a problem then just allowing them to compete on the quality of their own products. People will use what they feel best suits their needs.

Trying to downgrade google would be like saying "well those shoes are too good for your feet so you have to stop making good shoes and make crappier shoes that hurt your feet so these other crappier shoe makers can compete with you." that is a horrible precedent to set.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Media Diversity!